Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kashemia - 09-02-2010

Siben Wrote:OMFG Stop sounding like scared, embarassed nancy-boys!

Holy crap, do you people know how infuriating it is to hear "omg I don't think we should roll on that server, they might call us names or grief us!" over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again?

Man up or bitch out people. You're a role player goddammit, be proud! Shoulders back, chest out, show some back bone!

... Really? I agree that it's not a big problem, but I still think you're overreacting a lot. So far, I haven't seen anyone showing any sign of panic about griefers, just expressing a wish to roll on a different server, which I think is personally very fair. I think you're reading too much into things.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - ArmachiA - 09-02-2010

That's Siben, He's full of NERD RAGE

proud, proud Nerd Rage
Heart

Ah, delicious nerd rage *nods*

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Selyne - 09-02-2010

RAWR!

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Siben - 09-02-2010

Nerd Rage..pfft. My anger has it's own gravitational field.

No, it's peppered through a lot of the threads, there's a subtle undertone that people really don't want to roll anywhere because there might be another group on that server who "don't take kindly to our type 'round these here parts." and I find this "sub-beta" attitude of attempting to avoid any and all types of conflict or confrontations extremely unappealing and frankly, a little disappointing.

I'm no 'alpha-male-top-dawg' by any stretch of the imagination but I personally hate, literally HATE this viewpoint of "Roleplay is our dirty little secret" that seems so pervasive within the community (the RP community in general not just FF14 or what have you).

Be proud of who you are, and if someone out there is roleplaying something that they would rather not get caught role-playing in a mis-tell...then maybe they should think twice about why/what/how they're RP'ing. Role Play is a craft, it's WORK. You should take pride in your work. Not try to find some out of the way corner to do it in so no one will bother you.

I'm a roleplayer and I'm proud, dammit. I shall not scurry off into the recesses of some low-pop, out of the way server and hide my performance art from the public because of the off chance that some neanderthal with no imagination takes offense at my attempt to breathe more life into the character that I play. It's not "nerd rage" it's passion. I'm passionate about roleplaying and I don't care who knows it because there's nothing "wrong" with it. If you don't like my roleplay then get the hell out of the Tavern I say! Tongue

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Samriel - 09-02-2010

I don't know which one to pick! Moogle

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Blade - 09-02-2010

Siben Wrote:Nerd Rage..pfft. My anger has it's own gravitational field.

No, it's peppered through a lot of the threads, there's a subtle undertone that people really don't want to roll anywhere because there might be another group on that server who "don't take kindly to our type 'round these here parts." and I find this "sub-beta" attitude of attempting to avoid any and all types of conflict or confrontations extremely unappealing and frankly, a little disappointing.

I'm no 'alpha-male-top-dawg' by any stretch of the imagination but I personally hate, literally HATE this viewpoint of "Roleplay is our dirty little secret" that seems so pervasive within the community (the RP community in general not just FF14 or what have you).

Be proud of who you are, and if someone out there is roleplaying something that they would rather not get caught role-playing in a mis-tell...then maybe they should think twice about why/what/how they're RP'ing. Role Play is a craft, it's WORK. You should take pride in your work. Not try to find some out of the way corner to do it in so no one will bother you.

I'm a roleplayer and I'm proud, dammit. I shall not scurry off into the recesses of some low-pop, out of the way server and hide my performance art from the public because of the off chance that some neanderthal with no imagination takes offense at my attempt to breathe more life into the character that I play. It's not "nerd rage" it's passion. I'm passionate about roleplaying and I don't care who knows it because there's nothing "wrong" with it. If you don't like my roleplay then get the hell out of the Tavern I say! Tongue

I sorta see it sprinkled through the forums as well... it's like people seem shy. "We don't want to go to that server because of the kind of people that will attract." Umm... what does that mean? I really don't think (if they were doing villain names) that a server named Sephiroth would attract any bigger douchebags than any other server. I actually hope we pick a server with a decent population because honestly if it's just RP folks on here then we might not really be able to enjoy the actual game part of the game as much.

That being said I RP in FFXI still to this day and I run around with my bazaar comment always advertising my RP linkshell. And sure, a couple of times I've run into a few endgame jerks who have thought to poke fun at me (and it gets really awkward for them when you show you aren't impressed with their fancy gear and say you don't care to spend the years of time it took for them to get it). And sometimes they just try to make fun of you anyways. Oh well, we got /blacklist. But the reason I keep that bazaar comment is because every once in a couple months someone checks me who is interested and we get a new member and that makes the little jokes worth it.

Don't let people get on your case for RPing, its just some random yahoo on the internet taking pot shots at someone. And the truth is we aren't going to be able to avoid them even if we tried.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Sylian - 09-02-2010

Lindblum has my vote as well, love the city, love the game.. Smile

On a sidenote:

[Image: barret.gif&t=1] Barret is angry for not getting a server. He at least wanted a Corel or AVALANCHE server. Oh well, Balthier didn't get a server either. Barret also doesn't like Wutai..

Trying to avoid certain things doesn't necessarely have anything to do with being embarassed or shy about what you do though. I'm proud to roleplay, and I have absoultely no intention of hiding it.
I used to wear sort of gothic style clothes in highschool, and no matter how little I cared about the negative comments I got, it doesn't mean I wouldn't have prefered that it didn't include the threat of a serious beating from a couple of rockers.

To me, avoiding people like /b/ or SKUM or the Goons has nothing to do with being a roleplayer and everything to do with simply not wanting to play with those types of people (yes, I know the Goons can be fun to hang around, it's just an example since I know they've been mentioned before Wink ).
I know there'll be idiots on all servers, but that doesn't mean we have to seek them out.

That being said, I completely agree with your point! We should NOT be ashamed, and we should not be trying to hide. And as I said in another thread, I'm sure it won't be a big problem no matter what.

In general I agree with you, I really do. I just wanted to explain at least my own reasoning for wishing to avoid certain people, and it has nothing to do with being a roleplayer.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Alevra - 09-02-2010

Lindblum gets my vote. :cheer:

Yeah, I voted Lindblum too. I don't really care where we end up anyway Tongue

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kylin - 09-02-2010

Lindblum appears to be a fairly "safe" choice. Doesn't seem like too many large communities are heading there. Core is pretty well split between about 3 servers it looks like. No reports of the any major potential griefing communities heading for the server either.

This is of course assuming that Lindblum stays in its current lead. There are still quite a number of people who haven't voted and we could still be surprised. But it's slowly looking like Lindblum may become our home server at this current rate. Besaid is looking like the overflow server so far.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Alevra - 09-02-2010

My experience is never take 2 on top or bottom one in server list. They tend to be most popular and usually full of griefers, but then again thats just my experience. Tongue

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Mycroft - 09-02-2010

Trine Wrote:
RcknShdw Wrote:I didn't vote for it because I can't...stand...Yuffie >.<

Don't diss mah Yuffie! Else I'll have to come after you... and steal your materia! XP

Fixed

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Rhio - 09-02-2010

I'm keeping a close eye on this, as I'd like to be able to announce the unofficial RP server in my column this week. The earlier it gets around, the more people will plan around the basis of the RP server, either to seek it out or avoid it.