Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated (/showthread.php?tid=3827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - denizenx - 08-25-2013

They should have done more to prepare for this I think. Investing extra money and being over prepared for the second launch of a game that had one of the most terrible launches in gaming history is better than being ill prepared and getting caught with your pants down.

You want to give the players giving you a second chance a good impression rather than a poor one if you want to keep them paying the monthly subscription. :/

Tonberry

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Delixcroix - 08-26-2013

Tonberry Is there any plans to change where all us roleplayers are going to go? The fact that Reddit claimed Gilgamesh means a lot of people will never get on nevermind roleplay there. We need another unofficial RP server.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Fox - 08-26-2013

This was posted in another thread, since it was mentioned here about another rp server.

Kylin Wrote:To clarify, the RPC will not now or ever support a third Rp server (unless SE themselves designate it). I understand this may not be what some want to hear. But the RPC has to consider long term consequences over the short term ones. This decision is final, whether you agree or disagree. Sorry. I understand this is frustrating, but know that the problem exists with ALL NA/EU servers. I can't even login to the game myself right now and have created a temp character on a JP server just to run around, so I understand people are frustrated. But again...long-term consequences > short-term consequences.

That being said, there's nothing stopping those locked out from uniting amongst themselves for either a temporary or permanent solution. But that ball is in their court, not mine or the mods or anyone else's. Just be forewarned that the RPC will not itself strongly advocate other servers going forward beyond Balmung and Gilgamesh.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Delixcroix - 08-26-2013

All I can say to that is the RPC has dug it's grave before Early access was even completed. If they are waiting for Enix to upgrade their servers this website might as well have password access at this point because there is never gonna be new blood with the servers doors locked shut.

Things are not going to get better when the games full release comes either.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Alothia - 08-26-2013

(08-26-2013, 07:24 AM)Delixcroix Wrote: All I can say to that is the RPC has dug it's grave before Early access was even completed. If they are waiting for Enix to upgrade their servers this website might as well have password access at this point because there is never gonna be new blood with the servers doors locked shut.

Things are not going to get better when the games full release comes either.

Have you ever participated in a launch of an MMO? This happens all the time. It happened in SWTOR. It happened in GW2. It happens. We knew this was going to happen, and many people who are trying to get in understand that this happens.

The RPC is a hub for RP in this game. If we want the community to stay strong, we can't spread ourselves too thin. What happens when a third server fills up? Move to a fourth? A fifth? And then when access does open up again, then what?

We can only ask that people stay patient. They will open the servers back up.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Lan Darklyn - 08-26-2013

I'm new to FF 14 and obviously new to this site. I am not new to MMOs or RP though. (I'll do an intro thread later today hopfully)
Anyway I must agree with everyone that wishes us to use paitence. The RP community is small enough as is and if we spread out over too many servers we will our sense of community dissolve and the RP sessions will be few and far between.
SE will fix the problems, it has been a rough start for the game, but they have a lot rideing on this, they don't want to see it fail. Stay strong everyone, and stick together.

Alothia is right, this happens with all MMOs, some longer than others. In Rift I waited for maybe an hour, SWTOR maybe 30 mins, while Aion I waited 10-12hrs to play the game. This is something that is to be expected unfortunately. We just have to be patient. I was out all yesterday, but I took the time to work on other things during that time period.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Amyr Mythweaver - 08-26-2013

I agree with what Alothia because I have participated in more MMO launches than I care to admit to and since the genre has gone mainstream the early weeks of release are always the same of a new highly anticipated release.

There is at first a huge surge in numbers everyone wants to be online 24/7 levelling experiencing the new game and not wanting to miss a thing, this causes server problems in various forms from log in queue's to server crashes and everything in between.  However in a very short period of time this huge demand quiet's down the server load return to an expected level and everything works out.

Now of course its highly frustrating to not be able to be playing on server X, Y or Z and we as consumers should want better than face these problems but fracturing and dispersing our role player's further will only give us a very small minority on that server that never really works out for rping in the longer term.  Players will then move their characters as soon as they are able to the more established RP realms where the "grass is greener" and the small RP community shrinks until its no longer viable.

Now assuming that to be the case here as well (server transfers rumoured to be coming in a few weeks) I can understand why the RPC is not willing to support another RP server choice at this time, it sucks for those not able to play on Balmung or Gilgamesh right at this moment and I can understand your frustration but I feel those stuck in that position need to consider the RPC's position in the matter and they are doing what they feel is right for the RP community as a whole.

On a side note I am not trying to play during the early access period so I am kind of neutral right now and staying positive that SE will resolve these problems quickly so its not an ongoing thorn in our sides.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Asyria - 08-26-2013

It really is regular MMORPG fare.
And this is just early access.

At this point,  the company behind the MMO would normally create additional servers to accommodate the unexpectedly high population,
If they don't, launch will be even worse.

