Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do you do irl? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What do you do irl? (/showthread.php?tid=12080)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: What do you do irl? - Telluride - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 10:39 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I worked at McDonalds before I enlisted. I can't say I was too fond of it, mostly because they were actively keeping me from any upward mobility - keeping me in the Drive Thru taking orders and cleaning trays. Oh, and they got mad strict with what you said over said Drive Thru when the new management came in (the original manager - the guy I liked - walked out after an altercation with them). I actually got sent home early because I would say "What size would you like that?" instead of "Would you like that super-sized?".

Apparently not up-selling at every possible opportunity was a bad thing.

That attitude is everywhere.

In my wasteland period between the last teaching gig and the current job, I'd applied for an ISP support position for the cable company in the next county over. Having been familiar with how those companies work, I asked during the interview how much of it was going to be about sales, during which the interviewer insisted that it wasn't that sort of position.

Fast forward a bit to the training period: Six weeks. Four of those weeks were about the billing system, ordering system and the company's product line. Week five - one single week - was dedicated to learning/navigating/using the actual support/monitoring programs, and the last week was open-call training.

Just before week three, we were specifically told that our job performance would specifically be tied into our ability to upsell products. To people with technical problems. People who wanted the stuff they HAD to work better, and who were inevitably going to be upset when they called.

Yes, they outright lied in the interviews. So, I stayed on their paid training until it was time to hit the call floor, and left, citing their deception in the interview as my reason. They really couldn't say anything, and to this day I don't feel a single dollop of guilt about bailing.

True story, bros.

RE: What do you do irl? - Addison - 06-16-2015

I'm a veterinary technician.

I draw blood and urine samples. I run various labs. I look at poop and urine under a microscope. I restrain mean pets from biting or scratching people. I take X-rays. I do some grooming. I educate owners on proper pet care ("No, cheesesteaks and milk is not nutritious for your cat, sir").

And about a thousand other things.

RE: What do you do irl? - Aduu Avagnar - 06-16-2015

Aparently I'm going to be adding Bartending to my list of jobs XD

RE: What do you do irl? - Mae - 06-16-2015

At this -exact- moment, I am unemployed. By choice. When my husband got his CDL almost four years ago, I had the option of keeping my job while trying to get out of the bad living situation I was in (roommates from hell who were doing all they could to suck away all our money) or putting in my two-week notice, packing all our stuff into storage, and getting on the truck with him. I took the latter. 

So for three years, I lived in a Freightliner Cascadia and got to visit all 48 continental states. I joke about it being a three-year vacation, but even though I wasn't employed by the company, I learned how to do some of the work just to help my husband out. Route planning, fuel calculations, HoS management, a little bit of minor trailer and truck maintenance, load securement, and dealing with Dispatch and Road Assist. And defending the truck against lot lizards.

Prior to that, I was a cashier for a Home Depot. I mainly worked the garden center and returns desk. Before that, I did work for a janitorial service, work as a home care provider, was a dishwasher for a restaurant, a key-carrier ('not a manager but does manager work') for a couple gas stations, and worked at a Wendy's.

Now that I'm off the truck, though, I'm trying to re-enter the work force. Applications are starting to go out hopefully something will bite.

RE: What do you do irl? - GabrielDante - 06-16-2015

I'll drop my two cents and join the fun.
I'm an ERP Software engineer (Enterprise Resource Planning not the other ERP)

Spend all my life living in databases and figuring out how to move bits of data from one place to another.

RE: What do you do irl? - Martiallais - 06-16-2015

I do pretty much all the CS/portal maintenance/internet shenanigans for my company. We sell "decorative hardware" aka the bright/fancy/shiny handles/pulls/hinges people put in their homes.

RE: What do you do irl? - Naunet - 06-16-2015

I teach middle school and high school kids science - primarily earth science and environmental science. The school I work at is a really incredible private academy that champions a one-on-one learning and teaching method. So much better than classroom teaching. xD

The pay is crap though. And it's not my ideal job still, though it's enjoyable and fulfilling. :S I want to work in museum science collections. Or as a science advisor to game developers lolol.

RE: What do you do irl? - CallmeYahweh - 06-16-2015

(06-16-2015, 03:37 AM)Ronin Wrote: I've done about seven years of Muay Thai and six in BJJ (Brazilian jiu-jitsu). A bit of Okinawan karate thrown in there with some judo.

That's where it's at! I've never gotten super far into muay thai but god damn do I want to. I've seen a bit of okinawan karate, too. That's wicked.

RE: What do you do irl? - DarkLaiX - 06-16-2015

Currently a cashier at good old Wal-mart, where people get mad at you if something isn't priced the way they say it is. U-u;

RE: What do you do irl? - Mielikki - 07-30-2015

I work Here
Been here 5 years, will leave soon to move to another Country. And yes, it's been a pretty damn awesome experience ^.^

RE: What do you do irl? - Corelyn - 07-30-2015

I'm a programmer - technically a Quality Assurance Analyst - working with the continued creation, upkeep and all sorts of fun things for an application that tests a slew of different websites as they are produced and updated, which emulates user input at speeds no human could ever dream of managing, in every conceivable way to test every possible thing in the websites that would need tested.

It's pretty fun, usually. There's some drudgery to it, but more often than not, it's very engaging.

RE: What do you do irl? - Reiner Dorn - 07-30-2015

I am the Technical and operations manager at a Performing Arts Center. Have been doing this for a bout 5 years after leaving the US Navy It's quite a good job, and I love working in the arts as a playwright as well.

RE: What do you do irl? - -no longer matters- - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 09:40 AM)Mielikki Wrote: I work Here
Been here 5 years, will leave soon to move to another Country. And yes, it's been a pretty damn awesome experience ^.^
I worked at the Austin TX. Customer service location from 2007-2008 and I had the exact opposite experience. It was a nightmare. XD

RE: What do you do irl? - Mielikki - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 10:34 AM)War Siren Wrote: I worked at the Austin TX. Customer service location from 2007-2008 and I had the exact opposite experience. It was a nightmare. XD
Aww! Well I heard working in the US is generally a nightmare :p

RE: What do you do irl? - Sylastair - 07-30-2015

(07-30-2015, 10:18 AM)Reiner Dorn Wrote: I am the Technical and operations manager at a Performing Arts Center. Have been doing this for a bout 5 years after leaving the US Navy It's quite a good job, and I love working in the arts as a playwright as well.
Can confirm coolness of job, and intend to walk around theater area with a clipboard in a suit and fool people into thinking I belong in the near future.