Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial relationships - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial relationships (/showthread.php?tid=9863)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Racial relationships - Recoil - 02-07-2015

That's fair! I wasn't aware of this. My knowledge is pretty limited purely from what I've seen here and experienced in-game. Thank you for the clarification!

RE: Racial relationships - Seriphyn - 02-07-2015

Oh another thread that once again descended to another Miqo'te tribal lore discussion.

RE: Racial relationships - Caspar - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 06:18 PM)Intaki Wrote: There's no evidence that tia are "cast out and left to waste away", and as has been mentioned before they don't follow either because the nunh does not lead; that really strikes me as an (understandable) bleed-through of real life cultural conditioning onto a fictional culture that is extremely far removed from any real culture or society.

There's also no information about romantic life amongst tribal Seekers. To say that tia are denied the possibility of a romantic relationship with women is to make a rather large assumption. Again, the nunh is used by the women in order to create children; his position does not grant him any authority or control over them, nor does it necessarily mean he establishes emotional bonds with them.

As for the women themselves, in almost every example of a single gender being concentrated into a single area homoerotic behavior inevitably arises. And given not only SE's stance on the matter, but also the dialogue of a certain Seeker npc, I think it's safe to say that homosexuality is a present and accepted practice in most Seeker tribes.
I could see such a person either not aspiring to be Nunh or fulfilling his duty begrudgingly as a Nunh, but not necessarily be ostracized.

RE: Racial relationships - V'aleera - 02-07-2015

(02-07-2015, 08:21 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Oh another thread that once again descended to another Miqo'te tribal lore discussion.
If you believe a post has been made in error and off-topic from the subject of the thread you may click the rightmost button at the bottom of the post to report it to the forum moderators.

RE: Racial relationships - Recoil - 02-08-2015

(02-07-2015, 08:21 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Oh another thread that once again descended to another Miqo'te tribal lore discussion.

I'm not all too sure what you're trying to imply with this statement.

Don't miquote fall under the umbrella subject of racial discussion?

RE: Racial relationships - Kellach Woods - 02-09-2015

(02-08-2015, 01:06 AM)Fuzz Wrote:

That inevitably, any thread speaking of Eorzean races will be all about the catbois/gals, more specifically, the tribal part of it.

RE: Racial relationships - Gegenji - 02-09-2015

(02-08-2015, 01:06 AM)Fuzz Wrote:

At least there was a brief stop in the land of Lalalove?

Though, I'm kinda curious if any of the other races have some sort of cultural thing they do with their significant other - or even just on dates as a way to figure out if it's gonna work out between them. Like, just as a random example, let's say Roegadyns spend the first date arm-wrestling to ensure they have a strong potential SO. Maybe there's some customary thing that Hyurs do as well (likely Highlanders more than Mids mostly since Mids are the generic-brand generic race, but who knows!).

Are there hintings of this in the lore at all, or is it left basically vague enough that players don't really have to worry about such things? And if they do, do you think the races would still try to follow the same procedure with those of other races? Would a Roegal arm-wrestle that cute Highlander to make sure he's strong enough?

RE: Racial relationships - SicketySix - 02-09-2015

I'm thinking its more because it's a culture that we don't fully understand.
They are more tribal, and with a sense of duty to their tribe that, much like real life, humans do not really relate with.

Where-as Miqo'te have set guidelines in who can, and cannot mate, Most humans just "stick whatever they please and move on.

RE: Racial relationships - K'nahli - 02-09-2015

I'm a little jarred by the notion that nunh's are SO busy with procreation that they don't have time for anything else, even if they were trying to compete with modern-day China *amused*

...unless people are assuming that the pregnancy period in Seeker's is exceptionally shorter to humans, which we have no reason to believe is the case.

As for the discussion about whether or not challenges happen 'that' frequently, I kind of imagine that tias would generally have the same respect for nunh's that females would. After all, they have proven themselves and strength is one of those seemingly, near-universally, respected traits among the tribal kin.

I have difficulty imagining a scenario like:

"Look, I know you beat me last week... but I really think that these past seven days have really made you significantly weaker and I deserve the position more than you now. So let's do this"

RE: Racial relationships - Dasair - 02-09-2015

(02-09-2015, 09:12 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Though, I'm kinda curious if any of the other races have some sort of cultural thing they do with their significant other - or even just on dates as a way to figure out if it's gonna work out between them. Like, just as a random example, let's say Roegadyns spend the first date arm-wrestling to ensure they have a strong potential SO. Maybe there's some customary thing that Hyurs do as well (likely Highlanders more than Mids mostly since Mids are the generic-brand generic race, but who knows!).

