Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. (/showthread.php?tid=11348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Wymsical - 04-28-2015

I still haven't come to terms with Silent Hills cancellation. PT was incredible and the biggest hope I had for that franchise in years. 2, 3 and 4 have been such inspirations to me and it's hard to believe how hard they've run Silent Hill into the ground. I still haven't forgiven them for the ending of Shattered Memories. At this point, I'm finally starting to accept that franchise is dead even though there's so much more that could be done with it. What a shame.

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - cuideag - 04-28-2015

MGS I could care less about, but Silent Hills? Not too happy about that, no.

It's sad, really. :/

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Edgar - 04-28-2015

I think the closest I got to Konami was the Konami code, but even that is legendary in its own right, representing a time when video games were fucking murderous and cheat codes existed, but were only for those who lacked the balls to get the highest score without them.

Now the fact that Edgar looks like Hideo Kojima as a catboy is kind of tragic.

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Caspar - 04-28-2015

X_x why couldn't it have been capcom? Granted, I know the answer to that. I wish they had taken better care of their ip, like suikoden and castlevania, which heavily influenced me

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - OttoVann - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 05:28 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 05:19 PM)OttoVann Wrote: What's wrong with battlefield or COD again?  If someone replies to me with "nothing" then I fail to see the problem of them doing well.  Tastes in gaming have changed, and what we enjoyed as young people are not what young people today enjoy.  I'm not sure if I see the issue, the market can't adhere to people our age (25+) forever since young people are where most game revenue is to be had.
Factually untrue. In the 2014 Usage Date and Demographics made by the ESA, the average age of gamers is 31, with women over 18 making up over twice the gaming population of boys under 18. Most game revenue comes from adults, the majority over thirty. Source

There is nothing inherently wrong with Battlefield and CoD, the recent trend has just shown a decrease in quality for their respective franchises. We're reaching a level of saturation for the 'modern shooter' that hasn't been seen since the saturation the same genre had in the 'WW2' theater.

Yes, those people are buying games for their kids. This isn't a surprise to anyone. Their kids tastes have changed compared to ours at their age.

I'm deeply skeptical of the claim that COD or Battlefield have gone down in quality when, at least when I played Battlefield4 (my most recent forray into modern FPS on a PC) I was blown away at all the quality: visuals, audio, destructible environments, and on and on.

What specifically is bad about BF5 compared to BF4?

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Mercer - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 06:21 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 05:28 PM)Oswin Wrote:
(04-28-2015, 05:19 PM)OttoVann Wrote: What's wrong with battlefield or COD again?  If someone replies to me with "nothing" then I fail to see the problem of them doing well.  Tastes in gaming have changed, and what we enjoyed as young people are not what young people today enjoy.  I'm not sure if I see the issue, the market can't adhere to people our age (25+) forever since young people are where most game revenue is to be had.
Factually untrue. In the 2014 Usage Date and Demographics made by the ESA, the average age of gamers is 31, with women over 18 making up over twice the gaming population of boys under 18. Most game revenue comes from adults, the majority over thirty. Source

There is nothing inherently wrong with Battlefield and CoD, the recent trend has just shown a decrease in quality for their respective franchises. We're reaching a level of saturation for the 'modern shooter' that hasn't been seen since the saturation the same genre had in the 'WW2' theater.

Yes, those people are buying games for their kids.  This isn't a surprise to anyone.  Their kids tastes have changed compared to ours at their age.

I'm deeply skeptical of the claim that COD or Battlefield have gone down in quality when, at least when I played Battlefield4 (my most recent forray into modern FPS on a PC) I was blown away at all the quality: visuals, audio, destructible environments, and on and on.

What specifically is bad about BF5 compared to BF4?
Please also note the space I mentioned that the majority of gamers are over 18, with minors as a small minority over all.

The critical and public reception of the battlefield series have been on a decline over the last ten years, Battlefield 2 (2005) being the most well received with a 91 average score. Battlefield 3 (2011) had it's score drop to an average 89, not a steep drop. Battlefield 4 (2013) dropped to a 79 average. The most recent, Battlefield Hardline (2015) has continued to fall to a 71 average score. Source - Metacritic PC scores.

I'm not a big CoD or Battlefield player, but going by the data available the people that buy the majority of these games are adults and there has also been a decline of quality for these games in the last ten years.

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Edgar - 04-28-2015

Do not derail the thread, please.

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Kellach Woods - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 08:11 AM)Dogberry Wrote: How's the view from that high chocobo of yours?
Pretty good because I don't overreact to a corporate entity reshuffling shit after what seems to be a completely unfriendly employee departure. Nor do I cry doom after making a financial decision that makes complete sense seeing as they're a foreign entity in those markets (as opposed to when THQ did it due to being unable to fulfill the obligations of the NYSE) and thus barely even traded at all.

I also do not assume that all of its properties are actually valuable, nor do I wish this supposed "death" happened to another company.

Maybe he'll do something good outside of Konami's clutches that kept him on MG always, but I won't hold my breath.

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - FreelanceWizard - 04-28-2015

Last warning, people. Stay on topic and don't take shots at each other. I'd really hate to have to lock this thread, since a lot of good points about industry pressures and Konami's history of games are being made.

*points below* Please use the thread Warren linked for further discussion on the gaming industry generally, if you don't mind. Smile

#magicAdminHat

RE: Rest In Peace: Konami Edition. - Warren Castille - 04-28-2015

Keep it down you hooligans.