Hydaelyn Role-Players
Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid (/showthread.php?tid=527)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Asytra - 09-05-2010

Asyria Wrote:You can always just write the name without the apostrophe and when you ICly introduce yourself, you use the apostrophe. People often forget that because they have a name above their heads, introductions can be skipped.
On that note, my character is going to use two names, for two different "identities" and I expect people to RP with that in mind.

I turn off my names! Big Grin Not immersive with them on!

I'm sure I've passed a ton of you as I've ran from Limsa to Gardinia today and didn't even realize it. :o

I would turn off damage text if I could too. :\

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - foxfirestorm - 09-05-2010

Asytra Wrote:
Asyria Wrote:You can always just write the name without the apostrophe and when you ICly introduce yourself, you use the apostrophe. People often forget that because they have a name above their heads, introductions can be skipped.
On that note, my character is going to use two names, for two different "identities" and I expect people to RP with that in mind.

I turn off my names! Big Grin Not immersive with them on!

I'm sure I've passed a ton of you as I've ran from Limsa to Gardinia today and didn't even realize it. :o

I would turn off damage text if I could too. :\

That can be done in Configure actually.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Asyria - 09-05-2010

Asytra Wrote:I'm sure I've passed a ton of you as I've ran from Limsa to Gardinia today and didn't even realize it. :o

Yeah that's why I didn't turn them off though I was very tempted to. ^^;

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Pandaemonaeon - 09-07-2010

I would say all this hate talk of Besaid, is more generated at FFX itself.
It was the first Final Fantasy to not feel like it was a Final Fantasy.
And the first place you find yourself in the game is Besaid. So its the first think you remember.
Huge differance from FF9 to FFX.
Lindblum vs Besaid.
On the contrast you can see Lindblum reminding you of the last FF title that fealt good to play.

All in all it is just a Name, a name for the home of the RPC.
You wont need to remember it after you make your character. If your really ashamed of it, just tell people your on the Unofficial RP Server ;p
They will know what your talking about.
In time everyone will know of "Besaid" the RP Server.

Be-Why Be-Cause I Be-Said So.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Asyria - 09-07-2010

FF VIII didn't feel much like a FF to me either but that's because I started with the very first. Things change and it had changed too much for me to enjoy. Others can take more change and appreciate it, and other ssimply started later with the serie.
It's only a matter of letting go.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Tadir - 09-07-2010

As someone who started with ff1 on the nes as soon as it was release in the US, I liked both 8 and 10. Six is my favorite. 13 is my least, followed by 9. Yes. That's right. I don't like ff9. I thought the story was boring as hell and Zidane is one of the worst characters ever created.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Tyriont - 09-07-2010

Tadir Wrote:As someone who started with ff1 on the nes as soon as it was release in the US, I liked both 8 and 10. Six is my favorite. 13 is my least, followed by 9. Yes. That's right. I don't like ff9. I thought the story was boring as hell and Zidane is one of the worst characters ever created.

I love you.

I'm one of those who had FFVII as their first FF (had a Mega Drive (Genesis to you yank-types) instead of an NES or SNES, so no option there) but made a point to play through the older ones afterwards. I loved 8 and it holds the place of my second-favorite FF title (the first being 6). I'm with Tadir in that I didn't like 9 all that much. Zidane was obnoxious, Steiner was aggravating and Dagger/Garnet just didn't appeal to me at all. Vivi was cute and all, but...meh. I was actually quite happy upon reaching endgame when I could remove Zidane from the party completely and replace him with Amarant.

Also, Necron. WTF.

FFX wasn't that bad, although Tidus was annoying. Just not as bad as Zidane. Auron, Lulu and Khimari were all strong enough to make up for him. X was also the last one I completed - I've still not finished 12 or 13. 12 had Balthier which is a major point in its favor...but Vaan was too annoying, to the detriment of the story as a whole. 13, I just didn't really find myself caring about any character who wasn't Sazh.

Sure, in 8 the Squall/Rinoa stuff was forced at times...but I thought Irvine was awesome and any flashback involving the trio of Laguna/Kiros/Ward made me happy.

Of course, here's the opinion that's gonna get me lynched - I liked FFX-2. Yup. Bust out the torches and pitchforks. Of course, I didn't EXPECT a full fledged, "proper" Final Fantasy title. I went into it expecting it to be cheesy, over the top and filled with gratuitous fanservice. As a result, I enjoyed it. The job system in it was fun, for me.

The job system in x-2 was great. That was it. I couldn't bring myself to get past the third chapter.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Asyria - 09-07-2010

Laguna and irvine were about the only things that made FF VIII bearable to me. Tongue
But yeah... while I greatly enjoy FF IX, Zidane is a friggin supersayan and so is Kuja. Srsly. >.>

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Averis - 09-07-2010

I'm also one of the FF fans that started with VII. Up to that point I haven't really played RPGs. It was a huge revelation for me. Since then I've played every FF title (counting Cerberus, but not the phone games) and many other RPGs and now MMOs because of VII.

X was the last one I actually finished and it's the one I'll usually claim as my favorite, but I actually didn't vote in the poll.

I still have to finish XIII. Rolleyes

I've given up on 13. I will finish 12 eventually, but 13...no.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - BloodHecate - 09-08-2010

I'm a more classic Final Fantasy fan myself, I must admit. And prefer the far more high fantasy and steampunk influenced Final Fantasy games than the science fiction ones. To me, Fantasy is where Final Fantasy gets it's real charm. I don't dislike the other, more futuristic Final Fantasy games, like Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, and so forth. But I'm glad . And I like representing my better memories. I love being able to represent how I love places and being able to say I was from a place like Mysidia, that has some of the strongest positive memories for me, would be amazing. Also, it wouldn't bother me so much if Final Fantasy XIV was a game with a setting more like Final Fantasy XIII, but it's clearly more along the line of the classical vein. So it just doesn't seem fitting to pull something from the other type of Final Fantasy in a world that greatly resembles classic Final Fantasy backdrops and surroundings, and Ivalice.