Are there hintings of this in the lore at all, or is it left basically vague enough that players don't really have to worry about such things? And if they do, do you think the races would still try to follow the same procedure with those of other races? Would a Roegal arm-wrestle that cute Highlander to make sure he's strong enough?

I have a headcanon that, Duskwights, being able to hear so incredibly well, have sound replacing sight as their 'primary sense'. That said, a lot of their lives are dominated by it the way ours is often dominated by visuals, and this includes what they consider 'attractive' insofar as relationship material.

Thus, they might find interest in someone that has a nice sounding voice, over anyone that necessarily 'looks pretty'. They may be drawn to those who can sing well, who speak well, who aren't loud, and don't have terribly obnoxious laughs, odd breathing habits, or snore. I like to imagine loud snoring might be a terrible turn off. Maybe they like the rhythm to the way someone walks when they can hear them moving along the stones, maybe they find rhythm in speech to be particularly pleasing. They also might find some interest in ears more than other races, similar to how people can be drawn to 'pretty eyes'.

There is absolutely no actual lore about this that I've found, but I just find it interesting what shifting one's primary sense from sight to sound might actually do to what a culture could find appealing.

RE: Racial relationships - Gegenji - 02-09-2015

(02-09-2015, 02:01 PM)Dasair Wrote: There is absolutely no actual lore about this that I've found, but I just find it interesting what shifting one's primary sense from sight to sound might actually do to what a culture could find appealing.

That's actually a really neat way to look at it, I like it! Laugh

RE: Racial relationships - Zyrusticae - 02-09-2015

By the same token, you could point out that Miqo'te are supposed to have a stronger, more catlike sense of smell, and as such they would likely have more emphasis placed on smells, particularly for tracking and hunting prey, than humans would. While humans may be predisposed to telling people they "look good" as a standard compliment, Miqo'te would be far more predisposed to telling people they "smell good". No special scented soaps or perfumes required (in fact, I would venture a guess that Miqo'te would really not enjoy those things even in small amounts because they'd overpower their sense of smell).

Funny thing, that Miqo'te running around Mor Dhona looking for her carbuncle likes to sniff around. Makes sense, really. If you have a strong sense of smell, why not use it?

RE: Racial relationships - TheLastCandle - 02-09-2015

(02-09-2015, 02:01 PM)Dasair Wrote: I have a headcanon that, Duskwights, being able to hear so incredibly well, have sound replacing sight as their 'primary sense'. That said, a lot of their lives are dominated by it the way ours is often dominated by visuals, and this includes what they consider 'attractive' insofar as relationship material.

Thus, they might find interest in someone that has a nice sounding voice, over anyone that necessarily 'looks pretty'. They may be drawn to those who can sing well, who speak well, who aren't loud, and don't have terribly obnoxious laughs, odd breathing habits, or snore. I like to imagine loud snoring might be a terrible turn off. Maybe they like the rhythm to the way someone walks when they can hear them moving along the stones, maybe they find rhythm in speech to be particularly pleasing. They also might find some interest in ears more than other races, similar to how people can be drawn to 'pretty eyes'.

There is absolutely no actual lore about this that I've found, but I just find it interesting what shifting one's primary sense from sight to sound might actually do to what a culture could find appealing.

In my headcanon, this is true of both Wildwoods and Duskwights. After all, they are the Elezen's most prominent feature. (INB4 "LOL BUT GIRAFFE NECKS.") It stands to reason that certain shapes and sizes might be more or less attractive to certain members of the race. That's my thought, anyway.

Also, am I mistaken or was there a lore tidbit somewhere that suggested a sort of 'code language' among the Duskwights involving taps on the cavern walls, the echoes of which would reach their fellow cave-dwelling brethren? If not, chalk that up to another headcanon for me. Tonberry

RE: Racial relationships - Dasair - 02-09-2015

Thanks, Gegenji. uvu

(02-09-2015, 02:39 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: In my headcanon, this is true of both Wildwoods and Duskwights. After all, they are the Elezen's most prominent feature. (INB4 "LOL BUT GIRAFFE NECKS.") It stands to reason that certain shapes and sizes might be more or less attractive to certain members of the race. That's my thought, anyway.

