Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPC Mentorship Program ( Archive ) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: RPC Mentorship Program ( Archive ) (/showthread.php?tid=2099)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Gospel Gestalt - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 03:56 PM)Alothia Wrote: Updated my first post with information about myself. I don't mind having more than 2 mentees, so I'm still open if anyone needs me. Everyone else should be updating their original threads with information about themselves as well, so be on the lookout!

Great suggestion! I've edited my original post to reflect this! Thumbsup

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Lenana - 06-06-2013

I could do with a mentor. Haven't ever had a lesson, so... Could do some good for me. Needing to work on my emote writing and a decent process for writing a character (if possible.)

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Ellie - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 04:28 PM)Leanna Wrote: I could do with a mentor. Haven't ever had a lesson, so... Could do some good for me. Needing to work on my emote writing and a decent process for writing a character (if possible.)

Really? You were a latecomer (if I remember right) but I thought you've established yourself pretty well. If you're having problems writing for your character I'd be happy to help.

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Yahdo - 06-06-2013

If anyone is for the most part new to RP itself, I would gladly mentor you. I love to teach new people how to RP, if anyone wishes to be mentored by me, by all means, just ask.

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Shuck - 06-06-2013

This is a good idea. Throw my name in the hat for mentoring. Hell, throw me in for a hand full of 'em. I will teach the goddamned class from now, until forever.

Bits and bobs:

Shuck is the name I'm going by on the forums, I'm 25, and have a history of employment in the interactive software development industry (nothing fancy, I was a debugger, which is like...a half-step above basic QA). I've been playing make-believe since about 13-ish, via tabletop and as time and technology improved, I just kind of carried the hobby with me. I tend toward realism/low-fantasy/whatever you might call the available technology in XIV. I'm on EST, and typically available on Skype (PM/Email me for that). Even when I'm not at home, the phone'll make noise when I get a message, and I'll get back to you ASAP.

My thoughts on roleplaying: I firmly believe that it's a hobby for anyone who wants to bother. There's a misconception floating about that roleplayers are inherently exclusionary, elitist, and generally a gaggle of repressed, developmentally arrested adult babies. While that's certainly true of some people who end up roleplaying, I've never believed it to be the norm. I'd like to provide a counter-example to that entirely too vocal minority.

What I might offer you, the prospective mentee (say that word out loud, it sounds weird): Not only the same kinds of lore-checks, character creation assistance, and general writing tips that other mentors might, but I will do this with the patience of a rock, and the obsessive tenacity of a wikipedia editor.

I am willing to work with you for as long as it takes to get your shit to where you want it to be.

As.

Long.

As.

It.

Takes.

So yeah, hit me up.

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Kassandra Dawn - 06-06-2013

I can totally be a mentor Big Grin if you need anymore that is
*Editing with information....oooooo*

IRL:
Lesse, I teach 3 year olds a day care (the older kids during summer), I'm 29 and reside in Virginia. I love to draw, paint and arts 'n crafts in general. I'm an avid reader (I'm currently reading 3 or 4 books). My work schedule is flexible M-F but I'm pretty much always available Sat. and Sun. Right now I work 6:30am EST to 4:30pm MWF and 6:30 to 2:30 on T and 6:30 to 3:30ish on Th (awesome isn't it??) SO i'm available to help out after 5 everyday somedays a little earlier.

RP Style: I'm pretty flexible RP wise. Sometimes I RP a lot, sometimes very little. My rp topics are pretty much random and I tend to go with the flow. I don't shy away from combat rp, though I don't have much practice with it.

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Eva - 06-06-2013

Also added a rather extensive blurb briefly detailing Eva as a character and the playstyle I strive for, and also outlining briefly what sort of RPers might most benefit from my advice.  I'm always happy to answer any questions though!

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Yssen - 06-06-2013

I gladly sign up as a mentor. I am all about making the people feel welcome.

Relevant RP data in this link.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1633

Relevant character data on the wiki!
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Yssen_Van

Also, feel free to ask me questions and things. Yar!

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Kerr - 06-06-2013

See, it's threads like these that make me love you people all the more. Heart Stop being so awesome guys (and girls), or I'll explode. 

Also... mentees reminds me of manatees...

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Deirdre - 06-06-2013

I have also updated my post with a bit about myself and some contact info~ Cactuar

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Kylin - 06-06-2013

This sounds fun~

I'd be willing to mentor one or more minions newbies.

About me:

I started RPing in MMO's nearly a decade ago (lolz). I started light RP in Everquest Online Adventures and then moved into heavy RP in Final Fantasy XI, where I resided for 5-6 years. I also led two successful RP shells during that time period, and as a result was privy to just about every type of OOC drama in RP existence. My RP itself evolved quite a bit over time, though I've always been the type to 'accidentally' create "epic" style stories that drag in surrounding players. This time, I'm placing an emphasis more on character interactions and personal growth moreso than epic stuff though.

