Hydaelyn Role-Players
Black or white? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Black or white? (/showthread.php?tid=10002)

Pages: 1 2

Black or white? - Tistan - 02-06-2015

Should I level a black mage or white? I really love healing but I also love melting faces. Oh the choices.

RE: Black or white? - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:14 PM)Tistan Wrote: Should I level a black mage or white? I really love healing but I also love melting faces. Oh the choices.

Why not both?

RE: Black or white? - Kestrael - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 04:14 PM)Tistan Wrote: Should I level a black mage or white? I really love healing but I also love melting faces. Oh the choices.

Why not both?

(Gandalf) the Grey

((I'm sorry, I really have no other input than healers get all my hearts))

RE: Black or white? - Phayte - 02-06-2015

I'm partial to SCH if you wanna DPS and heal. With a fairy pet, you can let it do the bulk of the healing while you toss DoTs/DPS. When the damage gets heavy, you can focus on healing again.

It's possible to do it with WHM too, i just haven't had too much experience. That being said, group composition it's better to have 2 WHM as opposed to 2 SCH usually (because succor/adlo doesn't stack so it's wasted). Obviously ideal composition is 1 SCH and 1WHM. But I digress.

With either healer class, you can do a fair amount of DPS with cleric stance. With a BLM, you have no option but to DPS (you can heal a little, but it's abysmal since you don't have a anti-cleric stance.)

RE: Black or white? - Kage - 02-06-2015

My honest suggestion? Go healer on your character first. You will level faster, see the game faster etc. Some tips that are useful? As WHM, be careful about when you cast Regen. Don't spam Cure II. Do your level 45 Job Quests before a certain Primal trial if you don't regularly have the best and up to date gear.

And then you will get the +50% exp and your own personal experience while you level THM/BLM. Also, you will thoroughly miss your healer queues ;p

Don't feel pressured to do one or the other. Do both! On the same character!

Keep in mind that if you choose SCH over WHM for your healing, SCH's base class Arcanist (ACN) is considered DPS until level 30 when you actually get SCH. CNJ (WHM's base) is considered healer the whole time

RE: Black or white? - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

You'll want to do both eventually anyway, since you need one at 15 to get to the Job class of the other. Plus, THM gets you Swiftcast - which is the bees knees for casters of any color - and CNJ gets you the ever-handy Protect and Stoneskin.

And if you're just starting out, you really CAN level both! Level THM through the storyline quests (minus the dungeons), and use CNJ to queue for aforementioned dungeons and the basic roulettes you'll unlock. I did something similar with NIN and PLD and was able to get them both to 50 through the course of the Main Story Quest. It might be even easier for you since you'll be sharing gear between the two basically up until 50 as well.

Personally? I like Arcanist for SCH/SMN. Arcanima/Mathemagica/MAFFMAJIK all the way!

RE: Black or white? - Tistan - 02-06-2015

Is it too late to change my beginning class? Or do I need to wait till another maintenance to get another alt on balmung?

RE: Black or white? - Faye - 02-06-2015

It don't matter if you're black or white.

I'msorryIhadto

RE: Black or white? - Desu Nee - 02-06-2015

You can transfeeeer

RE: Black or white? - Desu Nee - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:31 PM)Faye Wrote: It don't matter if you're black or white.

I'msorryIhadto
We have to give everything, even if that means our lives. We will stop at..... Garrus Vakarian[edit]. Just like old times, ... It's so much easier to see the world in black and white. Gray? I don't know what to do with gray

- Vakarian, Garrus

RE: Black or white? - Gegenji - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:28 PM)Tistan Wrote: Is it too late to change my beginning class? Or do I need to wait till another maintenance to get another alt on balmung?

Don't worry about making a new character! Just stick with the one you picked until you open up travel between the cities. Then, go talk to the quest-giver person for the OTHER class and BAM! You have both. Heck, my main character on Zalera has EVERYTHING unlocked (and decently leveled to boot), and I know tons of other people do that too.

Which one you're using at the start really won't matter until around level 15 anyway, when you unlock your first dungeon. Until then, it's mashing the basic attack button on critters and doing quests regardless of what class you picked.

RE: Black or white? - Aris - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:28 PM)Tistan Wrote: Is it too late to change my beginning class? Or do I need to wait till another maintenance to get another alt on balmung?

Nope, you can level up all the classes once you hit level 10! Just talk to the appropriate Guild receptionist (Conjurer in Gridania, THM in Ul'Dah) to begin the quest. You'll be able to travel between City States at level 15.

You can swap between classes by changing your weapon. Each class starts at 0 and they have to be leveled up individually.

RE: Black or white? - Tistan - 02-06-2015

Oh ok. Thanks for the help!

RE: Black or white? - Nebbs - 02-06-2015

First do you like to tank, heal or dps?

Tank - Marauder feels like a DPS tank or Gladiator feels like a tanky tank

Heals - go conjurer, they get to heal from the start

DPS - go Arcanist and then you can double up Summoner/Scholar to DPS/Heal

DPS only - go back and pick another, unless you want to queue lots

RE: Black or white? - Phayte - 02-06-2015

(02-06-2015, 04:36 PM)Nebbs Wrote: First do you like to tank, heal or dps?

Tank - Marauder feels like a DPS tank or Gladiator feels like a tanky tank

Heals - go conjurer, they get to heal from the start

DPS - go Arcanist and then you can double up Summoner/Scholar to DPS/Heal

DPS only - go back and pick another, unless you want to queue lots

Oh that's a good point about arcanist. When you level up to 30 and go SCH or SMN, you essentially level the other for free (since level is based on arcanist, somewhat hard to explain). But as other have said, you don't need to create a new character if you've already created one. The only thing is you need to reach level 10 on your first class before you can pick up other ones. Good luck in game!