Hydaelyn Role-Players
Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden (/showthread.php?tid=10085)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - C'kayah Polaali - 02-13-2015

Realistically, the problem isn't "how do we get gil from one person to another". We're not talking about the millions of gil that's typical with RMT. Most art sales that I've seen are in the 10-100k range. That's likely under the radar of any RMT checking. And if it does get flagged, and both people can point to RPC and say "We know each other! I have lots of gil and they don't, so I was just helping them out...", there's nothing to distinguish it from any other random act of kindness.

The problem is now it's hard for artists to connect with their clients. Artists can't post "will art for gil". That's where SE's blow has landed.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Jethas Zykyri - 02-13-2015

The thing I loved about the gil option is people like me could actually afford to get commissions done.  With how things are in me and my hubby's life, we have only one income to pay bills and buy food.  We are in survival mode.  I cannot get commissions otherwise.

This just makes me very sad.  Its silly, and I look at it the same way someone else mentioned in this thread.  Art commissions for gil is much like buying a crafted item in game.  You provide anything needed to complete the task, give a tip and get your product.

Its a sad day.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Kage - 02-13-2015

Previous poster said it best:

Conditions of payment just be sorted through PMs.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - SessionZero - 02-13-2015

I would very discreetly point out to the people bemoaning their sudden loss of available avenues for commissions, it's very easy to peruse someone's art thread that is just there for display, then slip that artist a PM asking if they would consider taking a "small donation in gil" in exchange for some art.

Ahem. The RPC in no way endorses the breaking of FFXIV's ToS by any stretch of the definition.

>.>

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Warren Castille - 02-13-2015

Artists are free to say "Before we knew about the TOS ban, I would have charged 150k for this kind of art" and then write "any interested parties should PM to discuss payment."

This isn't the end of the world.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-13-2015

you know on another site that had an in game currency; i was running a donation thread trying to obtain a higher priced item that i had no hopes to afford. around the same time i had gotten my tablet, so the logical thing for me to do in order to get practice in and give thanks to my donors (ones that gave "sizable donations") was to do a quick drawing for them after i had gotten the donation. sometimes they gave me other items to sell or it was the currency outright and even though it was stated plainly on my thread; a lot were still surprised when a drawing from me would pop up in their inbox a few days (or a week) later.

it works because i wasn't expecting the donation and they weren't expecting the art (after getting said donation i would just have a habit of asking about their character's personality and what outfit they favored...you know, cause i'm curious. .---.)

not exactly trying to get around things or anything; it's just a shame even something like this could be flagged because to me that's kinda a "community kindness" killer. :/

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Telluride - 02-13-2015

(02-13-2015, 03:00 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: not exactly trying to get around things or anything; it's just a shame even something like this could be flagged because to me that's kinda a "community kindness" killer. :/

My thoughts go kind of like this:

"They came for the bots, and I wasn't a bot... but it didn't matter, because the bots are still here."

"They came to open up the server restrictions, and... well, no, they didn't, not in the slightest."

"They came for the Art-for-Gil set, and... WTF, THIS one they're going to enforce?"

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - K'nahli - 02-13-2015

(02-13-2015, 02:46 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Artists are free to say "Before we knew about the TOS ban, I would have charged 150k for this kind of art" and then write "any interested parties should PM to discuss payment."

This isn't the end of the world.

Hahahahahaha, I can see it now...

Quote:Hello everyone,

I've just heard the terrible, terrible news that I can no longer sell headshots of your IG characters for 100k(with a 20% discount on weekends) nor full-body drawings for 300k(additional +200k per extra character, up to 3 characters) without breaking the ToS! I'm deeply sorry to anyone whom may have been interested in purchasing my art. Especially since now the first three requests can no longer use the specially-prepared discount codes:

YFHEU-13183-HDYOP-22281-YHAGI...
NNKAL-64291-WWTUF-61930-UIWOP...
DUIAP-12810-HALKW-33129-WPMNL...

....to get 15% off of their total purchase cost!

This has, unfortunately, demotivated me quite a bit. I wonder if I can continue staying online from 17:00-21:00 (GMT+4) without becoming too depressed.

I feel lonely and vulnerable. If anyone would be interested in helping me through this difficult period by sending me some private messages to discuss the matter, then I'd very, deeply appreciate it ;

Edit:
(P.S  that's 11:00-18:00 on weekends!)

..... :(

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-13-2015

(02-13-2015, 03:04 PM)Telluride Wrote:
(02-13-2015, 03:00 PM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote: not exactly trying to get around things or anything; it's just a shame even something like this could be flagged because to me that's kinda a "community kindness" killer. :/

My thoughts go kind of like this:

"They came for the bots, and I wasn't a bot... but it didn't matter, because the bots are still here."

"They came to open up the server restrictions, and... well, no, they didn't, not in the slightest."

"They came for the Art-for-Gil set, and... WTF, THIS one they're going to enforce?"

exactly bots are still out there mining shards like crazy, it's near impossible for new people to get an account on our server (unless you know, you wanna stay up till 4am .__. ) and i STILL get at least four random tells for bot sellers >|

i posted that story about the donation thread because in the end; i had gotten so much from people, i was able to afford not only the item i had been chasing after (for months) but got another one that was high up on my wishlist. i was also able to pay it forward by donating extra i had and wasn't in need of to others and my friend list had easily gained 20 people because in case ANYONE has failed to see this; i chatter at people excessively and instead of running off giving me a crazy look, some people stuck around and made friends with me. so in a whole it made me feel more connected to the people there and made logging in that more enjoyable because there was always someone on fun to talk to while doing stuff in game. (also as seen; my art skills improved o3o)

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Edgar - 02-13-2015

I can see it now. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the era of...

ART PROHIBITION

Where instead of being able to freely exchange our artwork for gil, we must use PM speakeasys and take our artwork underground, using passwords to get in on the deals. Secret art auctions and all that. 

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Warren Castille - 02-13-2015

I, for one, welcome our noir-as-fuck futurepast.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Telluride - 02-13-2015

(02-13-2015, 03:57 PM)Edgar Wrote: I can see it now. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the era of...

ART PROHIBITION

Where instead of being able to freely exchange our artwork for gil, we must use PM speakeasys and take our artwork underground, using passwords and PMs to get in on the deals. Secret art auctions and all that. 

That means, we may also need Art Runners, courageous men and women who specially breed and train their chocobos to run at top speeds under cover of dark, on unlit backroads, evading the authorities to deliver the art pieces...

...and they would go on to found the New Alliance for Special Chocobo Amateur Racing, or NASCAR...

Or... I guess they might just use the Aetherytes.

[Fanfiction ruined]

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Inessa Hara - 02-13-2015

. . .  Please let N.A.S.C.A.R be cannon now, lol.

RE: Policy change: Sales of art for gil forbidden - Titor - 02-13-2015

How about we all stop talking about how to circumvent the rules?

The policy is silly, yes, but talking about how to break the rules or get around things or do things under the table is not making it better, it is making it worse.

This comes from someone who is very avid about buying art, and had enjoyed the gil option. But it is gone now, no need to be sneaky.

The spice must flow.