Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Long Road Ahead - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Long Road Ahead (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-06-2014

Yayabuko was not ordinarily cantankerous. He dealt with the worst the city had to offer on a regular basis, and had profited greatly from that interaction. He was the man everyone knew, someone to go to when you were in need of connections quickly. It was not his fault that his reaction to Zhi was so poor -- she'd started it, as they say.

Melkire had finished it. With an extra dollop of 'hi, please hate me for the rest of my life.'

Yayabuko mistakenly believed that the problems that had been generated from the thirty-thou job had originated as one of Zhi's bent schemes. Being that her credit with him had already been shaky at best, attempts to turn the relationship back onto firmer ground had been. . .mixed. Bruises and scrapes had eventually convinced Zhi that it was better to go with the metaphorical version of sleeping on the couch for the next month or two (or three) -- similar to how she was out with other gangs (and for the same reason) -- but Flit represented an unexpected predicament.

One that, out of all her contacts, she only trusted Yayabuko to be able to resolve.

Funny how that worked.

So it was that the lalafell stared at Flit like the other man was something left by fishmongers cleaning up their wares. But, the clean accent and calm words were reasonable things that proved that Flit himself wasn't anything like Zhi. And, as Flit had said, business was business.

"You, go cool your heels elsewhere. I'll talk to you." The hard stare he aimed at Zhi was matched by the slightly-less-cold version that Flit himself earned.

Zhi leaned down a little to clap Flit on the shoulder. "Ask fer th'Heavy Handers," she said, offering a flippant smile to Yayabuko when his gaze turned frosty.

She turned and walked away, keeping the two men in eyesight but not so close that Yayabuko could offer any more of his withering complaints.

Yayabuko, for his part, turned his full attention onto Flit. He was still not happy, but at least he was more tractable than he had been. "Are you a warrior, then, looking to sell your skills?"

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-06-2014

He had heard her words and offered a slight nod as she walked away from them. He kept his eyes firmly on Yayabuko and waited respectfully for the man to address him. As Ruru....no...Flit.....he needed to remember that. As Flit had a ingrained sense of deference to elders and to those in power (and clearly this man had some power leverage else why would Kink waster her time taking him to see the man?), he ensured that this came across through his body language.

When Yayabuko spoke plainly and asked him, Flit nodded sharp, once. "Aye. I'm looking for work and I have the skills. But I was looking for particular work....the Heavy Handers......is there an opportunity there for work?" He looked at the man with a serious look in his eyes, not one of mild curiousity.

It wasn't Yayabuko's business to ask questions, but he gave Flit a long look when he specifically mentioned the Heavy Handers. "There's always work amidst them and their ilk for skilled swordsman. However, since Kink is your guarantor, I will be charging an extra thou for this introduction. Flat. No haggling. I'm not in the mood for it. You tell her that, and I want the money by tonight.

"I'll arrange for a meeting tomorrow morning -- "

"Today!" Zhi called. Miqo'te hearing was, as always, exceptional.

"Two thou, by today," Yayabuko growled. "Two bells, at The Highness. Red armband. She'll know. Anything else?"

Flit listened and nodded at the man's words, never changing his demeanor. He presented himself as a man of serious business and meant it. The exhange between Kink and Yayabuko was finished and when Flit was asked if there was anything else, Flit nodded. "Two thou....by today. You'll have it. He offered a sidelong glance in the direction of Kink. He knew he might be risking his own neck with he rbut needed to take the opportunity or it might be lost. He lowered his voice, and leaned in.

"Should the need arise for work in the future....am I able to come to you on my own?" He looked at the man and waited.

"I'd prefer it," Yayabuko said, voice flat. He was looking past Flit and towards Zhi. She was approaching with an abashed sort of look.

Yayabuko turned away.

"Let's find ye a place t'stay, an' I'll round up th'gil fer our fine man here," Zhi said, holding out an arm to direct Flit away from the docks.

As she moved him away he looked at her flatly and said, "I can cover the gil. It's my fault I'm in this mess. I can pay for my own mistake. Though he was pissed....thank you." He nodded morseo to himself than to her. He was trying to make it all make sense in his head. Kink....Yayabuko....Heavy Handers.

Just months ago he was a fresh faced adventurer sitting in Ul'dah posting a silly notice on the Sultansworn offices asking for work. And now he was in hiding....though it was in plain sight. And he was rather enjoying the rush of this. Though he was sure Kink would not appreciate his enjoyment of this, he was surprised by the feeling (lost for so long of late) he had from the process thus far:

Happiness.

Zhi laughed, delight lighting up her face. "Yer free t'spend yer gil wherever ye want. I ain't gonna stop ye." There was speculation in her as she leaned down and slapped his upper back. "Jes watch ye don't cross th'line t'stupidity, flitter-mouse."

