Hydaelyn Role-Players
Decision between Servers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Decision between Servers (/showthread.php?tid=3253)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Decision between Servers - Gideon Aryeh - 08-03-2013

"I can't speak on what groups are organizing outside of the RPC"/"So while its not impossible I can honestly say I won't stand for it"

RE: Decision between Servers - Aysun - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 07:20 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: "I can't speak on what groups are organizing outside of the RPC"/"So while its not impossible I can honestly say I won't stand for it"

Who are you to stop them..?? You won't stand for it.. what will you do? Oust them from Gilgamesh? It's not your server.. o_O I can't believe you're saying what I think you're saying..

RE: Decision between Servers - Desmond Aryll - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 07:20 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: "I can't speak on what groups are organizing outside of the RPC"/"So while its not impossible I can honestly say I won't stand for it"

And you say you aren't the leader of Gilgamesh Rp. lol

(puts on "Rock Sandbourne for pres" button) Thumbsup

RE: Decision between Servers - Ashren Dotharl - 08-03-2013

I think the problem is how you went about saying it. You quoted Aysun saying cliques will happen, then you replied simply with "nope" and then continued from there making it sound like you were speaking for everyone.

The issue I have with this is it really isn't your place to tell anyone how to RP. You say you're not elitist, but you also say you won't tolerate a certain type of roleplayer. Even though I believe cliques can be detrimental to a community, I also believe that they are an inevitable part of any community.

RE: Decision between Servers - Seohyun - 08-03-2013

I don't understand what's the big deal about cliques anyway. Every real life establishment has them, schools have them, workplaces, communities, games, etc. There's always going to be cliques. There are cliques on Balmung, I'm not going to parade and say "Oh no! I swear we're not." But we're accepting if people want to join into these so called "cliques"

But what people need to understand is that it's not just Balmung. Wouldn't Gilgamesh need to be a clique in order to survive until the player base flourishes? What's going to happen a month after release when characters on Gilgamesh have started to flesh out their RP and made in-game friends, then a new player comes along and accuses the group of being a clique?

Both servers are going to have cliques no matter what you do, because some players are going to choose to RP that way. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, it's going to happen. But that's just my honest opinion because it's kind of natural. Pick a server that suits your needs and the type of roleplay you're looking for, or the way you want to play the game, but not because you want to avoid several people coming together and forming a group.

RE: Decision between Servers - Nahue - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 07:13 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 06:56 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 06:18 PM)Khy Wrote: This is a pretty unique situation, given that (as far as I know) this is the only major MMO to ever release then get shutdown and remade. This is the way I see it though... Balmung, while it may already have established groups and cliques and storylines that have taken place, it also has the most stable group of core RPers, given that these are the players who have been in the game the most and already have a ton invested in their characters and the quality of the RP community.

Now, it would be easy to look at that and see those players as potentially being elitist or RP snobs who don't want new players coming in and mucking up their storylines. And sure, there probably are at least some players who are like that. But as a whole? I'd imagine the old RP community would love for nothing more than a wave of new roleplayers with new characters and new idea to come in and bring new life to the community. After all, half the fun of RPing is meeting and interacting with new characters and sharing new stories together. So really, an already stable community with dedicated core roleplayers AND incoming new roleplayers? That sounds pretty good to me.

And, this is just my own personal opinion, but I think the whole movement of players going to Gilgamesh sucks. I mean, nothing against those who are, because I know why they're doing it and I totally understand the reasoning behind it, but at the end of the day the end result is that it's fragmenting the potential community between servers. Personally I think it'd just be funner having all the roleplayers in one place, so it's kind of disappointing.

Anyway, that's basically the reasoning in my head for why I chose Balmung.

Cheers! Summed up my thoughts more eloquently than I could. >>;

Balmung can be intimidating, but at the same time, the 'old-timers' from 1.0 are already likely outnumbered by the amount of new RPers (and non-RPers, so 1-10 won't be that lonely, that's for sure..) joining us there. Cliques are going to exist anywhere you go, and are likely already forming within the Gilgamesh community as well. You just have to take that step, and trust that you will be welcomed--which will be the case on either server. In the end it's your choice.

So while I am saying its not impossible, I am definitely saying that I won't stand for it at all and show you the door if you are involved with what me and others are doing to facilitate a non elitist environment on Gilgamesh. 

Do you even understand what elitism means? Cause you are doin' it now.

(08-03-2013, 07:25 PM)Aysun Wrote:

Who are you to stop them..?? You won't stand for it.. what will you do? Oust them from Gilgamesh? It's not your server.. o_O I can't believe you're saying what I think you're saying..
 Its not about stopping them, no its not my server, but will I let it be known that being part of the community its not cool? Yes I will.

Please don't put words in my mouth. But as someone who is seen as representing the server on this site. Yes I will gladly tell them that your ways are not welcome. We don't have to talk we don't have to like each other, but I won't lie to them either.

No, its not cool, it doesn't make things better it makes them worse, and honestly I'd prefer not to see it. People can go where they want. but as someone who is trying to unify the roleplayers on the server, especially with two linkshells. No, I don't want to deal with them. If others are cool with them fine. But I'm not.

And taking a quote from Freelance Wizards book, I hope the community as a whole feels the same that is coming to Gilgamesh. Because I too am of the school that certain types of attitudes should be slashed and burned when it comes to roleplay. Clques are non inclusive and can shun other or completely lock them out. Please understand I am talking about the jerks of the cliquey types. There is nothing wrong with keeping to yourselves but those who can be jerks about it bringing all sorts of negative behavior that leads to bad rp stereotypes, rp server deaths and the like? Yeah Rock Sandbourne doesn't like you because you do more harm than good. So go away.

