Hydaelyn Role-Players
Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect (/showthread.php?tid=9247)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Hihimi - 02-13-2015

Hihimi has a huge problem with diets--fortunately she exercises enough that her sugary habits don't become an issue.

Her real problem is trying to see someone else's point of view if it's radically different from hers, so she chooses to just think of bad guys as bad guys with no redeeming qualities most of the time. It gets harder when more complications are thrown into the mix... "If he's stealing from the rich Limsa Lominsans to give to the starving orphans, is he -really- breaking the code...? Gah! This is making my head hurt! I need assistance over here! And by that I mean someone to help explain that rule in extreme nuance."

She also has a problem when people underestimate her for being a Lalafell, while at the same time she thinks it's incredibly rude to not find her adorable. "Ah, the wonders of racism." / "...wait, do you think I'm ugly then?!"

Then again, in that last example, there is a comfortable middle ground of "She's adorable but I fear her Power". I still think it'll cause complications in RP though. IC miscommunications, ahoy!

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Klynzahr - 02-18-2015

Kynzahr is an utterly hopeless gladiator. In fact she is so bad that she actually makes her living from being a looser.

Most of the big name gamblers in Ul'dah know full well that no novice spectator can resist betting on a towering, muscle laden sea wolf, particularly when she steps into the arena wielding an ax the size of her competitor. What the novices don't know is that Klynzahr is blind as a bat without her spectacles, plagued by nerves in the ring, and too timid to fight on the offensive. So when her sponsors arrange a fight between Klyn and some unknown but feisty lalafell, it is certain to land her in the healer's room and net them a tidy sum of winnings. It is such a sure thing that they continue to sponsor her simply to take advantage of her lack of skill. Basically she gets paid to loose.

The authorities have questioned this arrangement once or twice but after watching her train for several weeks it was concluded that Klyn was not loosing on purpose. She's just terrible.

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Aduu Avagnar - 02-18-2015

Nako and teleportation is.... interesting. He is used to how shaky it is by now, but people that aren't or are usually a little ill after it, usually throw up.

that and despite his efforts, he cannot master the higher tier spells of any of his disciplines.

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Kurt S. - 02-18-2015

Kurt and the arcanima....yeah that's not going to end well so he just tries to derive the equations, solutions, theories and laws and then try to apply it elsewhere. Which is the basis for his second job that will hit stores I don't know when. He's going to be all about them machines and guns and machineguns. He's got shit aether but he's still trying to do the complicated and taxing method of summoning a carby...an emerald carby.

(Speaking of, is there a primer I can read up about on Garlean Tech, specifically weapons tech. I kinda wanna see if I can't base it off there and go with the excuse of picking up Eng'g handbooks and operations manuals carried around by Garlean Eng'grs he has to kill or has killed. Because Garlean Tech > Eorzean Tech...I think.)
/sounsyysignal)

Ramona and weaving are two things that should not be put in the same room together...ever. She doesn't have the patience or the control to weave the thread and is just likely going to quad flare it to hell. Still she throws herself at weaving because deep down she wants to make clothes that'll make her look pretty. 

Keil and well fighting. He was born the weakest and cleverest of three brothers and has only ever scraped by using his spear and poking weakspots he's read about. In an actual fight, he's got a very microscopic chance of actually besting anyone. But that doesn't stop him from going back and trying to pick up some distinct fighting style that utilizes the lance if not poles, ala wu shu.

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Coatleque - 02-19-2015

Crofte cannot lead. The irony being that everyone expects her to. She has no backbone, rarely gets emotional in public, and has trouble raising her voice to anyone else.

She's stood in the middle of the street while an initiate lambasted her up and down and just shrugged it off.

People ask her for help but then always fight her on how she chooses to respond. It's always them convincing her to bend, never her persuading them.

One of her attempts to inspire the troops amounted to one of the longest unintentional innuendos of Ul'dah history.

In short, anyone who expects her to take charge and make crucial decisions is going to have a bad time.

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Kalooeh - 02-24-2015

Magic
Oh sure Kal can manage a little bit of it, but her healing is like basic weak shit that'd help with maybe some bruising, cuts, and minor burns.
Her thaumaturgey is a little stronger, but it's really more for practical use like starting a campfire or chilling a drink than attacking. She could likely take out some weaker things with her magic, but mostly it'd be a waste of energy on her part and she's really just rather prefer to punch the think or shoot it in the face.
She'd never get anywhere with arcane magic. She'd have absolutely no patience for it, the book, or the familiars and just end up saying "Fuck this shit, I'm punching it in the face"
For things like weaving or sewing in general, she could get by but she doesn't have the patience for it at all and can barely deal with something like patching up holes or seams in her clothes, and it wouldnt be anything pretty/fancy.

Then on the other end is Dheina and her being unable to do anything for physical attacks and she'd be far more likely to cry and run away... especially since she can't take a hit worth a damn and would end up crying or freaking out.
Closest she'll be able to get to anything for physical combat is maybe learning the rogue/ninja trade since that'd be more getting hits in with pointy things first more than relying on strength, but her punching anything would be like being punched by a 5 year old. Sure it could hurt a little, but really ain't a threat.
Even being a ninja her goals would be try to get it down as fast as possible or have someone else be a distraction, or panic and basically turn in to the equivalent of a panicked cat with knives. Attacks would be far less precise and more just wild slashing in hopes the thing would back off and she could run away or someone can get it off her.
She is horrible at keeping calm. Even if she's just healing, she will probably panic and overheal because would panic about someone else getting hurt, or if something comes after her she'd panic and would run away... in general. Not run away from the thing but towards the tank so they could save her. Just run away to anywhere but where the danger is.
Even if she doesn't get attacked at all she'll still likely end up crying over something or another and apologizing a lot for not healing enough, even if she was being overzealous with it in the first place.
She's great with healing and to a lesser degree offensive magic. But pbbbt her strength is pitiful and can't keep calm.
She wouldn't be able to lead anyone either. There's times she's bossy, but she has the nickname "Panic Cat" for a reason, and she would have absolutely no clue how to figure out what people need to do beside "Please go beat up that thing there and keep it away from me so I can hide back here and heal you".

Sam.... I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing with them yet, but biggest thing with them so far seems to be socializing. They're really not any good at it and socializing for them is so painfully awkward. Oh sure they try, and will sometimes hang out in places with a lot of people that are open to random interaction, but it's always a battle between actually trying to socialize and just saying screw it and running away to hide in their room and read instead, or go out and just pick up a job

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - Reshie - 02-25-2015

Eresh has a couple of them...

Black magic: She's great to have around if you need a campfire... or need one put out as she can't produce ice to save her soul. She tried for years to no avail even with the help of her best friend who could, and has, blown up many a block in various towns that will remain unnamed. Eresh... yeah, her skills are laughable. 

Metaphors and hints: You have to be very upfront with Eresh as she takes things literally. She won't read into anything and doesn't understand colorful references. (This is also a 'me' flaw. I don't see hints or understand metaphors so I can't play a character that does. I think I drive Nathan crazy sometimes because he has to explain a lot of what he says to me. Tongue )

Being social: She's not that great at it actually. She can talk to anyone about business, products and reclamation but get her in a situation where she has to be social about anything else and she tends to be rather quiet, observing and listening rather than piping up and directing the conversation.

RE: Practice Doesn't Make Perfect - E'jusana - 02-27-2015

Cooking edible dishes. She likes to try cooking different things and being experimental but they either end up burnt to a crisp or she uses foods that should never be put together. The noses of those around her almost always end scrunched up in disgust. The taste doesn't effect her regardless, if she makes it she'll eat it, others cannot say the same.