Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! (/showthread.php?tid=10181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-24-2015

...does paper mario count? >////<

also i've heard it called more action/adventure than rpg but i'm obsessed to an unhealthy level really enjoy the loz series.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - TheLastCandle - 02-25-2015

(02-24-2015, 04:11 PM)Kage Wrote: For the series of games listed here (Persona, breath of fire, Suikoden, Tales), which ones did you enjoy a lot?

For Breath of Fire fans, which Nina did you like the most? Was she winged or not?

For the Tales fans, did you purchase some of the wardrobe DLCs like I did? >>

1. Tales.. mm, for story/characters I'd hand it to Vesperia. For battle system, it's Graces hands DOWN. Breath of Fire III is my favorite BoF, but..

2. Black-winged Ninja from BoF2.

[Image: 314332-bof2_misc01.jpg]

3. Only the school uniforms for Graces f. xD

AND OF COURSE PAPER MARIO COUNTS. The Thousand Year Door is one of the greatest Japanese RPGs ever created.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - ChewableMorphine - 02-25-2015

H-hey... r-r-remember Wild ARMs? N-no? O-okay.... It's not like it's my f-f-favorite RPG series... Cry

[Image: Wildarmscase.jpg]

[Image: 13791_front.jpg]

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-25-2015

omg i love the first one and 1000 year door! vivian is sooooooooooooooooo freaking adorable! and i love the whole story and feel. part of me wishes there was more room for exploration in each area but i love trying to track down all those star shards. even paper mario wii wasn't to bad.....admittedly; i'm having a harder time finding the love for sticker star as i have the previous three in the series >n<;

(02-18-2015, 08:26 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(02-18-2015, 08:22 PM)Blue Wrote: Wild Arms! With 3 being my favorite chapter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvoueEiVyWE

One of the characters there, Jet Enduro, is who I named Jet'a Vann after. I love that albino Heart
3 was such a bold game. It seems everything about it set out to differ from other jrpg. The lead is a female with no shallow romance defining her, the loner gets a lot of criticism and ridicule for being standoffish, the big guy is a Mage, and the sniper is a pleasant, happily married middle aged man. And everyone had guns. It was brilliant.

MY SHIELD IS STRONG, I'LL TAKE MY CHANCES HEEEEEEERE AND NOW, BRING ON THE FIGHT: I'LL FIND A WAY TO WIIIIIIIN SOMEHOOOOOOW, FOR TOMORROW'S A BRAND NEW DAY, I'LL RISK IT AAAAAAAAAALL

FOR THIS BRAAAND

NEW

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

ALSO: Forgot who, but somebody mentioned how big wild west culture is in the Wild ARMs series, but did you know that the Wild ARMs 1 overworld theme is actually the end song in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly?

[youtube]joq9WadIMxE[/youtube]

[youtube]-PvyBKSmQ_g[/youtube]

AND ALSO, did you know the recurring optional bosses "Creeping Chaos/Hyulkonton" aliens in the WA series are based off the Flatwoods monster?
Creeping Chaos
[Image: 12-09.jpg]

Flatwoods Monster
[Image: FlatwoodsMonster.jpg]

Lastly, did you know that in Wild ARMs 2, in Ashley's room, theres a hung up picture of Vash the Stampede from Trigun?

[Image: 3924.png]

[Image: Vash.the.Stampede.full.408206.jpg]

I'm the biggest western nerd out there, and Wild ARMs is something I essentially know like the back of my hand. Hope this little trivia blurb appealed to the WA fans in here.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Elicoidali - 02-25-2015

Here's mine, in no particular order:

Odin Sphere
Drakengard/Drag-On Dragoon 2
NieR/NieR Replicant (the music goddamn)
Lunar 2
Tales of Destiny 1 & 2 (nope, not Eternia)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Breath of Fire IV
Harvest Moon: Oh Wonderful Life (this one's surprisingly sad)

And then there's the newer stuff--

Heavy Rain
The Last of Us
Bastion
Journey

Like Warren, my completion rate is low too. :c

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Kilid/Torhe - 02-25-2015

Had a problem here, nailing down games that are strictly RPG's and not, say, adventures.  Or games with RPG elements that otherwise really don't belong.

And then I decided I'm not that fussed about the above distinction Tongue

From the PC!  Baldur's Gate I/II (+expansions), and NeverWinter Nights (I've not really ever put much effort into the sequel, I'm ashamed to say).  Fallout, of course.  More recently it's been A Tale of Two Wastelands, which was a brilliant idea to port FO3 into the FO:NV engine.

