Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! (/showthread.php?tid=12018)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - Mercurias - 06-12-2015

(06-11-2015, 08:36 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: (I apologize in advance for my horrible, horrible phrasing. I'm in the middle of class and can't really flesh out my post without having the teacher glare at me.)

I was doing the Alchemy class quests and the fact that Arcanum/Arcamina uses ink as a conductor for aether made something snap in my mind.

See, theoretically, if you use high quality ink (a high conductor) and are able to accurately depict the symbols of the Arcanists to cast magic with books and scrolls.... What could possibly stop a person from trying the same thing on people? As in, in theory, shouldn't someone be able to use these symbols on their skin to cast magic as well? Since it's in the skin, what if you make it permanent or semi-permanent? Would this enhance a person's aetherial ability or harm it? Would they get aether-sickness? Would this be, perhaps, a more stable form of sorcery?

The full bit is:

Quote:Anonymous Arcanist: Eh? The nature of my grimoire? I...well, yes, of course.

Anonymous Arcanist: For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries. These geometries are inscribed upon the pages of a grimoire, such as the one you constructed at my request.

Anonymous Arcanist: The most important aspect of any grimoire is the quality of the ink used to illustrate its pages. Geometries drawn with ink that is especially conducive to the flow of aether allow the arcanist to more effectively channel his magical strength.

Anonymous Arcanist: Thus when one is in need of a new grimoire, one must turn to an expert in the making of this liquid gold─an alchemist. And, Thaliak be praised, I was blessed with the attentions of a true artist.

Anonymous Arcanist: Should I ever wish to add to or enhance my tome, I know exactly to whom I will turn. Thank you, Master Alchemist.

It could be argued that the visualization is important part rather than the grimoire itself, with the specialized ink making for a better reference material.

Also, I would politely suggest she paint the ink into or onto a person's skin like henna rather than tattooing, stating that the ink can cause aether sickness or severe allergic reactions or some kind of thing when sunken under the skin. That way the affects could be temporary.

If someone else has made this suggestion already, I'm sorry for having wasted your time. I glanced through and didn't see it, but I miss things sometimes.

RE: RP Idea: Is this too crazy? Feedback wanted! - LadyRochester - 06-12-2015

(06-12-2015, 06:47 PM)Mercurias Wrote:
(06-11-2015, 08:36 AM)LadyRochester Wrote: (I apologize in advance for my horrible, horrible phrasing. I'm in the middle of class and can't really flesh out my post without having the teacher glare at me.)

I was doing the Alchemy class quests and the fact that Arcanum/Arcamina uses ink as a conductor for aether made something snap in my mind.

See, theoretically, if you use high quality ink (a high conductor) and are able to accurately depict the symbols of the Arcanists to cast magic with books and scrolls.... What could possibly stop a person from trying the same thing on people? As in, in theory, shouldn't someone be able to use these symbols on their skin to cast magic as well? Since it's in the skin, what if you make it permanent or semi-permanent? Would this enhance a person's aetherial ability or harm it? Would they get aether-sickness? Would this be, perhaps, a more stable form of sorcery?

The full bit is:

Quote:Anonymous Arcanist: Eh? The nature of my grimoire? I...well, yes, of course.

Anonymous Arcanist: For an arcanist to weave his spells, he must conjure in his mind the image of distinct mystical diagrams known as arcane geometries. These geometries are inscribed upon the pages of a grimoire, such as the one you constructed at my request.

Anonymous Arcanist: The most important aspect of any grimoire is the quality of the ink used to illustrate its pages. Geometries drawn with ink that is especially conducive to the flow of aether allow the arcanist to more effectively channel his magical strength.

Anonymous Arcanist: Thus when one is in need of a new grimoire, one must turn to an expert in the making of this liquid gold─an alchemist. And, Thaliak be praised, I was blessed with the attentions of a true artist.

Anonymous Arcanist: Should I ever wish to add to or enhance my tome, I know exactly to whom I will turn. Thank you, Master Alchemist.

It could be argued that the visualization is important part rather than the grimoire itself, with the specialized ink making for a better reference material.

Also, I would politely suggest she paint the ink into or onto a person's skin like henna rather than tattooing, stating that the ink can cause aether sickness or severe allergic reactions or some kind of thing when sunken under the skin. That way the affects could be temporary.

If someone else has made this suggestion already, I'm sorry for having wasted your time. I glanced through and didn't see it, but I miss things sometimes.

I like the idea. Perhaps you could tattoo it with a weak ink that won't allow for aether poisoning, and then you can paint over the tattoo with a golden ink. Use the tattoo as the "base" and the ink as the enhancement.