Hydaelyn Role-Players
Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Gilgamesh versus Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=3433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Alothia - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 12:00 PM)Lake Desire Wrote: I am probably starting a new character and still going to Balmung for reasons others have noted: established community, larger RP population. 

I did play 1.0 for a few months and go to level 30 on conjurer (one of the classes I plan to level), but I want to reroll so I can get a name that matches lore, and I want the experience of bringing up a character in the new game. 

I also have a few friends I made in 1.0 that are still about.  I played on Besaid (which is now Balmung) and would like to see them.

We want to see you toooooooo~! <3

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Abriael - 08-11-2013

Ultimately splitting the RP community is a very bad idea. I suggest to roll on Balmung. 

"oh my god! People are gonna have an headstart!" Yeah, so? There will always be people ahead of you in the curve, headstart or not. It's the nature of MMORPGs.

Having veteran players in the same server just means that you'll have more people able to help if you're in trouble and there's some content you can't overcome.

Ultimately, if one really wants to build a RP community, levels and competion should really be the last things he worries about. You don't roleplay with levels. The rest is simply a matter of ego, and ego doesn't really go hand in hand with good roleplay.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Nel Celestine - 08-11-2013

I direct your attention on this subject to this topic instead.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - T'salmaveth - 08-11-2013

I actually had this conversation with my sister last night while working on my wiki. She is a much more 'progression is what matters' type, though I still giggle at her about it. (She got into MMOs later than I did and I was a 'hardcore/server first' raider back in DAoC/Vanilla-WoW days, so her 'raider mentality' is very... "cute" to me, as I retired from that for relaxing and RP focused game-play.)

Her issues are addressed in this video... the Economy and people having max levels and getting to do End Game stuff right off the bat. I told her the entire reason for joining Balmung was the RP community that I have been observing for awhile now. (Staaaaaaaalker....) With no 'official' RP server, I'd rather go to a server that already has an established community and is known for it. The people here are friendly enough that I don't feel concerned, as I did originally, by the Legacy aspect of it. (Jealous? Yes... but I'm a 'collector' at heart and knowing I won't be able to ever get some of those goodies galls me just enough that I sulk every now and then. But it's all in good fun, I also will viciously fight for/defend Legacy for their support of the game.)

For me, the biggest reason I decided to talk my friends out of Gilgamesh were the large 'other communities' that have declared their intent to go, such as Reddit and, I've heard, 4chan. (Not sure about 4chan?) It's just a personal thing but... I'm just not keen on that. Again, just me.

Granted, I'm still 'nervous' about the economy, but at the same time, I'm not. I can only hope that prices aren't obscene for new players and knowing there will be crafters ready and able to make a massive range of gear for people who level fast or slow is great. They can also help newer players learn how to do the crafting classes well.

In the end, I think my sister was dragged off to a totally different server choice, I think Behemoth. But that's her call and what her friends are most comfortable with. While I don't want the niche community split up, I also want people to play the game the way they are the most comfortable and can have the most fun. Some things matter more to some than others and respecting that will let everyone have fun.

(My only concern is a population cap with the server being full since it is Legacy. I hope my friends don't have problems getting onto the server. >_>)

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Yeldir Melfusor - 08-11-2013

4chan has decided against Gilgamesh. Reddit, on the other hand, has its own FF14 roleplay subreddit, and we intend to recruit out of them. Reddit has proven pretty reasonable so far. I mean, really. They're some guys playing videogames. I'm not exactly sure what you hope to accomplish by trying to talk anyone out of one server or another but a further division of the community you claim to be protecting.

Morever, by actively trying to dissuade people from mingling with Reddit and the like, you are worsening their perception of us, instigating an "us vs them" relationship. Any Redditers who pass your post by (and they are, in fact, among us) are going to take your story back to Reddit, which harms the efforts of the Gilg crew to cultivate a good working relationship with those guys.

In short, you've acting like kind of a jerk, T'sal. Don't be the stereotypical isolationist roleplayer. That's really going out of style.

