Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to: Cats? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: How to: Cats? (/showthread.php?tid=9386)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - TheBlob - 12-24-2014

(12-24-2014, 01:19 PM)Kage Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 01:17 PM)ShayRei Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 01:15 PM)Kage Wrote: *looks at phone*

Did.... he make it outside again?

Also, need better spray bottle >.>;

With an actual stream.

not a spritz.

Most bottles have both if you twist the little nozzle on it.
Haha it was a cheap bottle I bought at the Japanese super market that they only had one of. It doesn't have such an option. >.>;

Hah! Interesting, I've never actually seen that.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Kage - 12-24-2014

It's what I get for trying to rush buying one while still making it on time to get picked up for my aunt's birthday party (and still being late to it BECAUSE TRAFFIC)

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Shizuka - 12-24-2014

My personal experience with cats is that they go through "must get outside!" phases. We currently have one cat in a "must get outside!" phase, and one that just went out of said phase... thankfully it seems like it's mostly only one at a time with these guys. The only thing we really do is toss them away from the door, or nudge them away, or find a toy and toss it for them to chase... or just snatch them up really quick when they DO get out. Eventually they seem to lose interest in whatever it was they wanted outside and it becomes less of a problem for a couple of months.

The spray bottle idea is a good one, though like I think people already mentioned, keep in mind that not all cats actually care about being sprayed. You could also convince the cat he's starving by either making sure his food bowl is empty or taking up the food bowl about an hour or two before you need to leave. Then, right before you leave, become his savior and distract him with the food he so desperately needs because CAN'T YOU SEE HE'S WASTING AWAY?! I often leave my guys without food overnight, so they all swarm when I feed them in the morning and I can get out of the door unmolested.

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Kage - 12-24-2014

Arturius was hungry this morning.

I gave him food.

When I left he was still trying to get out so I sorta spritzed him a few times but he kept inching T_T

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - Shizuka - 12-24-2014

(12-24-2014, 01:27 PM)Kage Wrote: Arturius was hungry this morning.

I gave him food.

When I left he was still trying to get out so I sorta spritzed him a few times but he kept inching T_T
Do you feed him anywhere near the door you're leaving by? I wonder if you might have better luck feeding him completely across the house/apartment from the door you're using, and feeding him literally RIGHT before you're going to walk across the house/apartment to leave?

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-24-2014

I gave him food.

I lobbed him at the bed like a very furry hand grenade and then ran out the door.

Do things like those dog gate pens work on cats? >.> I don't think so...?

RE: How to stop a cat from darting out of a door when leaving/entering? - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-24-2014

(12-24-2014, 01:31 PM)Lalah Wrote:

I gave him food.

Do you feed him anywhere near the door you're leaving by? I wonder if you might have better luck feeding him completely across the house/apartment from the door you're using, and feeding him literally RIGHT before you're going to walk across the house/apartment to leave?

We feed him across the Apartment... but it's not a big apartment. We just have food in his bowl all the time because otherwise he won't shut up. He's really active though, so he burns it off fast.

I figure, a straight line from the food dishes to the door, it's about 8 feet.

His bowl was empty and I filled it this morning. I ran for the door and he was at my feet. I sprayed his cute face about 4 times as he kept trying to inch and then I also kicked the door for some noise before I slipped out.

I also hit the door with my humongous backpack while at it like a dork.

RE: How to: Cats? - Kage - 04-21-2015

I decided to repurpose this thread since I have another question about cats.

I have an "old" laundry wire hamper, similar to this
Except the wire that helps the hamper pop out is occasionally breaking out and so I want to retire this as it is several years old. The reason I ask is because, well, my cat has repurposed this, long ago when i was still using it (a couple months), into his own... "crate." He just jumps in happily.

SO, with the wire popping out I'm a little worried he's gonna get hurt.

I'm curious to know if there's a different, actually for cat, toy tubes.

Kitty is pretty big, I got him this kong Crinkle tunnel here but it's pretty thin and kitty doesn't go in.

I'm trying to find tunnels that are bigger but no luck.

.... should I just buy another laundry hamper ><

RE: How to: Cats? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-21-2015

(04-21-2015, 11:00 AM)Kage Wrote: I decided to repurpose this thread since I have another question about cats.

I have an "old" laundry wire hamper, similar to this
Except the wire that helps the hamper pop out is occasionally breaking out and so I want to retire this as it is several years old. The reason I ask is because, well, my cat has repurposed this, long ago when i was still using it (a couple months), into his own... "crate." He just jumps in happily.

SO, with the wire popping out I'm a little worried he's gonna get hurt.

I'm curious to know if there's a different, actually for cat, toy tubes.

Kitty is pretty big, I got him this kong Crinkle tunnel here but it's pretty thin and kitty doesn't go in.

I'm trying to find tunnels that are bigger but no luck.

.... should I just buy another laundry hamper ><

The hamper is likely only appealing because he knows he's not supposed to go in it. >also, cats seem to like laundry.

(04-21-2015, 12:44 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: The hamper is likely only appealing because he knows he's not supposed to go in it. >also, cats seem to like laundry.

I never forced him out of it when there were clothes and I haven't put clothes in it for months. @_@

RE: How to: Cats? - Warren Castille - 04-21-2015

Posting Whomp! because it's been covered.

[Image: 2014-01-01-Discomfort-Zone.jpg]

You could buy the little guy a dozen things he's "supposed" to sit/play in. He's gonna use whatever he wants, though. If he likes the wire hamper, consider just wrapping/tying up the exposed end so he can't poke himself with it and leaving it be.

RE: How to: Cats? - Mae - 04-21-2015

Patching with ducttape/gorilla tape will work... provided kitty doesn't like to chew on tape.

Cat tunnels tend to be smaller in general. This is for kids, so it might be bigger than you're looking for, but it might be something to consider.

He... tends to chew on * "non-furniture"?

My hair?

Sometimes the bristles at the end of the broom?

... and the string used to keep a laundry hamper closed XD

I'll buy some duct tape to see how that works, but I totally might consider the play tunnel if I had the space ><