Also, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and Terranigma from the SNES days... oh, and A Link to the Past, of course.  Would be criminal to forget that o.o

Hmm... Phantasy Star Online on the ol' Dreamcast stole many an hour, too...

I'll return and add more after coffee.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Madda - 02-25-2015

Madda can't not mention the Mario RPGs.

Super Mario RPG was probably the first Madda played when Madda had a SNES during 2010. It actually had a surprising amount of depth for a simple Mario RPG. It also was the first time Madda ever played an RPG and had actual input on how an attack could hit harder instead of wishing for it to crit (see Geno Whirl)

Then the Paper Mario series (which is rumored to be a successor to Super Mario RPG) followed that formula somewhat while also having an interesting style of its own.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is probably the most hated of them for Madda. The idea of grinding in RPGs isn't common, but not when Madda has to grind coins to buy stickers to get more stickers to fight a boss so Madda can advance to the next level. (There are 1-1 style level from Mario Bros, which is kinda iffy)

Madda's absolute favorite is the Mario & Luigi games. While not true to the RPG genre, they're incredibly fun and entertaining to play through. It does have much of the same "Mario-isms" that the series is known for, but they expand it to have unique new characters and enemies. Some people may not like the stylus controls, but they're incredibly fun, and deserve a playthrough at least.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-26-2015

(02-25-2015, 02:59 PM)Madda Wrote: Paper Mario: Sticker Star is probably the most hated of them for Madda. The idea of grinding in RPGs isn't common, but not when Madda has to grind coins to buy stickers to get more stickers to fight a boss so Madda can advance to the next level. (There are 1-1 style level from Mario Bros, which is kinda iffy)
not to mention it's got that annoying auto save that saves EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A LEVEL Frustrated

if there's a way to turn this "feature" off, someone pls tell me, i hates it so much T^T

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Madda - 02-26-2015

(02-26-2015, 12:30 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(02-25-2015, 02:59 PM)Madda Wrote: Paper Mario: Sticker Star is probably the most hated of them for Madda. The idea of grinding in RPGs isn't common, but not when Madda has to grind coins to buy stickers to get more stickers to fight a boss so Madda can advance to the next level. (There are 1-1 style level from Mario Bros, which is kinda iffy)
not to mention it's got that annoying auto save that saves EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE A LEVEL Frustrated

if there's a way to turn this "feature" off, someone pls tell me, i hates it so much T^T

As far as Madda knows, there's no way to turn the auto save off. the save locks in the field are there in case there's something you want to get to quickly. This also makes the save block in Decalburg incredibly pointless.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Inessa Hara - 02-26-2015

Im currently playing Valkyria Chronicles right now.

It's a great game (the AI can be pretty difficult ((and terrible sometimes #FriendlyFireFellowNPC's))) but it's a pretty great game. Lot's of strategy involved and the game makes you think of who you want to bring into fights and how to actually play the game compared to grinding for levels then mindlessly attacking the boss mobs for progression.

Not to mention it has some pretty sick graphics and really nice PC support.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-26-2015

(02-26-2015, 01:35 AM)Madda Wrote:

As far as Madda knows, there's no way to turn the auto save off. the save locks in the field are there in case there's something you want to get to quickly. This also makes the save block in Decalburg incredibly pointless.

i just find it highly annoying....that combined with the "hey you must be overweight because you're playing a game....why not put it down for a bit and go stand under that bright thingie in the sky outside? 8D" after like 15 minutes* of gametime >.>
*exaggeration of warning time highly probable but still frustrating

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Madda - 02-27-2015

(02-26-2015, 03:03 AM)Cliodhna Eoghan Wrote:
(02-26-2015, 01:35 AM)Madda Wrote:

i just find it highly annoying....that combined with the "hey you must be overweight because you're playing a game....why not put it down for a bit and go stand under that bright thingie in the sky outside? 8D" after like 15 minutes* of gametime >.>
*exaggeration of warning time highly probable but still frustrating

Madda finds it more likely to be one of those games where it saves constantly in case something happens and creates an error, such as a game crash. That way it can quickly get the player back  in the game after its resolved. 

But games that pester you about taking a break are annoying, even if they're intended for the younger audience. Nintendo from the 90s would laugh in your face if you needed a break.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-27-2015

(02-27-2015, 02:13 AM)Madda Wrote: Madda finds it more likely to be one of those games where it saves constantly in case something happens and creates an error, such as a game crash. That way it can quickly get the player back  in the game after its resolved. 

But games that pester you about taking a break are annoying, even if they're intended for the younger audience. Nintendo from the 90s would laugh in your face if you needed a break.

plausible but annoying non the less. .----.

lol true enough but those 80's games; you saved when you died xD