Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. (/showthread.php?tid=2911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Clover - 08-03-2013

(08-03-2013, 03:01 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Sure, the offshoot of the "K" tribe RPers are probably the largest single group of tribal miqo'te characters, and sure, they have their own cultural conceits and concepts, but they don't have any authority over anyone who isn't in their LS. Just because they're large doesn't mean they're right, nor do they represent any sort of "fanon consensus" that other RPers follow or feel that other players must, or should, follow. We're all very laid-back here in practice; there's no illusory high council running around, and you can be sure that I'd be laying into people making such claims of authority at every turn if there were. Smile
We the K Tribe play with the fact that, as stated officially unless I'm mistaken, every tribe might have different habits and views. For example, it seems some of them are more permissive with their members having close relationships with Keepers, while others might forbid it. Since each big tribe has tons of subtribes, we have plenty of room to play one of them and decide our own rules, which we've tried to stick to the lore whenever it was possible. As a lore follower, I must say I'm very proud of how this tribe is turning out (*-*)

But I digress. What I want to say is that, as you well stated, no tribe is more correct than the other, since the lore itself allows for tribes to differ on some matters. The lore simply gives us some basic concepts that are common to all: naming system, mating system, where we came from.

(08-03-2013, 03:48 AM)Dubs Wrote: Thanks a bunch Freelance. You've really provided me with some insight and much needed perspective about how to approach this. The gradual discovery of how my character might approach a racial connection, whether or not he can deal with being a possible pariah in the Miqo'te community as well as discovering who he is or even if he really wants to know why. I guess it's all up to the linkshell leader and willing participants who wish to accept this kind of character arc within their own personal  RP community.
I fail so much (especially in English discussions) and haven't quite understood your idea, so please forgive me if I got it completely wrong. You mean that, initially, your Miqo'te has no idea of the existence of Miqo'te tribes, which are actually his roots. He might come in contact with them as the story develops, receiving a cultural shock (?)

If that's the case, you can count on my Miqo'te character! I'm certain that she'd be interested in any "lost" Miqo'te; she might even try to convince your character to embrace his "true nature" (as she'd call it). If I got it wrong, I apologize *sweatdrops*.

Just a side note, there are many non-tribal Miqo'tes around the world, so your character wouldn't be alone in his non tribal-ness (sorry for making words up).

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - L'sheba Lhiou - 08-26-2013

(07-18-2013, 01:08 PM)Domos Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 01:03 PM)C Wrote: I'm playing a Coeurl! Given my backstory, it's probably likely that C'io and C'jinn are from different branches of the overall tribe, though.

As C'io, I'd be interested if something came out of this. Given her nature, though, she'll likely wander in and out of the group and be more than happy to help any miqo'te looking to understand or get back in touch with her/his roots! And given that I think my views on how the nunh/tia system work are probably not the norm, though, I'll be keeping my somewhat separated backstory so I don't have to clash paradigms on an OOC level with anyone, just on an IC level, which I always welcome, Smile.

From what I read on your characters view on tribal life, I think it'd be a blast if my character met yours. You'd blow his mind and make him think really hard on the things he was taught as a kid.

On another note, if people are less inclined to change their names, how about a off-shoot tribe from the usual tribes, one consisting of Miqo'te who might have left their original tribes for a reason but still feel the pull to stay connected to other tribal miqo'te?

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Nimarhie - 08-26-2013

Taijha is from the Tayuun tribe/family/clan/whatever (Moonkeeper). But she lived in a very tiny homestead in the Shroud.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - L'sheba Lhiou - 08-26-2013

(08-26-2013, 07:42 PM)I will also be playing my Seeker with non-traditional views on how the nunh/tia system works.  Not sure what C'io's views are but L'Sheba feels the system of breeding is out dated and believes the Miqo'te should be able to choose their own mates and fall in love!! Not have one Nunh rule the tribe.  This is one reason she choose to leave her tribe and branch out on her own.  Cliche I know.  Would love to meet some other tribe members of Viper in game as well.  Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 01:03 PM)C Wrote: I'm playing a Coeurl! Given my backstory, it's probably likely that C'io and C'jinn are from different branches of the overall tribe, though.

As C'io, I'd be interested if something came out of this. Given her nature, though, she'll likely wander in and out of the group and be more than happy to help any miqo'te looking to understand or get back in touch with her/his roots! And given that I think my views on how the nunh/tia system work are probably not the norm, though, I'll be keeping my somewhat separated backstory so I don't have to clash paradigms on an OOC level with anyone, just on an IC level, which I always welcome, Smile.

