Hydaelyn Role-Players
Let's talk about organizing a tertiary RP server - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about organizing a tertiary RP server (/showthread.php?tid=13326)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Let's talk about organizing a tertiary RP server - Cassandra - 09-09-2015

As a recent transfer myself, I echo the overall sentiment of Nero’s post. What garnered my initial interest with the game was my friend selling Balmung’s activity. If I were going to become a part of the roleplaying community in a MMO, I wanted it to be where roleplay is fairly ubiquitous. Being advised to a tertiary alternative wouldn’t be near as appealing since its smaller size makes establishing RP partners that much more difficult. I also feel it may have the unfortunate – and likely unintentional – effect of making Balmung seem like a clique. While having to pay $18USD isn’t ideal (especially because the Canadian dollar is trash /grumble), the decision ultimately lies in whether you feel the value outweighs the cost. I viewed the potential to RP on the server most dedicated for it as a worthwhile enough investment. Those who feel the same will eventually transfer over, otherwise they are likely quite happy wherever they are.

Going over and declaring a new server as RP world #3 won’t make it happen. Rather, as has already been said, we’re better off making an inviting venue where any RPer can come and make connections, which is what RPC does. Put another way, fuel the fires that already exist on those serves in lieu of starting an inferno.

What should happen is Square either decide on an official server for Roleplayers, or allow for an even larger population. That said, I find it hard they’ll see the enticement when the current divide makes them money.

(09-09-2015, 12:13 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Sometimes just offering to help is helping. There's not really a specific thread that tackles this specific issue. The closest we get is the thread I linked. Perhaps if there was a thread or a guide that better called attention to the fact that there are folks from rising RP communities who would like to become more involved. 

On one hand there's the mindset that getting involved is rude and controlling. 

On the other hand, it also makes the RPC feel very 'hands off'. Have fun shouldering the responsibility all by yourself/selves. 

I wonder if we could meet in the middle?

Like I said above, I think the most we can truly offer as a middle ground would be what the RPC already accomplishes: a forum of like-minded individuals. It's up to those people to determine whether they want to find RP elsewhere or pay to transfer into Balmung. Even if a tertiary option were created. I suspect a similar problem would linger as most people want to be apart of the "popular crowd."

RE: Let's talk about organizing a tertiary RP server - Ignacius - 09-09-2015

Again, and I'm not trying to shoot anyone down here, but I generally assume most people make their characters and are playing for at least a short while before trying to find an organized RP community.  I mean, I don't want to put an arrow in the heart of the RPC here, but I imagine most people have a server already by the time they find this place.

They're either willing to reroll or server transfer, or they're usually already invested in the server they're on.  At least that's been my impression; most of the new player posts aren't players without a character yet.

So this may all be academic.  If people really want to pay to transfer anywhere or reroll somewhere, I honestly doubt it will be a flood to a tertiary server.  Either people will transfer to Balmung or Gilgamesh, they'll sit on an off-hour day and slide in, or they're not going anywhere anyway.  This ONLY works if there are a lot of new players coming here to the RPC specifically before they put a few weeks or months on their characters on another server.

RE: Let's talk about organizing a tertiary RP server - Desitjant - 09-10-2015

I can't see any concrete steps one could take aside before (attempting) to get a sense of the number of RPers on the 5 worlds listed. If it turns out that any of them had a significant margin over the others, migration to that world would probably have the best results one could hope for.