Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Wallflowers" and RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Wallflowers" and RP (/showthread.php?tid=13391)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: "Wallflowers" and RP - Saravahn - 09-15-2015

(09-15-2015, 07:12 PM)Eddard Wrote:
(09-14-2015, 06:52 PM)Etienne Wrote: I don't understand the need to eliminate wallflowers.

Different people have different preferences on how to approach this hobby. Some people like to go out and be the Driver while others like to be the Introvert and just observe until something pulls their character in. It becomes dangerous should the Introvert ratio become too overpowering though I don't think that's an enormous problem for this community. It's just a personal obstacle players are facing where they don't want to be a wallflower but lack of this skill or that confidence halts that. Being a wallflower isn't a problem until you see it as one and decide you no longer want to have that tendency. Albeit hard, this is a place to give advice on overcoming that.

Emphasis mine.

With those words in mind, why does it seem, to me, that the ones "opposed" to wallflowers come off as making it seem like a scourge on the community. Even in your post that I just quoted you mention it becoming "dangerous" should the ratio become "overpowering".

I'm not usually one to ask this, but where's the proof? When, exactly, does the ratio become too lopsided and cause the community to fall into the "danger zone"?

I had to go back and re-read the OP just to be sure that I personally didn't miss anything... or misinterpreted something... or what have you...

With utterances such as "dreaded wallerflower" and "eliminate wallflowering"... it comes off as saying "WALLFLOWERS ARE A SCOURGE THAT MUST BE PURGED!"

Why? Are those people standing around the rail somehow disrupting your RP/immersion? Is their presence breaking your story that you're so desperate to tell in a public setting? Are those wallflowers really the downfall of the RP community?

Hell... I'd have to admit that a large majority of the time I head to the Quicksand ICly is explicitly to be a wallflower... to watch what other people are up to. I really hope my standing there and reading other posts isn't the coming of the apocalypse!

If you feel the need to make those wallflowers do something other than stand around... approach and RP with them. Otherwise.... what harm are they doing?

RE: "Wallflowers" and RP - Rufus Wightman - 09-21-2015

I would just like to take this opportunity to celebrate how I'm not the only one who has a great amount of difficulty in engaging randoms in random RP. Most of the time, the "walk-ups welcome" can be disturbingly hard to get a reaction out of. If it isn't AFKing, it's blanket ignoring. And if it isn't blanket ignoring, it's too edgy for public.

I'd mostly filed it down to an assumption that I'd get approached and have better response rates if I rolled a female toon. No evidence to back it up, of course. Just a base assumption I've made after hearing about the experiences other people have had while playing women characters. To be quite frank, I don't got time for that. I'd rather be male and lonely, as opposed to female and inundated with creepy tells.