Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kage - 01-28-2015

I think it was a conversation likening it to... people who wear cat ear bands and tails. We're not generally swishing the tails or flicking the ears or flattening them. The tail doesn't raise or fluff up when certain emotions may cause them to (as some emotes show)

They're just... there. I assume that's what was meant, as some RPers typically don't always RP with them there, using them.

In my mind, they're not always used even by NPCs. Outraged or shock, huge emotions may get them but generally for me they would have fallen to the wayside as it's generally not used.

Until those intense emotions come to play.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kinono - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:01 PM)Kage Wrote: I think it was a conversation likening it to... people who wear cat ear bands and tails. We're not generally swishing the tails or flicking the ears or flattening them. The tail doesn't raise or fluff up when certain emotions may cause them to (as some emotes show)

They're just... there. I assume that's what was meant, as some RPers typically don't always RP with them there, using them.

In my mind, they're not always used even by NPCs. Outraged or shock, huge emotions may get them but generally for me they would have fallen to the wayside as it's generally not used.

Until those intense emotions come to play.

There's probably a big difference between a bright-eyed and literally bushy-tailed teen versus a hardened soldier or adventurer. Cat-person or not, learning to conceal/hide emotions is very much a typical and regular skill.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Alothia - 01-28-2015

//magicadminhat

I'm deleting the posts in question. If those of you involved in those posts wish to continue that conversation, please do it in PMs. Thanks.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-28-2015

People can RP however they want and you're an ass if you try and force a certain style of RP for everyone.

Grow up.

To be honest, and this is just my opinion and could be just my stereotyping, I don't think many people are foregoing using the tail and ears to help emphasize emotions to hide their emotions. There are certainly those who do but I don't think it's the general Miqo'te RPer. I think it's just something that in order to keep on with the story they only use it when it's a very intense emotion. They aren't very conscious of using them in the day to day.

Then again, I know very little.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: People can RP however they want and you're an ass if you try and force a certain style of RP for everyone.

That's basically the gist of it. People play in different ways, and there isn't anything inherently "wrong" with not sticking precisely with aspects and traits tied to your race's lore. All I need (and I specify me, as this is personal opinion) is a potential explanation if I'm curious enough to press.

"So... you're a Keeper. You must be the one in charge in your house, huh?"
"Nah."
"Oh? I thought Keepers were all matriarchal and stuff."
"They are, I just find that an equal relationship between a married couple results in a lot less hassle."
"Makes sense!"

And I think the point that there's no need to constantly draw attention to "HEY, I HAVE CAT EARS" has been made enough times. Though, I wonder if Elezen and Lalafell ears are mobile in any shape or form. Twitch twitch.

(01-28-2015, 02:13 PM)Gegenji Wrote: And I think the point that there's no need to constantly draw attention to "HEY, I HAVE CAT EARS" has been made enough times. Though, I wonder if Elezen and Lalafell ears are mobile in any shape or form. Twitch twitch.

Once upon a time a few of us played with the idea that the ears were sensitive to the touch and sort of a soothing point. Sleepers time if you would.

... they then extended it to lalafell ears and I said fuck it why not. The ears, they twitch. They are also very sensitive.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:12 PM)Kage Wrote: To be honest, and this is just my opinion and could be just my stereotyping, I don't think many people are foregoing using the tail and ears to help emphasize emotions to hide their emotions. There are certainly those who do but I don't think it's the general Miqo'te RPer. I think it's just something that in order to keep on with the story they only use it when it's a very intense emotion. They aren't very conscious of using them in the day to day.

Then again, I know very little.

to me it's no different than the movements we have as humans.

Am I gonna emote every single finger twitch and head turn, and blink, and swallow, and shift? No. People fidget, have tics, etc.

I use them when I want to draw attention to something, or if I see a character is either very adept at reading body language or is paying extra attention to my character. Otherwise, I give just enough to show what my character is doing, and leave the rest to the other player's imagination. Too many details clutter up the writing, imo.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Aya - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 11:50 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I don't think there's anything wrong with picking a race based on whether or not it's conventionally attractive. I do think it raises alarm bells when a character has no depth beyond 'look how hot I am' though.
*Crai*

Final Fantasy is an original MMO world, which means.. I think.. that the lore will always be lacking.  How can culture and lore be deeply established with nuance, tradition, history, and all of the depth of human cultures, without being written on the pages of books?  All an MMO can present are vignettes and superficial glimpses.  I think with that limitation drawing from stereotypical Fantasy tropes (based upon easy to recognize human cultural cues) makes an incredible amount of sense.  They've given us enough bread crumbs to fill in the gaps ourselves, while throwing in enough unexpected twists that no one outside of Midlanders seem bland.  (Now why have they left Midlanders so bland? I really can't tell you).