They crossed two bridges and climbed a set of stairs. Zhi stayed alert, spending more time looking away from Flit even as she talked and directed him.

"Now, this patch o'businesses here belongs t'one o'the barons. He likes makin' money moren' anythin' else, so long as ye keep yer fingers clean ye shouldn't be bothered. Don't stare too long at nobody, an' walk like ye mean business. Keep yer business t'yerself. Don't interfere in nothin' ye see. Fancy? Don't forget yer name is Vivikuso now. When ye rent a room, use it. Here."

She pointed towards a roughly-hewn stone building. There was a faded sign proclaiming it as Garters, with a crudely painted border made to look like fish guts. Charming, as was the rest of the area.

"Ye'll be in view o'th' part o'the docks where Heaven's Gate docks. Don't bring nobody back here. Fancy? Now go rent yer room."

Zhi jerked her chin towards the squat little building, and folded her arms.

He took in every word as gospel and nodded at each pause. His brother would have been impressed with her knowledge and ties. Nonotano had worked hard to forge a similar knowledge base in Ul'dah from what Flit could remember. He shook his slightly trying to purge the sudden thought of Nono. Ghosts needn't spoil his mood.

He entered the building and paid a large sum to hold the room and informed the manager that he would be paying daily and ensured it was reserved for Vivikuso. Placing his gear in the room, he hid the bag with his sword and armor as best he could, making it inconspicuous. He withdrew the gil from his bag and counted out two thousand, hiding the rest amongs his bags, securing them the best he could in the room. It was modest, unlike what he was used to back in Ul'dah but liveable. He nodded to himself and locked the door on his way out, ready to report to Kink.

Zhi met Flit outside the building, disengaging from a conversation with another woman who glanced at Flit and melted away into the sparse crowd. "Still got another bell," she grunted, eyeballing the sun while rocking back and forth from the balls of her feet to the heels. "Ye hungry?"

He watched the stranger disappear among the people and noted it, though he wasn't sure it would do any good as he didn't see her face. When Kink asked him if he was hungry he realized he hadn't eaten since the previous day and he heard his stomach growl.

"Aye. I'm famished actually." He looked around and then back to Kink, hoping she knew of a good spot to find food.

There were numerous food stalls in and around Limsa Lominsa. Most of them sold some form of fish, featuring local delicacies to common and greasy meals that used the cheapest ingredients. But all of them had some claim to using only the freshest of what was available.

It was, of course, a common-and-greasy variant that Zhi took Flit to. It sold fish-on-sticks primarily, using the cheapest and most common fish sold in the harbor. They were fried skin on, a half-fillet each. Zhi bought a head to go with hers: lightly crisped, it was cheap, and the eyeballs made for a pleasant zing of flavor after the greasiness of the fillet.

She settled them under an overhang from an awning of another business. At that time of morning, the few rickety tables and chairs set up were all taken. Limsa Lominsa was starting to come alive, the buzz of chatter and the sound of commerce filling up the city's unique structure.

Zhi cradled her food protectively and dug into it without regard for neatness or manners. When she spoke, it was with mouth full: she was unabashed that the masticated lump she was currently chewing on would be fully visible to anyone who looked at her face. "Th' Heavy Handers, it's possible they might be tied up wi' the man what's tryin' t' take out Thatcher." She was casual, ears flicking back and forth as she listened to their surroundings. She had her back to a wall.

The fish was delicious and he ate quietly, watching Kink eat her food. While others might find it a mess (which it was), it was actually charming. And he caught himself smiling as he watched her before continuing with his own food.

As she explained the reasoning for working with the Heavy Handers, he paused and nodded, undertsanding the logic. But he had a question that had burned at him through the morning.

"Kink....say we are able to stop these people from what they want to do to Grace's business. And I make it out alive somehow.....what happens to me then?"

At that, Zhi did look down at Flit. Her mouth was full, one cheek bulging out as she smirked. She looked away and swallowed. "'M I yer mam?" She carefully picked out a few bones, flicking them to the ground before taking another huge bite.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-09-2014

The words stung a bit and he bit into his fish quietly before responding, his words chosen carefully and thoughtfully. With a low, measured voice, looking at the fish, he said, "No. No I suppose you're not."

He turned and took a couple of steps away from her then looked back over his shoulder at her, only his eyepatch visible and a stern face set upon him showing. "But as you have taken to changing my hair, my name and moving me along without much explanation of exactly what I am to do....you could at least humor me with a semblance of a conversation."

He took a deep breath inwardly praying he handn't overstepped with her.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-11-2014

"We're talkin', ain't we?" Zhi leaned back against the wall. One eyebrow raised, she tilted her head as she looked back over at him.