When XIV was announced, I established this site (formally known under the name "Castiel") with help from my FFXI Sylph RPer buddies and it gained momentum after a very careful marketing strategy that included gradual recruitment of all the scattered FFXI RP groups first. As an admin here, I've seen just as much craziness as I did back in FFXI's RP political world. Some of the oldies may remember that I unfortunately had a public "meltdown" of sorts sometime in 2011 I think Blush . Regardless, it made me that much stronger in the end and it was a necessary personal journey for me.

In terms of my RP in XIV, I started out with the Order of the Stormguard. I heavily invested myself in this, so imagine my sadness when it disbanded and threw my character concept for a loop. I then transitioned to Outer Heaven after being approached by Seraphine, and that proved to be a fascinating endeavor. Unfortunately, it too wasn't meant to last due to internal problems. I did however have many fond memories here and am still very proud of the "epic" RP storyline I planned out within the shell and the super fun events that went with it. Once Outer Heaven dissolved (and the loss of several key characters/friends), I was further lost and my character seemed to be going nowhere. I attempted my own RP shell called Archavalon, but due to the game's condition and the shortage of RPers, I could only keep it afloat for about 6 months.

I thus kind of remained a "freelancer" of sorts (though I carried a Crystalline pearl, but at the time, the shell was not heavily used as a primary RP shell by others). I continued my epic storyline via public events that were quite successful, thanks to the support of the awesome community. This storyline helped me eventually "reboot" my character in an IC way. By killing off House Mavanix through an extensive and overly devious plotline, and by revealing a twist that my character and his father were actually Felstars, I was able to free myself from self-created shackles and kind of hit a reset button of sorts without impacting any past experiences. I'm quite proud of this accomplishment, since I managed to avoid any actual retcons.

I have three primary characters (and numerous "NPCs"). My primaries are: Kylin Felstar, Elza Ashfen (Kylin's sister), and Zarik Sylvora. You can read up on their wiki profiles for detailed information (or hit me up with a PM/tell, seeing as I looove talking about RP stuff). Elza will actually be played a bit more than Kylin at first, due to her personality being able to capture more RP opportunities with newbies and oldies alike. Zarik is a yet to be introduced character and will largely take a back seat at first to Kylin and Elza.

In terms of RP style, I consider myself "heavy." I don't talk too much about OOC stuff (unless it's RP related). My style is also focused on what's "realistic" (realistic within the bounds of a fantasy universe where magic and monsters exist that is) with an emphasis on freedom of creativity at the same time. I prefer to focus on RP over game related things (though I try to often find ways to incorporate game stuff into events, such as modifying an instance/boss fight to meet the needs of an event). My character is level 50 in only two jobs, despite my playing non-stop since 1.0's beta. As such, my knowledge in game mechanics may not be on par with some of the other oldies. However, I feel I make up for that with my extensive experience in RP related matters.

My biggest pet peeve: Vanishing characters/players. If I am to commit to someone as a player/character and commit to their story, I expect the same in return. That said, some people may find that the game isn't for them. Or may have real life matters that take priority and pull them from the game for a long period of time. All I ask is to be notified of this if you're involved with me in any form and be given the chance to create a RP explanation to one's absence in order to give some form of "closure" to my characters. I in turn would do the same in a similar situation.

My time zone is Eastern (US). My play time varies based on my work schedule, though you will rarely ever see me online post 11pm ET unless there's a major event or major RP happening.

I can't think of much else right now. I'll answer any questions though Smile . Looking forward to having some newbies under my wing to impart my wisdom onto Geek

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Gerik - 06-06-2013

(06-06-2013, 07:54 PM)Kylin Wrote: Hi my name is Kylin and I love Gerik.

Kylin was my mentor in 1.0!!!
Heart

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Kerr - 06-06-2013

::gathers Gerik, Kylin, and GG:: Miiiiine. HeartHeartHeart

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Aysun - 06-06-2013

Sure. Smile

I go by Aysun, as she is my main in some form in all settings I've been in since I started RPing. I've been RPing for around 9 years in some form online, but I am unfamiliar with "classic" RP settings such as D&D. Mine's all been text-based. I actively RP'd for 2 years in XIV, since launch. I played XI for years but never was interested in RPing there for some reason. As far as MMOs go.. that's it. Once I started XIV in open beta, I developed intense loyalty to the game and have not left once.. other than being forced to when it went down!

I've been in a variety of shells, from casual to hardcore, and definitely consider myself more on the heavy/hardcore side these days. I love to be in character, even when doing actual game activities if possible. I like a gritty, realistic-feel to my RP, while still remembering the magical fantasy lore we have to work with. I like to write, and am an active journal-keeper through Aysun when I can (which means I can't at the moment!).

I am a CST/CDT (whatever it is at the moment) player, and am most often on Skype when I get home from work at around 4pm. I am usually not online after 9pm during the week. Send a message my way if you'd like!

RE: RPC Mentorship Program - Mtoto Wamoto - 06-07-2013

Updated my initial post with an about me as well.