Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! (/showthread.php?tid=9595)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

For reference Aaron H2H fights like Yushin Okami
[youtube]lyDfw0JybOU[/youtube]

Not as good as him though! But i flow it in with my knowldege from my own MMA practice & knowledge of sword & dagger combat

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Warren Castille - 01-08-2015

At the Grindstone, Warren's probably a cross between Greco-roman grapple control and Sambo-style takedowns. He's honing how to survive without sword shield or armor when he's there, so his focus is on dispatching, not necessarily harming.

With a weapon and armor, he doesn't really lend to a form or stance I guess. His priorities are always going to be disarm or incapacitate before killing, which is funny given the size of his weapon. It's likely very medieval-knightish; Heavy armor to absorb blows, heavy shield to deflect them and heavy sword to end things quickly. He's not really looking for flash, just substance. Strike decisively and true, that sort of nonsense.

Grindstone's more fun.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Melkire - 01-08-2015

Most inspirations and references for Osric are drawn from sources so far removed from the real thing that it would be more appropriate to call it third-hand information rather than second-hand (read: I draw on historical fiction, sword-and-sandal fantasy, and countless historical accounts and practical video sources).

The character's philosophy when it comes to close quarters combat is more or less informed and influenced quite heavily by Krav Maga: put the other guy down as fast and as soon as possible, even if it means resorting to inflicting serious injury or fatal wounds, then haul ass to get the hell out of there. Holds even more true for a character who engages you at distances of arm's reach or less: he has to close the distance, and then keep it closed, else he's screwed.

The closest I've ever come was two month's worth of Wushu, but that's exhibition sport and as far from practical martial arts as modern fencing is from practical, historical swordsmanship. That said, if I ever find myself near a HEMA academy for an extended period of time, I'll be attending classes for rapier.

Translation: idk wtf I'm doing, send help.

(01-08-2015, 04:16 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:13 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:41 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:37 PM)Nako Wrote: I remember reading somewhere that icepick grip was a stance for either masters or amateurs :p
It is.

People assume only amateur use it but in reality as someone who's learned from my uncle reverse grip has certain advantages over standard (knife wise of course)

With swords it's utterly stupid to use.

Aaron would laugh his ass off at someone fighting with a longsword using the reverse grip.

Alternatively a blade grip, is pretty useful for anyone fighting with a European style great sword. The first 1/3 or so of the blade is likely dull, so you can grab it, and increase your power for close quarters fighting.
I didn't know that actually.  . Neat!

I've showed this before, the sword fighting starts around the halfway mark. If your opponent is in armor, and/or a shield, swinging isn't going to do anything but tire you out. However if you shorten your grip, your ineffective slashing thing is now a shield, staff, stabby spike, leverage, and everything in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
Now I got something to look into lol this is actually pretty cool.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Verad - 01-08-2015

At the Grindstone: Minimum realism, maximum farce. I would much rather pull from comedic interpretations of combat rather than realism. Verad's ability to harm anything other than his opponent with a bow and arrow is well-known at this point, and even when he uses knives, with which he is actually skilled, he still looks like an idiot thanks to presentation and appearance. 

Outside the Grindstone: Eh. I'll let people describe a style for me on their own time, based on their own perceptions, and nod and tap my nose as if they've discovered a secret.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Telluride - 01-08-2015

I take a lot of inspiration from a fantasy series that not everyone's had the chance to read - the Gord The Rogue novels by Gary Gygax.

The character of Gellor was my inspiration for the concept of a warrior-bard: a musician and swordsman of gregarious nature but serious, purpose-driven mind. There are several scenes that demonstrate how bards use music for combat inspiration, D&D Style (it IS Gygax...); for example, one of my favorite scenes with the character involves him in combat with demons, using his Frost brand, and shouting a battle chant to time and attune his strikes and parries to the rhythms, in a very Western fashion.

For Marauder, the character of Chert makes a great inspiration; the stories describe his axework, and his magic weapon, Brool, was empowered to "strike true" upon the shouting of its name. Thus, most of Chert's fights are loud, boisterous, butchering affairs, very much like FFXIV's Curious Gorge.

The protagonist, Gord, remains to me a powerful example of how to do a "Ninja" without using a single Asian influence or trope to do it. Gord was an incredibly gifted Thief-Acrobat, trained in sword/dagger duel wielding, who incorporated his acrobatics into his combat in a way that a lot of kids of the time would not see until Anime put ninjas everywhere.

Now, my good bard Nathan is not like any of them. I have avoided making him too much like some fictional god-archer like Legolas or Robin Hood. I have drawn from two examples for him, though: Odysseus from THE ODYSSEY and Subotai from the CONAN THE BARBARIAN film. The idea is that, as an archer, Nathan relies more on the natural strength of his bulk to pull a very powerful bow and do as much damage as possible with a single strike, rather than the stick-and-move archery of more flamboyant heroes; his style is very practical and direct, with little showmanship, comparable to Subotai. This is in fact a contrast to Nathan's performance and social personality - he takes the idea of using arrows to kill things with a calm seriousness not found in other aspects of his character...