Also, am I mistaken or was there a lore tidbit somewhere that suggested a sort of 'code language' among the Duskwights involving taps on the cavern walls, the echoes of which would reach their fellow cave-dwelling brethren? If not, chalk that up to another headcanon for me. Tonberry

Yesss. I like this! I can totally get on board with this too. I appreciate that you can actually give them different ear shapes and sizes, and furthermore, if you really pay attention to them, ears are freakin weird. Like. Everyone's ears are different, so I can definitely see this being a thing insofar as attraction is concerned.

As for the code language, I wouldn't doubt it. That certainly aligns with my own headcanons quite well; I figure that Duskwights could probably pick up on a LOT of cave sounds because of them bouncing off walls, insomuch as they don't even really need to see so much in caves as long as they can hear them. I also imagine that homes themselves (especially in caves) of Duskwights are designed specifically with acoustics in mind, to reflect how nicely sound reverberates through the dwelling, as opposed to how nice a home looks. Of course function is a factor, but sound traveling through a place nicely, I think, also has a huge impact on 'home design'. Thus, you might get a lot of strange, almost operahouse-esque kind of rounded things, or those somewhat like theatres, where a lot of rooms are rounded and shaped oddly in comparison to.. basically all other dwellings.

In addition to cave code, I like to imagine that, above ground, Duskwights might have a sound range that surpasses other races in hearing. Somewhat like dog whistles, I figure that there are sounds they can hear that most others can't, which helps groups of them communicate and organize on the surface, without others necessarily hearing the calls. Likewise, they might be terribly aggrivated by something no one else can hear, which may or may not be terribly amusing in some scenarios.

That said, on the flip side, I also figure that their hearing is yet another reason why they don't like the surface too much. I like to imagine they all talk to each other in something more like whispers; a normal talking voice to us would be like a shout to them. (Granted, this only makes them more shady to the unknowing surface dweller; why is that group of Duskwights over there is huddled around whispering? What are they planning?)

To a Duskwight, everything above ground to them is likely terribly loud and strange sounding, and people talk to each other via the equivalence of screaming. It's likely very disconcerting. Nevermind cities. Those must be absolute hell, considering all the people, all the noise, how is anyone supposed to get anywhere without being deafened or at least without a severe migrane? How do people even live like that? Thus they avoid the crap out of them (most of the time) which accounts for that little lore tidbit of them just not liking cities at all.

Hi, this is all a little bit of a tangent infosar as relationships are concerned, but I have way too many sound related headcanons for Duskwights. *lays down*

(02-09-2015, 02:26 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: By the same token, you could point out that Miqo'te are supposed to have a stronger, more catlike sense of smell, and as such they would likely have more emphasis placed on smells, particularly for tracking and hunting prey, than humans would. While humans may be predisposed to telling people they "look good" as a standard compliment, Miqo'te would be far more predisposed to telling people they "smell good". No special scented soaps or perfumes required (in fact, I would venture a guess that Miqo'te would really not enjoy those things even in small amounts because they'd overpower their sense of smell).

Funny thing, that Miqo'te running around Mor Dhona looking for her carbuncle likes to sniff around. Makes sense, really. If you have a strong sense of smell, why not use it?

Yep! I'd agree with this too. I think the Miqote's strongest sense, according to lore is their sense of smell, right? So likewise, I would imagine this to play quite a role with many of them too, which opens up interesting avenues for those characters as well.

I am just totally a sucker for emphasizing the non-human or 'different from human' aspects of characters and races that aren't actually human. Because it's super neat to imagine what life must be like for them.

RE: Racial relationships - K'nahli - 02-10-2015

(02-09-2015, 02:26 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: While humans may be predisposed to telling people they "look good" as a standard compliment, Miqo'te would be far more predisposed to telling people they "smell good". No special scented soaps or perfumes required (in fact, I would venture a guess that Miqo'te would really not enjoy those things even in small amounts because they'd overpower their sense of smell).

I'm having trouble understanding this notion really. Why would smell necessarily replace sight just because it was their dominant sense? In fact, to use a possible counter-argument, in the case of tribal miqo'te who typically value strength rather highly for the sake of procreation, being able to tell that someone is physically fit by simply looking at them would seem like something of more importance(and by extension, attractive) to them than seeing some scrawny hunter/huntress who happened to have a unique and pleasant scent nonetheless.