Hydaelyn Role-Players
Information on Life Spans - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Information on Life Spans (/showthread.php?tid=5935)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Information on Life Spans - Jomoru - 01-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 07:42 PM)ansemaru Wrote: Jomoru, have you ever heard of Occam's Razor?

You seem to not understand it, so I will explain it is not used when dealing with competing theories but rather as a rule of thumb when formulating one. There are competing theories here, thus its not applicable.

At which point we look at the evidence and conclusions directly.

The first premise which we can all agree on is her 1.0 appearance does not fit with her ARR role

Now your assertion is that this is meant to demonstrate that she has aged in the last 5 years. This is based on Eye sight getting weaker as people age in the real world(and presumably hydaelyn as there's no evidence to contradict this).  That the developers had limited time and effort and thus didn't feel ti worth creating an Older female catgirl face because it would find limited use. This is a reasonable assumption.

My counter argument is that there are a significant number of other characters who wear glasses in the game. Especially among miqote females. This is generally used as a shorthand for intellectuals... though certain characters counter act this.

My second point is few characters have shown much aging in the last 5 years. The only character who may show it would be Cid, and even then his beard might be a point for his particular background.

Secondly F'lhaminn beauty is repeatedly extolled while the player is searching for her, generally in real life people find more youthful appearances pleasing, though she could easily have aged gracefully.

Thus my point that the evidence for her aging is insubstantial enough to call it into question AND that one shouldn't try and use it as evidence for a theory about Miqote life spans being shorter than Hyur.

RE: Information on Life Spans - ansemaru - 01-02-2014

You just said yourself that she could have aged gracefully. This fits with the theory that the developers didn't have the time/resources/motivation to make aged facial presets for non-unique characters (Cid being a unique character model, as opposed to one created with the same presets as player characters- like F'lhaminn)- it's a convenient excuse for them to use the relatively youthful facial features that the engine permits, give her some secondary characteristics that are associated with age, and call it a day.

I'm not entirely sure why you're so obsessed with all of these secondary (and less likely) possibilities surrounding the aging process. I never even said that Miqo'te live substantially shorter lifespans than Hyur inherently- they may be subject to environmental and lifestyle factors that mean the average lifespan of a Miqo'te is a bit shorter than a Hyur's, but that's because of Miqo'te living in nomadic/tribal lifestyles. The actual difference would be less than a decade on average, and insubstantial in the case of Miqo'te who live in the city-states proper. F'lhaminn does not appear to have lived a tribal/nomadic lifestyle for most of her life, so it's completely reasonable for her to be able to live as long as the average urban-dwelling Hyur.

I'm beginning to suspect you don't understand my argument.

RE: Information on Life Spans - Jomoru - 01-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 09:19 PM)ansemaru Wrote: I'm beginning to suspect you don't understand my argument.

You would be incorrect. I find your argument a valid conclusion based on the data at hand, however I do not find it to be the sole valid conclusion to the data presented by the game.

Now I am not saying your argument is stating that Miqote have shorter life spans, but based on the topic of this thread those who hold to that argument could easily use your argument as evidence for such. Since other competing theories are valid based on the evidence(you have already dismissed them as secondary though a miss use of Occam's razor) your argument could not be used as a premise for the argument for Miqote rapid aging.

RE: Information on Life Spans - ansemaru - 01-03-2014

I need a drink.