...including his hand fighting. Nathan is also quite a decent brawler, and I discount all the "chakra" business in playing his Monk abilities. Nate learned unarmed fighting with and from his long-deceased troupe, and so his moves rely on a lot of grappling and haymakers, putting a lot of gusto into each one. He's not the sort to go the distance, but prefers to incapacitate or clobber senseless an opponent as soon as possible. This means that small, quick and skilled opponents could wear him down quite handily if they fought with those tactics in mind, but they should expect no mercy if he gets his hands on them. My best vision of him in unarmed combat would be something between Indiana Jones and Fezzik from THE PRINCESS BRIDE - a bravado-laced performance that might seem laughable to ninjas and monks, until they get their noses cracked or end up in a hammerlock from failing to take him seriously.

In short, I don't like Eastern influences for Nathan.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Coatleque - 01-08-2015

You people and your weapons. I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques. I am disappoint.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Zyrusticae - 01-08-2015

I will shamelessly admit most of what I think of for my character's fighting style comes from video games and anime and the occasional live-action martial arts movie.

That being said, I love the Wushu fighting style and pretty much model her spear fighting in that particular mold. Visual example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaUrqvOTpw

Even the in-game spear fighting has some elements of this with the Impulse Drive attack chain (Chaos Thrust is the best!).

T'rahnu practices most extant fighting styles to some degree, however, so I can point at pretty much anything (that isn't wildly obscure) and say she knows at least a bit of it. As for what she uses in actual combat, it depends. For competitions she'd much rather please the crowd with whatever's flashiest and most impressive at a glance, which means lots of wasted movement and choreographed attacks. In those instances, "winning" is all about getting the biggest crowd impression, not about subduing the opponent.

Even when fighting for survival, however, she has a rather bad habit of egging her opponents on by keeping them from getting anywhere near her and not going for a finishing blow even when the opponent presents an opportunity for her. When she has her spear in hand, trying to get in close enough to nullify her reach advantage can be an exercise in frustration (and may be futile since she's willing to drop it and pull out a dagger or two when the situation calls for it and is skilled in hand-to-hand combat regardless).

Speaking of hand-to-hand, I did say she practices most everything to some degree, but when it comes to what she actually uses in mortal combat? Kali is doubtlessly a pretty big influence there. She'll gun immediately for a disarm or, if that's not necessary, a quick takedown grapple that uses the entire weight of her body followed by a sleeper choke. She also has no qualms about targeting joints, so if someone gives her reason to, she'll snap at elbows and knees without hesitation. Really piss her off and she'll gladly resort to the absolute dirtiest tactics in the book: kneeing people in the crotch, stepping on ankles, poking out eyes, etc., though this rarely happens in actuality since you'd have to do something really personal to her to cross that threshold.

I should note that I don't do RP combat outside of stuff where the outcome has been predetermined. T'rahnu is just too bloody overpowered for anything involving another player. That being said, the most effective route to defeating her is probably to take her by surprise at the very beginning of a fight. The fact that she's willing to run, retreat, and resort to dirty tactics as soon as she recognizes she's on the losing side makes her very difficult to pin down.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Melkire - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:25 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:16 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:13 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 03:41 PM)Aaron Wrote: It is.

People assume only amateur use it but in reality as someone who's learned from my uncle reverse grip has certain advantages over standard (knife wise of course)

With swords it's utterly stupid to use.

Aaron would laugh his ass off at someone fighting with a longsword using the reverse grip.

Alternatively a blade grip, is pretty useful for anyone fighting with a European style great sword. The first 1/3 or so of the blade is likely dull, so you can grab it, and increase your power for close quarters fighting.
I didn't know that actually.  . Neat!

I've showed this before, the sword fighting starts around the halfway mark. If your opponent is in armor, and/or a shield, swinging isn't going to do anything but tire you out. However if you shorten your grip, your ineffective slashing thing is now a shield, staff, stabby spike, leverage, and everything in between.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
Now I got something to look into lol this is actually pretty cool.

See image below for reference. The blade is actually wrapped just above the main guard so that you can grip it there.

[Image: 07-88WGS.png]

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Telluride - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:32 PM)Coatleque Wrote: You people and your weapons. I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques. I am disappoint.

But then you offered us no flirting techniques, my dear Ser Crofte, so it is US that are disappoint.

The dreaded Skyrim steel greatsword

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:42 PM)Aaron Wrote: The dreaded Skyrim steel greatsword

Normal steel is for poors. Skyforge steel or get out.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:41 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:32 PM)Coatleque Wrote: You people and your weapons.  I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques.  I am disappoint.

But then you offered us no flirting techniques, my dear Ser Crofte, so it is US that are disappoint.

Chachan has no flirting techniques. He does not know how to girl. Sad

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:32 PM)Coatleque Wrote: You people and your weapons.  I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques.  I am disappoint.

Step 1: Be a lalafell
Step 2: Wait for cuddles

(01-08-2015, 04:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

To bring this back to topic, flirting and fighting are NOT mutually exclusive.

Wait... did I just finally concoct a reason for Nathan to learn GLD or NIN? *ponders* Because RPing this scene out, or a version of it, would be.. awesome.