From what I read on your characters view on tribal life, I think it'd be a blast if my character met yours. You'd blow his mind and make him think really hard on the things he was taught as a kid.

On another note, if people are less inclined to change their names, how about a off-shoot tribe from the usual tribes, one consisting of Miqo'te who might have left their original tribes for a reason but still feel the pull to stay connected to other tribal miqo'te?

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - TheShii - 08-27-2013

I wouldn't mind rp'ing in a tribe, if I ever got into the rp servers that is xD
I'd have to think about whether I was playing a keeper or seeker though. I haven't decided a lot of things yet. atm i'm just playing around with classes first

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Felthias - 08-27-2013

So far, my Miqo'te isn't tribal either but my Miqo'te is determined to start his own tribe or create himself a adventuring group consisting of 6 to 9 people. I think that my Miqo'te will wander between tribes and such if need be, see if that works for me and my character or not, I am uncertain yet.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Vinter - 08-27-2013

I'm currently thinking about what to name my miqo'te male. I really want to put him in an X clan. Because the Lynx is a cool animal. But it's difficult coming up with a decent sounding name that starts with a short "She-" sound.

I'm thinking about where this clan would come from though, and I thought a snowy place would be best, then they could have fluffy tails, and everything will be awesome.
Maybe Coerthas, or somewhere between Ishgard and Sharlayan. According to rumors and concept art, Sharlayan is apparently supposed to be snowy.
It'd be like a northern clade of miqo'te.

I don't have much else figured out yet. So if anyone wants to chime in, we can build something from the ground up. Get surnames and stuff sorted out.
I think it could be a great possibility for some awesome RP.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Random Encounter - 08-27-2013

While both my Seeker and Keeper left behind their tribal ways, I support this idea. It would be a really interesting concept to roleplay.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Y'hmir - 08-27-2013

(08-26-2013, 07:59 PM)L Wrote:
(08-26-2013, 07:42 PM)I will also be playing my Seeker with non-traditional views on how the nunh/tia system works.  Not sure what C'io's views are but L'Sheba feels the system of breeding is out dated and believes the Miqo'te should be able to choose their own mates and fall in love!! Not have one Nunh rule the tribe.  This is one reason she choose to leave her tribe and branch out on her own.  Cliche I know.  Would love to meet some other tribe members of Viper in game as well.  Wrote:

I'm usually on as L'ohke Tia, and I sure don't mind being added as a friend for Viper tribe hijinks..I've yet to actually spot other L'members in-game.

To add to the whole conversation though, I've rp-ed with several Tia's from different tribes now, and all of us have very distintive and different personalities and views on the Tia and Nunh, and how males should act. It makes for hilarity more than conflict, so I don't really see any trouble in people adopting their own 'facts'.

Heck, I basically play my off-shot off the L'tribe based on elfquest!

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Mr.Bear - 08-28-2013

Got a thing i've been pondering on in regards to Miqo'te tribes (the sun ones anyway)

We know they can be quite territorial but I was wondering how much do tribes know of eachother? Do they know all the tribes out there (assuming this knowledge is teached by elders) are there tribes bordering eachother?

Has there been tribal conflict, or is any tribal conflict ongoing? I know of possible conflicts within tribes but I have not heard about tribes fighting others. If that is because they are too distant from eachother or because their disagreements don't bring them that far I don't know. But it's something interesting and good to know or speculate on I can imagine.

For now I can only assume that Tribes tend to distrust eachother and hold a bit of a chilled relationship with them, if at all. Probably because of several reasons, their tribal traditions might be different, they have no blood relationship, one of the tribes has a bad history in that it was once created by a Tia who became a Nunh by leaving but still managed to make a succesfull tribe and so forth. Certain ways of one tribe might be considered dishonorable amongst others.

That said, it could be possible for tribes to have decent relationships if their ways are within agreeable distance from eachother and they believe the other to be honorable enough/have no particularly conflicting past

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - FreelanceWizard - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 05:35 AM)Mr.Bear Wrote: We know they can be quite territorial but I was wondering how much do tribes know of eachother? Do they know all the tribes out there (assuming this knowledge is teached by elders) are there tribes bordering eachother?

Has there been tribal conflict, or is any tribal conflict ongoing? I know of possible conflicts within tribes but I have not heard about tribes fighting others.

