Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Long Road Ahead - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Long Road Ahead (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-13-2014

He looked about, heard Kink cough and considered it. He leaned in and shook his head. 

"This ain't the place for a killing. Too public. Too much attention."

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-13-2014

"I asked you to impress me." Oath's tone had gone a half-step lower.

Zhi remained silent. She waited, forgetting her drink in her sudden tension.

He stood. It was a slow and deliberate motion. He stared at her with the lone and and took a deep breath. He had measured her for the past few minutes...took in her size and posture. He knew what he would do and Kink would likely kill him but he needed to make a statement.

He moved fast, his loose fitting clothes less restrictive than his typical tunic or his Paladin gear. Ruru leaped upward, pulling his dagger fast. He needed to move quickly to make his move. He would only get one shot, if that. His body was airborne and he was on her, quickly moving the dagger to her throat. He leaned in fast breathing hard as he spoke through clenched teeth.

"You want me to impress you? How's this for impressive? I could kill you here. One slash and it'd be over. You might get a blow in but you'd be dead soon after. I came to do business not be dicked around. You want me to impress you with blood? Then we do it outside." He was afraid. Genuinely afraid. This roe was not a rookie and she was seething...he knew that. "I'm going to lower this. Then we can talk like reasonable business people. But I'm killing no one in here today."

Oath was used to reading the messages any fighter's body gave. She'd seen him tense, had watched the way his shoulders and upper body shifted, the way his head moved. She'd known he was going to come at her a split second before he moved, enough time to pull her own knife and get it pointed at him. Enough time for a draw.

He was fast, she'd grant him that. Fast enough to get half a jump on her. But she didn't move. She remained as she'd been, arms folded, looking for all the world as if he'd just laid a bad hand of cards down on the table and claimed victory.

Killing in the Highness was forbidden.

It would have been a quick, easy way to rid herself of him if he'd taken the bait. You kill someone, you die. Didn't matter who you were or who you killed: those were the house rules. Everyone enforced them. Still, he could have just started a fight. Those happened in every tavern, neutral ground or not. So long as no one died, it was tolerated. Otherwise. . .things got messy. Very messy.

His single action spoke volumes about his state of mind. But. . .his speed was good. Good enough for at least a temp post to feel him out.

"Are you finished? Sit down." Oath put every ounce of boredom she could muster into her voice. She wanted to put him in his place.

Hands were on weapons. Most of those present in the bar were staring. Even Zhi had swung around; her eyes had gone a little wide. If he looked over Oath's head, he'd be able to see her.

He'd surprised her.

Breathing heavy and still clenching his teeth, he slowly lowered his dagger. He kept his eye on her as he let himself down. Placing the dagger in his belt he didn't even look around as he took his seat across from her. He was sure he'd be killed and had instantly regretted his move. But he hoped it would work. 

"Aye....I'm done."

"It's obvious you can't be trusted to think for yourself, but I'm willin' to hire you until the next moon."

Zhi turned back around, slow, as the rest of the establishment went back to minding their own business. Curiosity had been piqued, however, and it was a given there'd definitely be folk listening in.

"My name is Eidinahtynwyn. You'll call me Oath Judge. I manage the strongarms hired on with the Heavy Handers. I will put you on guard detail. How familiar are you with the docks?"

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-16-2014

He heard the words. They sank in with weight. "I'm willin' to hire you until the next moon."

His mind was racing still, his heart pounding in his chest as his adrenaline was coursing. He had taken a risky chance threatening the woman and yet......it had given him a thrill. To lash out in such a way. He'd always managed to restrain himself, to try and supress the urge to behave as he'd done. And yet this time he'd acted. And he enjoyed it.

He realized she'd asked him a question about the docks and he nodded to her, slowly, trying to maintain focus and control his excitement.

"Know the docks fair enough."

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-24-2014

The runt was not green enough to show weakness just yet. That was fine; Oath had outlasted any number of arrogant recruits. There were enough gangs with loose, decentralized organizational structures to snap up the sorts whose idea of proper behavior was wild bloodymindedness, and those were the same sorts whose members on the lowest rungs tended to wind up dead. The structure kept authorities guessing, but it was messy, like a garden gone feral.

Oath was very particular about her weeding.

"What name do you claim?"

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-24-2014

He cocked his head a bit, a slightly confused look crossing his face. Hadn't he given his name to her? Did she mean his other name, as she had with "Oath Judge"? Or maybe she meant....Tabart.

"I'm not sure what you mean..."

He wanted to be certain before saying more.

"Your name."

The big woman talked like she was speaking to the town idiot. Zhi winced to hear it.

He laughed a bit, quietly as if in on a joke that only he knew and then looked at her with a smirk.

"It's Vivikuso. I'm certain I gave it to you already, but yeah...it's the name I claim."

"This is what you claim?" There was a sense of formality to her words, a rhythm that bespoke repetition.

He nodded, a firm and serious look upon his face, his eye fized upon her.

"Aye."

Oath immediately started giving directions, her words rapidfire and brusque. He was to report to a small warehouse near the docks later that evening, where he would receive his assigned beat. The following morning he would report for his first evaluation (she didn't quite use the word "training," but it was heavily implied). What followed would depend on them.

She was staring through him when she said that last.

There was no reassurances in her, no kindness.

"Do you understand?"

He ticked off the instructions in his head as she stated them. He didn't want to forget...didn't want to mess anything up.

Docks....

Evaluation...another test. Always tests for him, he thought.

When she was finished, the words hanging in the air ominously, he nodded to her without saying a word.