Hydaelyn Role-Players
Pretty characters in a harsh world. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Pretty characters in a harsh world. (/showthread.php?tid=2389)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Pretty characters in a harsh world. - Myal - 06-28-2013

(06-26-2013, 06:05 AM)Uther Wrote: You may choose to see Uther as an attractive dude with nice clothes and hair. I don't see him that way, and if I'm RPing, I will probably drop hints that he's supposed to be dirty and beaten.
(06-26-2013, 02:43 PM)Bea Wrote: But, I guess it should be said that the topic can go beyond what's done in the character creator and focus more on what you intend your character to actually look like. This way you're not shoehorned into talking about any kind of visual representation you didn't really want to be in.
Aa, if we are to more away from the visual representation, then yes, I do prefer my character to look a little worse for wear, considering her history and occupation.

Though, I don't think most RP-er would go out of their way to textually describe how pretty their characters are to begin with. (but I'm new at this; what do I know)

RE: Pretty characters in a harsh world. - Asyria - 06-28-2013

(06-28-2013, 08:33 PM)Myal Wrote: Though, I don't think most RP-er would go out of their way to textually describe how pretty their characters are to begin with. (but I'm new at this; what do I know)

Oh my, you'd be surprised... ^^;

I personally like for my character to be as close as possible to the one I went through so much trouble to get right in the creator, (and the whole what-you-see-is-what-you-get from miniature wargaming helps foster this) but at some point, imagination has to kick in.

It's like voices.
That is SO hard to describe and I have yet to play single mmo (with voices) where I feel the character's voice is right. Heck, even Neverwinter Nights 2 gave me trouble and they had like 2 dozen options.

RE: Pretty characters in a harsh world. - Orlog - 06-28-2013

(06-28-2013, 08:33 PM)Myal Wrote: Though, I don't think most RP-er would go out of their way to textually describe how pretty their characters are to begin with. (but I'm new at this; what do I know)

You'd be surprised, indeed. If this thread has shown me anything, it'd be that there are a number of people who prefer that their character look pretty, both in character model and general intention for the character, no matter the world. Which is, you know, all fine and dandy. But, still something that's pretty confusing to me.

RE: Pretty characters in a harsh world. - FreelanceWizard - 06-28-2013

(06-28-2013, 08:55 PM)Bea Wrote: You'd be surprised, indeed. If this thread has shown me anything, it'd be that there are a number of people who prefer that their character look pretty, both in character model and general intention for the character, no matter the world. Which is, you know, all fine and dandy. But, still something that's pretty confusing to me.

It's escapism, I'd argue; by making a perfect character in game, one can achieve a greatness not available in one's less-than-perfect real life. While I'm not making a value judgment here (by RPing in an MMO, we're all engaging in escapism Smile ), I will say that this behavior, taken to an extreme and with other aspects of "perfection" included, can become bad -- or at the very least self-limiting -- RP. I'd suggest that's why pretty characters provoke negative reactions sometimes, and why some players like to rough up their characters a great deal; no one wants to be accused of being "too pretty" and a dread, if ill defined, "Mary Sue."

Personally, I'm all about WYSIWYG for characters in MMOs. I've never been a big fan of detailing differences between my character's "true" appearance and their in-game one in an RP profile, for instance; I build the character as the game permits it, and that's how the character looks. About the only differences I'll include in the "appearance" section of a profile are bits of jewelry, small tattoos, or other less relevant and impossible to display details. I do this for two reasons. One, the devs make the character generator to make characters that they think fit the game world. Two, not everyone has the ability or desire to review RP profiles using a UI mod, wiki, or what have you, so restricting the details there to largely irrelevant ones increases the number of people with which I can RP.