Hey hey, hang on. I just said it was a personal thing. I wasn't comfortable for my own reasons with something and discussed with with the people who make up my little gaming group. I lurk the FFXIV subreddit and haven't seen any reason to have an 'issue' with them, but I presented everything I knew and compared notes with the people I game with on a regular basis while answering some questions from my sister. If anything, their concern(aside from a friend who dislikes Reddit for their own reasons), they were more concerned with the size of an incoming community than where they were from.

I'm sorry you take my post as being offensive, it wasn't presented that way and I was simply speaking about the variety of conversations people around me have had and why. There is someone I play with who had a very bad impression from Reddit and two that are regular members of several subreddits. It's simply finding a place we all felt happy being. That's all.

Given that I've already dragged two of my friends into trying RP, which they haven't done before, I'm hardly an 'isolationist'.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Young Ace - 08-11-2013

Hello, people I am new, I plan to buy FFXIV ARR soon Big Grin Nice to meet you all Chocobo

Okay, I'll buy that. I've made some posts lately with the very best of intentions, that were taken very badly. No hard feelings.

I hope you can appreciate, the, er, politics of the situation. We can't be having this kind of ooo-reddit-ickyyy business going into 2.0. Rock Sandbourne co, you know, they've already been having talks with these communities I so often hear vilified, and there is genuine interest on their end. Some of their numbers want to give RP a try - we're going to go out of our way to make them feel welcome.

You see where I'm coming from, I hope?

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Nel Celestine - 08-11-2013

(08-11-2013, 05:22 PM)Nel Celestine Wrote: I direct your attention on this subject to this topic instead.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Domri Blackblade - 08-11-2013

It's not just reddit though. Bluegartr is going to have a huge presence there. And a lot of very big gaming community names. That's personally what gave me pause, but I'll probably have a character on Gilgamesh as well! I probably won't restrict myself to one place. Who knows. =3

I think it's a great opportunity to have a very diverse community, it'll just take a little bit of work.

Of course I do and it would be awesome to have responsible good players joining, regardless of from where or what brought them there.

That said, I'm not going to be disingenuous or lie about my reasoning for something when having a mature conversation about why choices are made or what influenced them. If anything, that should hopefully lead into other conversations on multiple fronts on why I, or those I have spoken with, have those opinions and how they can be addressed. Having a decent conversation about why a person might be uncomfortable with something doesn't have to be taken as an attack on whatever that thing is, but more a chance to explore why and how to deal with it.

The more the merrier in a mature playing community. I hope you see where I was coming from in my post, too. There ARE people who are very uncomfortable with a variety of other communities... heck, I know friends who spent 15 minutes reading through the FFXIV beta forums and told me they weren't sure they wanted to play because of the community! (I directed them here and told them to just breathe and not take beta forums seriously...)

In the end, once I log into my server I don't care where other people came from before coming there. What will matter to me is how they act once we're in Eorzea. I would be more annoyed if they decided to identify themselves as not from their server community but as from a community outside of the game, ya know? Heh.

Like I said, in the end I hope everyone finds a home where they are happy and secure for whatever reasons they have and have lots of friends to play with.

Jolly good, T'sal! I'm glad we can understand each other.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - RaylenorSelzen-akaga - 08-23-2013

I believe I will create my character on gilgamesh just so I can be a part of the creation process. I love the idea of establishing a community, no offense to Balmung.

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Yeldir Melfusor - 08-23-2013

Hey, welcome to the club, Zaru! We're all too excited now, with early access mere hours away, to worry too much about this old argument. There are tons of people going to both servers by now for their roleplay needs, and both of them are in for a pretty good time.

See you at the beach party?

RE: Gilgamesh versus Balmung - Bloodwillow - 08-23-2013

It wasn't easy to pick a server for me and the spouse.  We wanted RP and we also wanted to be situated before head start.  We looked around and both servers were always locked.   I ended up liking a guild shown here on Gilgamesh and made my char literally 15 minutes before head start ended.