Also, at this point the RP community normally clench their teeth and wait, trying to get in their chosen server and hoping non-RPers are the one to move.

Now allow me a bit of egotism here... I don't care if people leave for other servers. In fact I welcome it, Even though it splits the community, it will reduce the stress on my chosen servers a bit and every bit helps.

However, allow me now to be back to my normal self in saying to those who leave, be prepared to either have trouble RPing (due to significantly smaller RPer pop), or to transfer as soon as possible, or both.

People are impatient to play right now, (I know I am!) but as Kylin said, we better think of long-term. It's why we formed this community, after all.

I think the concern is, of making more servers is that later X server(s) will be ghost towns and most likely merged. SWTOR had a horrible issue with this (too many servers) because people demanded them to. In the end it forced server merges and people who signed up on the first day of launch lost their names when the servers were merged. When they did a second merge they did it appropriately for those who had the name first got to keep the name rather than whoever moved from a server had to change the name. I think this may be why SE is hesitant of making new servers. However I -would- like to see them implement a 15-30 min afk kick. Anyway about it SE is damned if they do, damned if they don't. :<

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Korin - 08-26-2013

An AFK kick timer would be nice. There are people who have been idling in the same spot since I logged on this morning, and they're still there now.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - ArryDresdyn - 08-26-2013

(08-26-2013, 11:39 AM)Vinrael Wrote: An AFK kick timer would be nice. There are people who have been idling in the same spot since I logged on this morning, and they're still there now.
+1

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - synaesthetic - 08-26-2013

Ya'll think this is bad? This is nothing compared to the WoW launch, where the servers went down for three days to fix a mail bug. The first four months of play were a nightmare of bugs, unexpected server downtime, heavy queues and the complete inability to either stay logged in or have a lag-free play experience.

This? This is minor. This is barely even a blip in comparison.

Granted, RIFT, TERA and several other games had relatively pain-free launches, but do you know why? Because they didn't have over a million players jamming up the servers on the first day. MMOs are one of the most incredibly complex and absurdly fragile conglomerations of IT infrastructure, so ya'll really should have expected this. Honestly, I expected much worse.

In 2013, nobody releases software in a "complete" state anymore. They think just because we've all got high-speed internet connections that it's totally okay to release an Obvious Beta on release... then patch it later.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - AkhutaiAngura - 08-26-2013

(08-26-2013, 01:16 PM)synaesthetic Wrote: Ya'll think this is bad? This is nothing compared to the WoW launch, where the servers went down for three days to fix a mail bug. The first four months of play were a nightmare of bugs, unexpected server downtime, heavy queues and the complete inability to either stay logged in or have a lag-free play experience.

This? This is minor. This is barely even a blip in comparison.

Granted, RIFT, TERA and several other games had relatively pain-free launches, but do you know why? Because they didn't have over a million players jamming up the servers on the first day. MMOs are one of the most incredibly complex and absurdly fragile conglomerations of IT infrastructure, so ya'll really should have expected this. Honestly, I expected much worse.

In 2013, nobody releases software in a "complete" state anymore. They think just because we've all got high-speed internet connections that it's totally okay to release an Obvious Beta on release... then patch it later.

This might be the first time I actually agree with Synaesthetic. But, she's right - Though, I'd attest to WoW being nearly unplayable for the first 6 months or so due to various bugs, downtime, etc.

I mean, seriously. Blizzard had their servers down so friggin' much, that they saw fit to give players a free month of gameplay to make up for it.

This isn't the best launch I've seen, but it's a far cry from 'bad'. It's normal. Buckle down, knuckle under, whatever phrase you want to use that equates to something along the lines of "I'll get what I want". I logged into Balmung this morning, with a 20 person queue. I got into a DF group as a DPS within 20 minutes. That's -amazing-. A comparable example to the DF, would be queueing as a DPS in WoW's LFG system. I've sat there for an hour as an Enhance shaman.

If you all think it's so bad now, then consider this.. It can only get better.

RE: Balmung/Gilgamesh Overpopulated - Asyria - 08-26-2013

Wow launch was a decade ago, and they had no previous mmorpg experience, it's simply not fair to compare WoW's launch to any mmo's launch nowadays.

True, if they create more servers and they end up empty later they'll be forced to merge some of them but it's still what they should do. They have the demand, they need to work on supplying or else they'll lose customers. They may lose customers later... but it's bets if they only lose them later because until then those customers will have sent some money their way, which they can use to improve the game. And with names+surnames, I'm not too worried about a name already being taken... unless it's really not original (like any name taken from a popular fantasy/sci-fi source).

AFK kick timer would be cool... IF they do it right. SWTOR was awful because it didn't count typing as activity, meaning if you RPed and didn't move around at all, you'd end up going "inactive".