The Besaid thing isn't bothering me as much now, mostly because I haven't been thinking about it as much, and of course because it's be several days since I first discovered the news. It's a lot easier for me to think about it if I envision Besaid as some pirate ship beside the port of Limsa-Lominsa. And no some horrible situation where someone is like "so, you like Besaid and Final Fantasy X, I just though Final Fantasy X was great and Yuna is so pretty and blahblahblahblah". Ugh, I brought the cringeworthy thoughts back. My mind is in pain now, the cringe, oh the painful cringe, I'm going to force myself to go back to thoughts of Faris on a Pirate Ship and the Prima Vista.

Interestingly, we got back on this topic all over again.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Lunaticked - 09-08-2010

Tyriont Wrote:
Tadir Wrote:As someone who started with ff1 on the nes as soon as it was release in the US, I liked both 8 and 10. Six is my favorite. 13 is my least, followed by 9. Yes. That's right. I don't like ff9. I thought the story was boring as hell and Zidane is one of the worst characters ever created.

I love you.

I'm one of those who had FFVII as their first FF (had a Mega Drive (Genesis to you yank-types) instead of an NES or SNES, so no option there) but made a point to play through the older ones afterwards. I loved 8 and it holds the place of my second-favorite FF title (the first being 6). I'm with Tadir in that I didn't like 9 all that much. Zidane was obnoxious, Steiner was aggravating and Dagger/Garnet just didn't appeal to me at all. Vivi was cute and all, but...meh. I was actually quite happy upon reaching endgame when I could remove Zidane from the party completely and replace him with Amarant.

Also, Necron. WTF.

Of course, here's the opinion that's gonna get me lynched - I liked FFX-2. Yup. Bust out the torches and pitchforks. Of course, I didn't EXPECT a full fledged, "proper" Final Fantasy title. I went into it expecting it to be cheesy, over the top and filled with gratuitous fanservice. As a result, I enjoyed it. The job system in it was fun, for me.

With both of yas. IX was what really stabbed the knife into the heart of the series for me. I was an unabashed Square fangirl up to that point and IX killed that. I grew more wary, I'd stop buying something just because they made it. I hated IX more than I had hated any game before because I had expected to like it.

XII was also a massive disappointment because of Vaan and Penelo. People say they become less important as the game goes on...but it doesn't matter. I can't force myself to get that far. I hate Vaan far too much. Hell, playing as Recks would have been better.

Have not even touched XIII. Never plan to.

Like Tyriont, I enjoyed X-2 because I also did not go in expecting it to be serious.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - BloodHecate - 09-08-2010

Final Fantasy IX was the game that gave me the most hope for the franchise after Final Fantasy VI had ended. I couldn't stand the direction Final Fantasy took after VI, I enjoyed the games for being what they were, but it didn't feel like Final Fantasy. It was so wonderful to have a Final Fantasy game I truly liked back with IX. A game that finally felt like a Final Fantasy since their SNES days and Tactics. It was so nostalgic and perfect in so many ways, unfortunately they haven't done much of that since then. Thankfully though, the MMORPGs have gone down the path of the classic Final Fantasy. I would hope that Final Fantasy XV has more like the games behind it, like another IX, but I don't have my hopes up.

Necron was a bit of a silly idea, I must admit. But the overall game aside from aspects like that were pretty good. It was still awesome and foreboding by the time you got to Necron, and I loved how mysterious the whole endgame was, but I will admit aside from that it was easily one of the worst developed wrap-ups.

Still, it and Final Fantasy Tactics are the only two on the PlayStation that make me feel like they have something to offer to the series on par to that of the Super Nintendo. The only successful kindred spirit and continuation of the Super NES glory days.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Satisiun - 09-08-2010

BloodHecate Wrote:Final Fantasy IX was the game that gave me the most hope for the franchise after Final Fantasy VI had ended. I couldn't stand the direction Final Fantasy took after VI, I enjoyed the games for being what they were, but it didn't feel like Final Fantasy. It was so wonderful to have a Final Fantasy game I truly liked back with IX. A game that finally felt like a Final Fantasy since their SNES days and Tactics. It was so nostalgic and perfect in so many ways, unfortunately they haven't done much of that since then. Thankfully though, the MMORPGs have gone down the path of the classic Final Fantasy. I would hope that Final Fantasy XV has more like the games behind it, like another IX, but I don't have my hopes up.

Necron was a bit of a silly idea, I must admit. But the overall game aside from aspects like that were pretty good. It was still awesome and foreboding by the time you got to Necron, and I loved how mysterious the whole endgame was, but I will admit aside from that it was easily one of the worst developed wrap-ups.

Still, it and Final Fantasy Tactics are the only two on the PlayStation that make me feel like they have something to offer to the series on par to that of the Super Nintendo. The only successful kindred spirit and continuation of the Super NES glory days.

And here I thought this whole thread was going to have nothing but "Zidane is a poopie head", considering what I've seen so far. Laugh Nice to finally see someone else who considers not only Tactics, but also IX, the better of the Playstation era games in the series.

Not to mention, for all the crap that IX gets about Necron, several of the other FF games pulled the same "Bigger Bad Out Of Nowhere!" stuff. Hell, what about Chaos in the very first? Cloud of Darkness in III? Zeromous in IV? And even to a degree, Yu Yevon in X! A sudden appearance of an "lolSoRandom" isn't a new thing for the FF series.