I have a suspicion that the originally quoted text was a statement born largely out of frustration at a certain interpretation of Miqo'te characters by the playerbase at large.  No doubt much of this interpretation is due to the legion of ERP-characters parading about the QS and its environs (though I would like to note that Highlanders ladies are nearly as common as Miqo'te).  I certainly understand that frustration!

Still, although I don't think it was really meant literally, the idea of looking down upon someone for not explicitly paying detailed attention to the tail and ears of a Miqo'te character is a little silly.  Are they really that important?  And if they are, what is a Hyur to do without them?  Certainly the full range of emotional response should be expressible without any reference to either... I'm not even convinced that Miqo'te can twitch their ears like cats, and if they can.. I find that really disturbing!

But, the bottom line is that Balmung is full of serious and interesting RPers (along with those who are less serious and less interesting).  This population does not cleave to the understood in-game population at all.  There are vastly more Miqo'te, vastly more male Miqo'te in particular, and nowhere near as many Lalafel and Hyur as would be expected.  Trying to force the playerbase into even a lore-founded conception of what the people of Eorzea should be like is going to be a fool's game.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - SessionZero - 01-28-2015

I only emote the ears of my Miqo'te when it can emphasize a certain action or give outward evidence of inner workings (specifically, my Miqo'te's ear twitches when she's thinking really hard). Anything else is redundant. The ears and tail are right there, in-game, doing stuff. I don't need to tell you they're there to remind you I am a catgirl and be teh bestest catgirl arpeer.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Zyrusticae - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:09 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: People can RP however they want and you're an ass if you try and force a certain style of RP for everyone.

Grow up.
allgivenover is more just really irritated (to the point of retiring his character) that 9/10 Miqo'te RPers take the non-traditional/city/lore-breaking route when he just wants to play with more RPers that actually RP out the traditional lore as it stands. It's less trying to 'force a certain style of RP for everyone' and more wanting SOMEONE, ANYONE to roleplay with that is outside a very small, close-knit circle.

(I haven't RPed in-game in quite some time, so I don't actually know if this is the case, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.)

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - K'nahli - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:20 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:11 PM)K Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)N Wrote: When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

A lot of people have the wrong idea about them in general so if you even show hints of promiscuity then you're going to get slapped by the judgemental hand of Lord Stereotype.
I find this a good question. For example -- up until recent developments I played Berrod as a very sexually charged character. He sometimes went out of his way to display his attractiveness, down to the sort of clothes he wore. He had zero problem calling lewdly to women in public, and would often strut about with a blatant "You definitely wanna fuck me" attitude. Yet -- he never got the reputation of being a gutterslut. Was it because Highlanders don't have the same sort of societal construct as Miqo'te? I could never figure it out.

I would honestly imagine so. As much as I hate to admit, miqo'te have a bad stigma about them when it comes to things like that and that's why I always find myself trying to have people look at it from a perspective that isn't so shallowly portrayed by those who wanted to settle for the first thing that came to most peoples' minds when they first heard the lore.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:25 PM)Aya Wrote: and nowhere near as many Lalafel and Hyur as would be expected.

Our uprising will come soon enough. Soon, soon you will all bow to your Lalafellan masters. Bow really... really low... 'cuz we're kinda short. But you will bow!

(01-28-2015, 02:27 PM)K'nahli Wrote: As much as I hate to admit, miqo'te have a bad stigma about them when it comes to things like that and that's why I always find myself trying to have people look at it from a perspective that isn't so shallowly portrayed by those who wanted to settle for the first thing that came to most peoples' minds when they first heard the lore.

I think it's that ingrained mental concept of first impressions. They can help or mar one's perceptions of things, and a culture that clashes against our "norm" from the get go will do that. Especially if that first impression is something like "Dude, I can play a Nuhn and get ALL the ladies!"

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - McBeefâ„¢ - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 02:26 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:

Grow up.
allgivenover is more just really irritated (to the point of retiring his character) that 9/10 Miqo'te RPers take the non-traditional/city/lore-breaking route when he just wants to play with more RPers that actually RP out the traditional lore as it stands. It's less trying to 'force a certain style of RP for everyone' and more wanting SOMEONE, ANYONE to roleplay with that is outside a very small, close-knit circle.

(I haven't RPed in-game in quite some time, so I don't actually know if this is the case, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me whatsoever.)

I agree, but it's not the other RPers fault.

If people don't want to RP how he wants, perhaps he should be discussing how to foster that sort of RP, not criticize those who don't do it.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Cato - 01-28-2015

Grow up.

Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything. If people want to role-play something unusual then they're free to - that doesn't make someone an 'ass' for raising an eyebrow if they encounter a character that uses aether portals to conjure up a fleshy appendage or someone claiming to be the long lost brother of Hildibrand.

Let's not forget that this community is made up of people who come from all sorts of different backgrounds. You can't please everybody but nobody is obligated to silence either - if they want to offer constructive criticism then they're perfectly entitled to do so.

I just hope more people will take it on board or at least acknowledge that it isn't always a personal attack.