Bearing in mind the miqo'te are (by lore, anyway) relatively rare in Eorzea, and that it's a big place, and as a result the tribes and their branches are likely fairly spread out -- tribal conflicts have happened, as taking territory by force from another tribe is an acceptable way to become the nunh of that territory (Fernehalwes dev post).

Beyond that, I'd suggest that any conflict between tribes is largely on a personal level. It's possible that, say, a Coeurl branch and a Viper branch in close proximity and with a penchant for violence might regularly battle over territory. As a result, PCs of those branches might hold contempt for members of the other tribe, regardless of their branch. However, that wouldn't be true of all members of the tribe, or even all members of that branch. In fact, if such an inculturated Viper were to start lobbing insults and threats at a random Coeurl, the reaction would probably be one of surprise -- "Why is this random miqo'te making insinuations about the heritage of my mother, and suggesting that she's a prostitute?"

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - E'irawen - 08-28-2013

I once noticed how many K-names of seekers filled our Wiki and originally had thought something similar to the opening post of this thread. "It's interesting," I thought, "This would mean they're all technically from the same tribe, no?"

But that's not necessarily the case. Though technically they are part of the K (Hipparion) namesake, their clans are still split up among different tribes throughout Eorzea (primarily the Shrouds, from what I remember). So, while it's entirely okay for two K-tribe members to meet and just be like "What up, Hipparion represent,"  it doesn't necessarily mean they are part of or were brought up in the same exact tribe.

(Plus there are members, such as my character K'aworu, who were not brought up with their tribe at all, for other story related reasons.)

Edit: I think I should clarify for myself, too. I see that the idea is for a K-tribe. How do you guys intend on making this work? (I am genuinely curious! <3)   Do you plan on automatically assuming that any Miqote with a K-related name has heritage within your tribe?

Apologies if this was already brought up or explained. For only six pages of responses, it was getting pretty lengthy to catch up on. I also want to note this was only directly in response to the original/OP question of the thread!

Totally voted for the wrong server, I meant to pick Balmung. Just saying.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Mr.Bear - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 09:55 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 05:35 AM)Mr.Bear Wrote: We know they can be quite territorial but I was wondering how much do tribes know of eachother? Do they know all the tribes out there (assuming this knowledge is teached by elders) are there tribes bordering eachother?

Has there been tribal conflict, or is any tribal conflict ongoing? I know of possible conflicts within tribes but I have not heard about tribes fighting others.

Bearing in mind the miqo'te are (by lore, anyway) relatively rare in Eorzea, and that it's a big place, and as a result the tribes and their branches are likely fairly spread out -- tribal conflicts have happened, as taking territory by force from another tribe is an acceptable way to become the nunh of that territory (Fernehalwes dev post).

The or a nunh of that territory, yes. Not a leader though, Nunh are rarely that.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Vinter - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 09:55 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: "Why is this random miqo'te making insinuations about the heritage of my mother, and suggesting that she's a prostitute?"
That brings up an interesting question. How do you think the familial relations look among the miqo'te?
They're not exactly monogamous creatures, and according to the lore the rites and rituals regarding who can and cannot be a Nunh is to ensure that the offspring are of the finest stock. That seems very detached and practical. It doesn't sound like love ever enters into it. Not romantic love anyway.

Could it be that since the Nunh is just a breeding male, he is expected to sire many children, and thus would be too busy to take part in raising any of them? And so, perhaps strong familial bonds would only exist between the mother and the child, and not the father and the child.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Y'el Vhez - 08-28-2013

(08-28-2013, 11:49 AM)Vinter Wrote:
(08-28-2013, 09:55 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: "Why is this random miqo'te making insinuations about the heritage of my mother, and suggesting that she's a prostitute?"
That brings up an interesting question. How do you think the familial relations look among the miqo'te?
They're not exactly monogamous creatures, and according to the lore the rites and rituals regarding who can and cannot be a Nunh is to ensure that the offspring are of the finest stock. That seems very detached and practical. It doesn't sound like love ever enters into it. Not romantic love anyway.

Could it be that since the Nunh is just a breeding male, he is expected to sire many children, and thus would be too busy to take part in raising any of them? And so, perhaps strong familial bonds would only exist between the mother and the child, and not the father and the child.
That's kind of how I play my Seeker. Her father banged out a lot of different kids with different mates, so there's a lot of siblings out there, but Y'el only really connected with her mother.