Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! (/showthread.php?tid=9595)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:50 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:41 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:32 PM)Coatleque Wrote: You people and your weapons.  I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques.  I am disappoint.

But then you offered us no flirting techniques, my dear Ser Crofte, so it is US that are disappoint.

Chachan has no flirting techniques. He does not know how to girl. Sad

Step 1: Be a lalafell
Step 2: Wait for cuddles

Chachan's perpetually on Step 2, then. Laugh

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Warren Castille - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:45 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:41 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:32 PM)Coatleque Wrote: You people and your weapons.  I thought this thread was called "Flirting" techniques.  I am disappoint.

But then you offered us no flirting techniques, my dear Ser Crofte, so it is US that are disappoint.

Chachan has no flirting techniques. He does not know how to girl. Sad

I guess Warren's claim to not knowing how to girl is no longer valid, huh?

PUPIL. YOUR MASTER CANNOT TEACH YOU THESE SECRETS, FOR EVEN HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THEM. /brushes willowy kung-fu beard

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Coatleque - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:51 PM)Telluride Wrote: To bring this back to topic, flirting and fighting are NOT mutually exclusive.

If only Crofte could fight someone quite as ... vigorous.

Her fighting style is not derived from any one source. She aims low, dodges what she can, and tries to subdue rather than kill.

The worst injury I've ever caused in the corse of an RP battle was to hamstring an NPC to take him out of the fight. (Also, killing Voidsent doesn't count)

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - C'kayah Polaali - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:58 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:51 PM)Telluride Wrote: To bring this back to topic, flirting and fighting are NOT mutually exclusive.

If only Crofte could fight someone quite as ... vigorous.

Come at me, Coat...

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

Oddly enough, this is quite in line with the NPC character I also play using Chachan as the... "base model," I suppose would be the best term. I'm using the same character in game, but treating him as a completely different character.

Hohoyoho is a consummate showman, and loves to get reactions and rises out of his opponents. So there's a lot of flirting, showboating, and generally distracting moves and ploys. It's almost like stage-fighting, except adapted to be used in actual combat.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Izayoi - 01-08-2015

As my main does not fight at all really (she can hit you with a fishing pole perhaps but yeh..) it's my alt that I am working on how will be fighting wise. She is inactive atm due to waiting for her to be Au Ra. 

But her fighting style will very much be like this, not as good, but still, she will be fairly good at it Smile I love this fighting style so Smile

[youtube]JXOiqHOdLjs[/youtube]

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - C'kayah Polaali - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 03:32 PM)Gegenji Wrote: Reach was the first to come to mind, which isn't much as you've pointed out, but it does mean he has to exert a lot more energy in crossing distances and getting into that weapon "dead zone." Of course, if I put more thought into it, there's plenty of other things about him that could hinder his combat.

Honestly (and again, this comes from classical fencing, which is a training tool for fighting duels, though the principles do apply to things like military sabre, too), that energy expenditure shouldn't be too much. If you're out of distance with your opponent, then neither of you are in any danger, and you don't have to rush. Once your opponent enters into their distance, then they can (theoretically) hit you while you can't hit them. That's the only point where you'd want to close quickly, and that's a pretty small distance to close.

Classical fencing (and duel fighting, especially in Spain, Italy and France) were based around adherence to the "virtue" of disdain*: It's not enough to defeat your foe, you have to make it look like you didn't even have to try. Consequently, a lot of fencing masters (and these were people who used the techniques to fight duels - it was not yet a sport at that time) spent a lot of time working out the most efficient ways of doing things.

*I love that about the art, by the way. Other martial arts adhere to hard work, or honor, or other crap like that. We have disdain... Big Grin

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aya - 01-08-2015

Aya's is more thematic than realistic or practical Smile Its meant to play upon her one true talent of dancing, and her overall gifted athleticism and grace.  She does rely upon some very real principles of pole-arm fighting, especially range and leverage, to overcome some of the inherent disadvantages she has in terms of bulk, pure strength, and experience. 

No matter how talented a knife or short-sword wielding opponent may be, he would have to cover a lot of dangerous ground to get past an Aya-wielded pole-arm!

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Aaron - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 04:44 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 04:42 PM)Aaron Wrote: The dreaded Skyrim steel greatsword

Normal steel is for poors. Skyforge steel or get out.
I prefer dat glass weapons thank you very much! 

No grumpy old man is crafting mah weapons.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - GloryRhodes - 01-08-2015

Spahro does a lot of flailing, kicking, biting, scratching and screaming in the general direction of the throat.  I was mostly inspired by pissed off cats and Jerry Springer.

Alienne, who can actually fight, has an effective and simple style in five steps.

1: Get a really really heavy thing, like a six foot axe.
2: Swing it at someone you want to hit as hard as you can.
3: Check to see if they still have all their parts, and if they want to fight.
4: Repeat as necessary.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Coatleque - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 05:18 PM)Aya Wrote: Aya's is more thematic than realistic or practical Smile Its meant to play upon her one true talent of dancing, and her overall gifted athleticism and grace.  She does rely upon some very real principles of pole-arm fighting, especially range and leverage, to overcome some of the inherent disadvantages she has in terms of bulk, pure strength, and experience. 

No matter how talented a knife or short-sword wielding opponent may be, he would have to cover a lot of dangerous ground to get past an Aya-wielded pole-arm!

They may have the reach, but Aya has flexibility.

Damn it, I got the two threads confused again!

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Telluride - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 05:28 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 05:18 PM)Aya Wrote: Aya's is more thematic than realistic or practical Smile Its meant to play upon her one true talent of dancing, and her overall gifted athleticism and grace.  She does rely upon some very real principles of pole-arm fighting, especially range and leverage, to overcome some of the inherent disadvantages she has in terms of bulk, pure strength, and experience. 

They may have the reach, but Aya has flexibility.

Damn it, I got the two threads confused again!

Do I have to repeat myself from earlier? They're compatible.

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Dogberry - 01-08-2015

Dogberry's been curious about how well Aya can handle a polearm.

By which he means he wants to spar.

Like, with armor and weapons and stuff.

What?

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Sounsyy - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 05:30 PM)Dogberry Wrote:

What?

Oh baby oh baby

RE: Fighting Techniques -- Inspiration and referencing! - Telluride - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 05:37 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 05:30 PM)Dogberry Wrote:

What?

Oh baby oh baby

Sounssy is already hoping to add this scene to her photobomb collection, is she?