Hydaelyn Role-Players
Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! (/showthread.php?tid=10181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Caspar - 02-18-2015

Truthfully, I'm not the biggest FF fan. (What am I doing here then?!) I was actually really surprised I liked FFXIV as much as I do. The last game in the series I completed was 9, while I never played any others past that point except 12, and that only barely, largely due to my love of the setting and design team. I realized the other day during a ls discussion that I could make a topic about this. We all remember how square had huge success during the Ps1 era, but there were many other long running rpg series back then that weren't as lucky to survive two or three more generations of consoles. What are some RPG series that you used to love and miss today, or continue to play today if they did in fact endure? In my heart, I will always be a Suikoden fan above all else...

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Gegenji - 02-18-2015

One of my personal favorite RPG series was Breath of Fire, actually. BoF3 and 4 were personal favorites and Dragon Quarter was... unique, if nothing else. It was an interesting attempt to try something new. Music was always on point, too.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Edda - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 06:11 PM)Caspar Wrote: In my heart, I will always be a Suikoden fan above all else...
FUCK YES! Suikoden is my greatest love of all time, I love it enough I even made a Tumblr for it (that's a big deal for me okay?). Games are amazing, but seriously EFF KONAMI for dropping this series harder than a lalafell getting punched off of Titan's platform.

I Heart Suikoden 4EVER.

Fire Emblem is pretty cool too.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Caspar - 02-18-2015

Alph lyla sound team does really unique compositions. You can almost tell its a capcom game from that era just listening to the music. It's that Street Fighter/Rockman sound!

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Tynos Riller - 02-18-2015

I know its another Square, But I had a love for Last Remnant that combat system was just perfect for me.. And I still believe Kotor was the best rpg of all time.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Kage - 02-18-2015

I'm a nostalgic fan.

Earthbound
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Seiken Densetsu
Others like Breath of Fire and Suikoden.
And Fire Emblem

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Caspar - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 06:23 PM)Tynos Riller Wrote: I know its another Square, But I had a love for Last Remnant that combat system was just perfect for me.. And I still believe Kotor was the best rpg of all time.
Square is fine. I loved Vagrant Story. Big Grin but they abandoned that somewhat. And yeah, Suikoden dying just as it made a comeback left a big hole in my heart.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Sounsyy - 02-18-2015

SUIKODEN!
Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Xenosaga
Star Ocean

Next two aren't old console RPGs but I have completely fallen in LOVE with both of these games recently:
Child of Light
Life Is Strange

I'm still a pretty huge Final Fantasy fan though, despite the ups and downs. Was pretty much my childhood.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - T'shina - 02-18-2015

Legends of Dragoon

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Lalato - 02-18-2015

Lost odessey was a pretty damn good game. Awesome story, many feels and a great combat system.
I think it was written by the creator of the FF series too, definitely worth a look.

Other than that, persona 3&4 are among my favorites but I have a special love for a certain action RPG called Nier which was published by square, developed by the now dead Cavia. It's actually a contender for my favorite game of all time but apparently it was underrated due to gameplay and never really got much attention. Sad

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Kage - 02-18-2015

Ohhh Sounsyy reminded me of the original Star Ocean.

Which reminds me of Tales of Phantasia and other Tales Games.

As well as Bahamut Lagoon.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Enla - 02-18-2015

Do western RPG's also count? If so in no particularly order...

-Baldur's Gate 2, even though I came to the scene a lot later than most it's grown on me immensely over the past few years and I adore the modding community that's built up around the entire game.
-Dragon Age - The Entire Series. Pretty much any Bioware RPG is going to make it's way onto my list at some point, but this is one of my consistent favorites.
-Neverwinter Nights - Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide specifically. The main campaign for the base game was... Terrible, I'm not going to lie. I hated every moment of it and only completed the story out of a need to see what the fuss was about. The expansions however saved my opinion of the entire franchise, to the point where I still go back and play HotU on a fairly annual basis. Neverwinter Nights 2 however, did not impress me in the least and I know people are going to hate me for that opinion. I wanted to like the game, I truly did. However the portions of the game where entire swaths of content were cut to meet the deadline are just too apparent for me, and I never got the appeal of Bishop as he was in the released version. KoTOR 2 was much the same. Flashes of brilliance marred by entire missing chapters worth of content.
-KoTOR, because Revan is a bamf and it had one of the best 'twists' in gaming I've ever seen on top of a solid story and combat system. KoTOR 2 -would- have taken it's place had it not been rushed to meet a deadline, as I much more enjoyed it's characters and where the story was heading before it nose dove into the proverbial cliff thanks to cut backs.
-Suikoden 3. I still need to play the first two games and I lost interest shortly after this one, but I still have extremely fond memories of playing this game. Even though I goofed REALLY bad during the final fights towards the end and sent my teleporter into a fight and thus rendered myself having to traverse all the maps on foot to get the final recruits finished. FUN TIMES. <- Is an idiot.
-Fire Emblem, though I only started with Awakening.
-Chrono Trigger, DAT MUSIC.
-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. This game came out in a very rough patch of my life, and was one of the few things that made me look forward to each day. It's aged like curdled milk, but every once in awhile I'll track down the old modding sites and re-install my old favorites for a run.
-Persona 3, handheld. While I dislike that the cutscenes were dropped for still images this game was my first introduction into the Persona world and thus has a very specific place in my heart. I'm still desperately wishing for another female lead protagonist that changes up the gameplay as well though... Loved the Protagonist in 4 and the entire game as well, but I liked that in the handheld version switching genders actually gave you an entirely new experience with a lot of the Social Links and story.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - cuideag - 02-18-2015

I still hold that Super Mario RPG is the most fun RPG ever made. Don't give me none of that Paper Mario garbage because I will fight you.
Show Content

... that said, Breath of Fire 3 really stuck with me through the years. Xenogears was wonky but I absolutely loved it to bits. Persona 3 and 4 are rad even if the student sim bits can be a little ehh.

Does Journey or ICO count as RPGs? Because yeah, hands down the best ones.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Bopdoot - 02-18-2015

Baldur's Gate all day, Neverwinter Nights, any Bioware game it seems XD (Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Dragon Age)

Fallout 1, 2 (more than 1), and New Vegas (Fallout3 was..meh >.>)

Even though it's a a shitty game, I always have a lot of fun with VTMB.  Must be that nostalgicness.

As for a JRPGs.. I really dislike them for the most part and FFXIV is the only FF game I've really enjoyed.  I did like Ni No Kuni however. That was such a charming game!

At least these are the ones off the toppa my head.

RE: Rpg other than Final Fantasy you like! - Erik Mynhier - 02-18-2015

FF is my god. That said, Fire Emblem, Elder Scroll, Breath of Fire, Dragon Warrior, and of course the Ogre Series.