Hydaelyn Role-Players
OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) (/showthread.php?tid=12252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - Sahja Elahka - 06-28-2015

For what it's worth, this is a big reason I advocate running storylines rather than mostly open world RP.  You can't control everyone, and that's just how it is.  You can however, know what you're getting into when you go to table (DnD session style)  Sure its a little less spontaneous.  But you want to be the villain?  That's communicated from the start, all that's there.

Also really cuts back on the slice of life RP which is nice to me.

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - V'aleera - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 05:35 PM)Graeham Wrote: I'd simply ask that you avoid brushing aside my personal opinion by throwing the term 'straw man' around. At no point did I suggest that my way is the right way. I'm simply outlining my own thoughts and concerns. It's a debate, after all! Though I imagine it's a mere misunderstanding!

Quote:a troubling number of role-players seem to want every last little detail of their role-play planned out in advance

Quoted is a straw man; if you look through this thread or any like it you will not find anyone arguing in favor of planning open world encounters to the last meticulous detail. What is being argued in favor of is the establishment of purpose of interaction between two strangers. As you have not been addressing that argument it is very difficult to respond to your posts in a meaningful way.

Additionally, while random walk-up RP can bring with it some surprises that does not preclude interactions predicated on OOC communication from taking a turn for the surprising and dynamic.

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - LiadansWhisper - 06-28-2015

(06-28-2015, 07:31 PM)Intaki Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 05:35 PM)Graeham Wrote: I'd simply ask that you avoid brushing aside my personal opinion by throwing the term 'straw man' around. At no point did I suggest that my way is the right way. I'm simply outlining my own thoughts and concerns. It's a debate, after all! Though I imagine it's a mere misunderstanding!

Quote:a troubling number of role-players seem to want every last little detail of their role-play planned out in advance

Quoted is a straw man; if you look through this thread or any like it you will not find anyone arguing in favor of planning open world encounters to the last meticulous detail. What is being argued in favor of is the establishment of purpose of interaction between two strangers. As you have not been addressing that argument it is very difficult to respond to your posts in a meaningful way.

Additionally, while random walk-up RP can bring with it some surprises that does not preclude interactions predicated on OOC communication from taking a turn for the surprising and dynamic.

I'm....not entirely sure how that qualifies as a "straw man."  He didn't appear to be replying to anyone in particular, simply stating an opinion.  If that's his experience, that's his experience.  He didn't even say that his perception was absolutely true (hence the "seem").  Sad  He just said that's how it appears to him, from his own personal experiences. I'm not sure how that qualifies as a straw man? o_O

And he said a lot of other things in his post, but it seems like you're attacking him based on one line...that I still don't see as a straw man argument.  What's the saying?  Oh yeah.

"That's just like...your opinion, man."  Bouncy

----------

More on Topic, RPers tend to be dramatic by nature.  I think that creative individuals are just a bit more prone to being dramatic than people who lack that sort of creativity.  And people also tend to form into cliques.  It's kind of human nature.  SE has given us a lot of tools to weed out the "problem" people in our game lives, such as the Blacklist button and the Report feature.  I always recommend to anyone being harassed that you report it every time, Blacklist those involved, and don't take their bait.  You'll be happier for it.

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - Sylentmana - 06-30-2015

Well, RP is essentially acting out a role and what are actors if not "drama enthusiasts".

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - -no longer matters- - 06-30-2015

I never understood OOC bitterness from IC, it's just silly and prevents people from playing IC Villains because people just can't seperate that IC they're a villain and kind of a jerk, but OOC they're cool and like everyone.

I what I do is if I think something in RP has somehow offended someone I send an OOC message making sure they're okay and to know it's only IC and that I think they're pretty spifferific OOC still. If that still doesn't curve drama, I quietly withdraw myself "naturally" from RPing with them, and move on. 

One of the reasons I RP a drifter it gives me outs of situations like these. That's just how I try to handle drama or potential drama.

RE: OOC drama and the RP community. (A rant) - Cailean Lockwood - 06-30-2015

When reading through the threads of this forum, I see alot of "I don't like this, so it shouldn't be a thing for anyone", and it kinda breaks my heart. We the RP community usually pride outselves with being open-minded and a friendly community, but there definately are people here who contradicts that heavily.

I'm repeating myself at this point, but I am of the mind of anyone can RP whatever they want to RP, and if you don't agree with other people's RP, simply don't RP with them! As long as they are having fun with whatever they're doing, and as long they don't violate the terms of the game, then that's awesome!

Some people like to level up first before they RP a character of any might, some like to jump straight into it and RP an officer of sorts, though only lvl 5. Some people like to make a character that is 100% lore-correct, some like to bend the rules a bit and maybe play a dragon in disguise as an Elezen, for example. Some like to join a linkshell of free company that mainly focuses on joining LGBT people together, while others don't feel the need to do so...

And ALL of these things are alright! We don't all have to agree with what is right or wrong, there is no need to control or dictate how other people should play this game or how people should do their RP, etc.. People should be able to play whatever they want to play (again, as long it doesn't violate the main rules of the game). And as said, if you don't agree with someone's RP, just don't RP with them. Simple as that. ^^

(06-28-2015, 05:35 PM)Graeham Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 02:34 PM)Intaki Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 12:57 PM)Graeham Wrote: FFXIV's community is a little bizarre in my eyes since a troubling number of role-players seem to want every last little detail of their role-play planned out in advance.
Do they? Or do they simply want to have an understanding of the fundamental premise of the RP before engaging in it? The problem I see with your argument is that, ignoring the straw man which you've erected to knock down, you have an issue with the expression of preference in an open space and that is simply something that neither can nor should be "fixed". 

I would ask you what the difference is between, say, an RPer going to the Quicksand and specifically looking for another character with which to debate Eorzean geopolitics and a person going to the library and immediately heading to the fantasy section rather than choosing a book at random.

I hold the firm belief that if somebody wishes to engage in random role-play then it should be as organic as possible. If I head to the Quicksand - something I would not do often for various reasons - then I, personally, would find it rude to message someone and outline my terms. I would, instead, much prefer to go with the flow.

If something doesn't work out then I always have the power to take my leave of the situation and extensive planning is better suited to coordinated events rather than every last little interaction. Personally I find such an approach leads to stagnation - and if people enjoy that sort of thing more power to them!

I'd simply ask that you avoid brushing aside my personal opinion by throwing the term 'straw man' around. At no point did I suggest that my way is the right way. I'm simply outlining my own thoughts and concerns. It's a debate, after all! Though I imagine it's a mere misunderstanding!

I completely agree with you, Graeham. I think it feels alot more fluid and natural if you don't plan ahead. Sure, your character has a background and a personality that you play out, but you can't control what happens to them. I personally don't like to RP as if everything is scripted beforehand and you are just following the script. It's more like real-life where occurances happen and then you have to react to these occurances. ^^