Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! (/showthread.php?tid=10181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Zaja - 02-27-2015

I've enjoyed most already listed in this thread, from nintendo through ps2 era until I moved to pc. Some of my top picks are:

Chrono Trigger
Suikoden series
Lunar 1 & 2
Wild Arms series
7th Saga
Phantasy Star series

For pc, the usual suspects like Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, NWN, Dragon Age, Fallout...

Way too many over the years lol

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Lyriell - 02-27-2015

Xenosaga - Mostly because of the awesome soundtrack.

Secret of Mana - Pretty straightforward story but awesome gameplay and music.

Secret of Evermore - One of the first RPG's that more or less satirized its own genre.

Lufia Series - Nice story, awesome puzzles and a very nice soundtrack. I especially loved the ancient cave.

Chrono Trigger - Do I even have to say WHY this game is awesome? I literally can't find a flaw in this game.

Breath of Fire - Another very nice series. I liked the 2nd game the most.

Super Mario RPG - Not the best RPG I played but still a pretty satisfying experience.

Terranigma - Incredibly satisfying gameplay, nice soundtrack and a story that'll make a grown man cry.

Grandia - Nice soundtrack, especially the 2nd game was a very satisfying experience.

Elderscrolls Series - This series never fails to impress in the visual and audio department.

Fallout Series - A nice alternative to the usually more "colorful" RPG's. I absolutely love the setting and how it always manages to connect a nuclear dystopia with some nice classic music. If I had to choose how the world ends this would be my pick :p

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Volk - 02-27-2015

more of an adventure game than RPG, but I've been playing and enjoying the episodic Life is Strange game lately! Here is an amusing screen Big Grin

[Image: 99D61F024DFFFA61CF12425DB06D4EEC150DBED8]

And a few more:

[Image: E89D154F984BD985B908D452C54BEBC7850F86D8]

[Image: B2BAEE754E9B31F5C98292F8BBAEB322171B06BC]

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - IvikBlack - 03-04-2015

By generation, loose RPG definition (SRPG, ARPG, turn-based RPG), FF games omitted (but they would be included)!

NES - Dragon Warrior

SNES - Earthbound, Bahamut Lagoon, Ogre Battle, Lagoon, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia, Harvest Moon, Shadowrun, Terragnima, Breath of fire 1 & 2, Lufia II, 7th Saga, Super Mario RPG, Front Mission
Old PC games - Fallout 1 & 2 & Tactics, Asheron's Call

PS1 - Chrono Cross, Legend of Dragoon, Star Ocean 2, Breath of Fire 3 & 4, Wild Arms 1 & 2, Front Mission 3, Tales of Destiny, Tactics Ogre, Jade Cocoon, Vandal Hearts 2

PS2 - Rogue Galaxy, Shadow Hearts 1 & 2, Disgaea 1 & 2, Dragon Quest 8, Persona 3, Kingdom Hearts 1, Xenosaga EP 1, Tales of the Abyss, Suikoden 3, Breath of Fire V, Wild Arms 3, Radiata Stories, Grandia 3, Front Mission 4

Xbox - Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

Xbox 360 - Oblivion, Tales of Vesperia

PS3 - Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Disgaea D2, Ni No Kuni, Valkyria Chronicles

PC - Fallout 3, Fallout NV, Skyrim, Xcom EU & EW

Various platforms out of chronological order of stuff I forgot: Wild Arms XF, Monster Rancher, Dragon Egg, Freedom Wars, Persona 4 Golden, Star Ocean: The First Departure, Monster Hunter FU, Brave Fencer Musashi

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Caspar - 03-04-2015

I've been very envious of XBox users for a long time, as the 360 had the strangest tendency to attract Japanese games to it despite being somewhat of a failure in Japan and not popular amongst, well, people like myself. ^_^' A lot of shooting games by CAVE went to it, and for whatever reason Namco didn't want to translate their PS3 version of Vesperia despite it being mostly the same. I'm still a little bitter about that, as I really, really wanted to play Vesperia. I hear it was excellent, probably the best since Abyss.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - IvikBlack - 03-04-2015

Vesperia was very easy to enjoy. The plot got a little long winded, but the characters were mostly very relatable. It was the last tales of game I was able to finish.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Kage - 03-04-2015

Not to derail it a bit but I heard a rumor that the reason for Vesperia being Xbox only was that Microsoft paid Namco Bandai to make Vesperia in NA an Xbox exclusive.

Life is Strange reminds me of games like Heavy Rain and Beyond. Or some of TellTales' games (Walking Dead/Jurassic Park)