Hydaelyn Role-Players
Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict (/showthread.php?tid=6259)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - LiadansWhisper - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 04:33 PM)Renault Delumiere Wrote: Who said the thread was derailed or needed to be removed?
I'm simply saying the issue has already been discussed and resolved, so anyone coming in and responding with points that were already made because they failed to read the thread in it's entirety is mere redundancy.

We are now "beating the dead horse."

Welcome to the internet, where people do that all the time.  Thumbsup

In all seriousness, if you think the topic is done, that's fine.  You're totally welcome to your opinion.  But it's really not okay for you to tell other people to "shut up."  If that wasn't your intention, then we're all good, but that's how your Tonberry post came across.  Sad

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Renault Delumiere - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 09:30 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 04:33 PM)Renault Delumiere Wrote: Who said the thread was derailed or needed to be removed?
I'm simply saying the issue has already been discussed and resolved, so anyone coming in and responding with points that were already made because they failed to read the thread in it's entirety is mere redundancy.

We are now "beating the dead horse."

Welcome to the internet, where people do that all the time.  Thumbsup

In all seriousness, if you think the topic is done, that's fine.  You're totally welcome to your opinion.  But it's really not okay for you to tell other people to "shut up."  If that wasn't your intention, then we're all good, but that's how your Tonberry post came across.  Sad

As you said, welcome to the internet.

This is a general statement: If you want your opinion to hold weight in a discussion, be sure to pay attention to (or in this case, read) the discussion.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - TheLastCandle - 02-01-2014

You've done a great job of playing backseat moderator and flinging your poo at a topic that people were happy to continue discussing. Thanks for your contribution to the community you just joined.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Seriphyn - 02-01-2014

Question; was the person who "arrested" your character donned up in full Flames attire? If I'm seeing that screenshot right, it's a black mage? 

My Flames LS/FC copy the NPC uniform (from the overcoats to the open shirts out in the field)...we do this to claim validity, but not authority. If they were donned up as a black mage, then your character had every power to be like "Who are you? You're not in a Flame uniform". At best, it would be a member of the Free Brigade (which the game assumes all Immortal Flames player characters are in by default), and the adventurer units in the Grand Companies probably have lesser authority than the main fighting units.

Otherwise, it looks like a part-time employment of GC membership just when it is convenient. Among my group, we roleplay membership as a full-time thing, not something to deploy when we feel like it.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - LiadansWhisper - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 10:31 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Question; was the person who "arrested" your character donned up in full Flames attire? If I'm seeing that screenshot right, it's a black mage? 

My Flames LS/FC copy the NPC uniform (from the overcoats to the open shirts out in the field)...we do this to claim validity, but not authority. If they were donned up as a black mage, then your character had every power to be like "Who are you? You're not in a Flame uniform". At best, it would be a member of the Free Brigade (which the game assumes all Immortal Flames player characters are in by default), and the adventurer units in the Grand Companies probably have lesser authority than the main fighting units.

Otherwise, it looks like a part-time employment of GC membership just when it is convenient. Among my group, we roleplay membership as a full-time thing, not something to deploy when we feel like it.

From the description the OP gave, I think she ICly knew the Flame in question.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - FreelanceWizard - 02-01-2014

All, let's stay on topic and let the discussion of dead horse beating and mod stuff drop, please. Smile If you'd like to continue it, Off Topic is over that-a-way. Smile

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Seriphyn - 02-01-2014

(02-01-2014, 10:46 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(02-01-2014, 10:31 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Question; was the person who "arrested" your character donned up in full Flames attire? If I'm seeing that screenshot right, it's a black mage? 

From the description the OP gave, I think she ICly knew the Flame in question.

Ah, I see. Still though, not aware of any black mages with a relic weapon who are full-time Flame soldiers >_> There are some thaumaturges, though, but even they are in the shirt/sarouel uniform in cutscenes.

Maybe it's nitpicky, but IMO if you want to roleplay a Grand Company soldier with authority, gotta make -some- effort to follow the lore of the game world. The Grand Companies are fully professional outfits with uniforms and regulations after all...

Or as was mentioned on another thread, even adventurers might be able to 'turn someone in' to the authorities given how much adventurers are used. Perhaps this black mage was a member of the Free Brigade, and in-universe can be said to be following those lines.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Ildur - 02-01-2014

He could also been off-duty, or his clothes be a replica and not the real thing (or their micro-canon might imply that Black Mages are much more common.) It's hard to say. Though I do agree that if your character is a member of a certain group you should try to look the part as best as possible unless you are in the process of levelling up and 'getting there' so to speak. Then you can handwave that your uniform is actually the correct one (even though in-game it doesn't look like it) and ask for OOC agreement in this.

RE: Seeking advice on dealing with conflict - Musemi - 02-02-2014

(02-01-2014, 05:43 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Yes. OOC communication is the most important thing and even if it breaks the flow of the scene it needs to be done. I don't know why some people are so afraid of OOC communication, it's so necessary to prevent drama.

Pretty much this. As RPers, we are pretty much actors. Engaging in a fair bit of improv, and a little bit of script. Only... we do have an idea of where we'd like our stories to go, and so we also play director; if something is completely ruining the outline of the script we have in our heads, we have to try and reel things in. And this can only be done OOCly. If effective OOC communication is used from the outset, that reeling in might not even have to occur.

Even in improv the actors are giving prompts, and oftentimes have to converse with each other OOC to get a feel for where they want to take the scene. And if professional actors use OOC talk, why shouldn't amateur rpers?