A good example of this already happening is the shunning of the Reddit and 4chan communities. Both have groups interested in roleplay but are already being shunned by some in the roleplay community. This ain't cool, it just ain't so if someone has a problem with me not wanting to deal with people who lock people out of roleplay for ANY reason and I'm talking about people who genuinely WANT to roleplay  well guess we just aren't talking anymore. Trust me you won't be missed.

And in my book that's great that they want to keep to themselves. Limitless Sky and Coalition OOC will be glad to not hand you a pearl.

No it isn't my server, but am I going to try my best to lead by example?

Yep

RE: Decision between Servers - Kira - 08-03-2013

[quote pid=40362 dateline=1375572948]
 Limitless Sky and Coalition OOC will be glad to not hand you a pearl.
[/quote]
 Doesn't that make you a clique? and a rather overbearing one it seems, from the posts I've read so far >.>

RE: Decision between Servers - Folken - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 07:35 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: And in my book that's great that they want to keep to themselves. Limitless Sky and Coalition OOC will be glad to not hand you a pearl.

But...doesn't that make them a clique? Excluding someone just because they tend to keep to themselves?

(08-03-2013, 07:40 PM)Shippuu Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 07:35 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote: And in my book that's great that they want to keep to themselves. Limitless Sky and Coalition OOC will be glad to not hand you a pearl.

But...doesn't that make them a clique? Excluding someone just because they tend to keep to themselves?
  "Please understand I am talking about the jerks of the cliquey types. There is nothing wrong with keeping to yourselves but those who can be jerks about it bringing all sorts of negative behavior that leads to bad rp stereotypes, rp server deaths and the like? Yeah Rock Sandbourne doesn't like you because you do more harm than good. So go away."

RE: Decision between Servers - Reiry - 08-03-2013

I just wanted to insert myself into this thread before it gets locked.

RE: Decision between Servers - Ashren Dotharl - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 07:35 PM)Rock Sandbourne Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 07:25 PM)Aysun Wrote:

Its not about stopping them, no its not my server, but will I let it be known that being part of the community its not cool? Yes I will.

Please don't put words in my mouth. But as someone who is seen as representing the server on this site. Yes I will gladly tell them that your ways are not welcome. We don't have to talk we don't have to like each other, but I won't lie to them either.

No, its not cool, it doesn't make things better it makes them worse, and honestly I'd prefer not to see it. People can go where they want. but as someone who is trying to unify the roleplayers on the server, especially with two linkshells. No, I don't want to deal with them. If others are cool with them fine. But I'm not.

And taking a quote from Freelance Wizards book, I hope the community as a whole feels the same that is coming to Gilgamesh. Because I too am of the school that certain types of attitudes should be slashed and burned when it comes to roleplay. Clques are non inclusive and can shun other or completely lock them out. Please understand I am talking about the jerks of the cliquey types. There is nothing wrong with keeping to yourselves but those who can be jerks about it bringing all sorts of negative behavior that leads to bad rp stereotypes, rp server deaths and the like? Yeah Rock Sandbourne doesn't like you because you do more harm than good. So go away.

A good example of this already happening is the shunning of the Reddit and 4chan communities. Both have groups interested in roleplay but are already being shunned by some in the roleplay community. This ain't cool, it just ain't so if someone has a problem with me not wanting to deal with people who lock people out of roleplay for ANY reason and I'm talking about people who genuinely WANT to roleplay  well guess we just aren't talking anymore. Trust me you won't be missed.

And in my book that's great that they want to keep to themselves. Limitless Sky and Coalition OOC will be glad to not hand you a pearl.

No it isn't my server, but am I going to try my best to lead by example?

Yep
What about groups that are invitation only because they are extremely picky about who they allow into their circle of friends and what not? Not everyone wants to RP with everyone else, and some people prefer requiring applications and what not. Do you consider these LS or FCs as being cliques because they don't allow everyone to join them and stick mostly to themselves? I think cliques are more a matter of perception, what you see as being a clique someone else may view as merely being cautious and close knit.

RE: Decision between Servers - Nel Celestine - 08-03-2013

[Image: 6361_7685_500.png]

This should not devolve into another thread of pointless bickering.  We're all stressed to the limit right now.  It's crunch time with less than a month until release.  Everyone needs to take a step back and chill.

[Image: 245381__UNOPT__safe_scootaloo_apple-bloo...etajpg.jpg]

RE: Decision between Servers - Ildur - 08-03-2013

I think that a better definition of what Rock is tryint to say is that he doesn't like exlusive jerks, i.e., jerks that exclude others out of RP. They just happen to be cliquey by proxy, but it doesn't mean that cliques are bad. Indeed, I'd argue that cliques are kind of natural: people who like each other will, of course, spend more time with each other than with strangers. The clique becomes a problem if they go out of their way to push people aside, I'd say.

RE: Decision between Servers - Aysun - 08-03-2013

Honestly I think some legitimate questioning is going on at the moment. I for one was appalled Rock's statements, and had to clarify what he meant, to ensure I was not misinterpreting them.

I also can't help but find it amusing how against cliques he is, yet he was the lead-runner of the biggest clique thus far in this community: the splitting off to Gilgamesh.

I know this thread will be locked, but I had to say that. Undecided