Hydaelyn Role-Players
Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? (/showthread.php?tid=10193)

Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - TheFanciestBard - 02-19-2015

So awhile ago I was approached by someone asking me about Keeper related business as well as some naming conventions and something occurred to me.

As we all know Miqo'te are not native to Eorzea. From what I've read they came to the land during an ice age where the tundras formed paths for them to follow game. The keepers obviously ended up in the shroud, but that's mostly irrelevant.

What is relevant is what we see of Doma. Between Yugiri being the leader of the refugees of Doma as well as there being shinobi of both genders I believe it's safe to say there isn't much gender discrimination within the land. Naturally this could have just been out of necessity but it means that a splinter society shifting to either gender dominating, culturally, isn't terribly farfetched. After all, whatever works, right?

It's also obvious that Doma is based on Japanese lore. The furniture purchasable from that area all has Eastern flare and the job of choice of the land is the Ninja. This is quite important as it supports what my recent realization was, (I don't play miqo'te much so I never noticed until now.)

Lore wise, many Keeper names are very Japanese sounding. Some examples off the wiki such as Okhi Nbolo and Gota Jaab, as well as my own character's name, Miah Akhabila, have a rather distinct Japanese feel to them.

It's also stated that some Keeper family names are practically ancient, dating back to the first astral era, which means the names are relics of where they originate from.

So what do you think folks? I do believe somewhere in the lore it states that the miqo'te split up upon arriving to Eorzea to form the two clans which means Miqo'te, not just the keepers of the moon, could potentially trace back to Doma lorewise. Given that Yugiri uses miqo'te animations doesn't hurt my hunch either, but that's probably just a bandaid kinda fix because of Yugiri being the only Au Ra in the game atm.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Berrod Armstrong - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 09:00 AM)Tasa Rhyzul Wrote: So awhile ago I was approached by someone asking me about Keeper related business as well as some naming conventions and something occurred to me.

As we all know Miqo'te are not native to Eorzea. From what I've read they came to the land during an ice age where the tundras formed paths for them to follow game. The keepers obviously ended up in the shroud, but that's mostly irrelevant.

What is relevant is what we see of Doma. Between Yugiri being the leader of the refugees of Doma as well as there being shinobi of both genders I believe it's safe to say there isn't much gender discrimination within the land. Naturally this could have just been out of necessity but it means that a splinter society shifting to either gender dominating, culturally, isn't terribly farfetched. After all, whatever works, right?

It's also obvious that Doma is based on Japanese lore. The furniture purchasable from that area all has Eastern flare and the job of choice of the land is the Ninja. This is quite important as it supports what my recent realization was, (I don't play miqo'te much so I never noticed until now.)

Lore wise, many Keeper names are very Japanese sounding. Some examples off the wiki such as Okhi Nbolo and Gota Jaab, as well as my own character's name, Miah Akhabila, have a rather distinct Japanese feel to them.

It's also stated that some Keeper family names are practically ancient, dating back to the first astral era, which means the names are relics of where they originate from.

So what do you think folks? I do believe somewhere in the lore it states that the miqo'te split up upon arriving to Eorzea to form the two clans which means Miqo'te, not just the keepers of the moon, could potentially trace back to Doma lorewise. Given that Yugiri uses miqo'te animations doesn't hurt my hunch either, but that's probably just a bandaid kinda fix because of Yugiri being the only Au Ra in the game atm.
I dunno, those Keeper names sound more African than Japanese to me...

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Khoure - 02-19-2015

Likewise, I don't quite see the name comparison, but it would be interesting if both tailed races had similar origins. Even though the whole scales and horns seems far removed from cat ears/tail, all the races are much much more human resembling than anything else, so I can kind of see miqo'tes and Au Ra splitting off from the same tailed ancestor.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - SessionZero - 02-19-2015

There's also the fact that we haven't seen ANY Miqo'te at all among the Domans. It's Yugiri and then a bunch of Hyur. I can't imagine, if Miqo'te originated in Doma, that ALL of them left Doma to migrate to Eorzea. There would still have to be even a minority population, and at least a few should have survived the Garlean razing of Doma.

But the whole thing is speculation anyway, so, *shrug*.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Kismet - 02-19-2015

Keeper names don't really come off as Japanese-esque to me. I can maybe see how one might consider such, but... Keeper and Seeker Miqo'te names we've seen given to NPCs (or that have been spewed from the in-game name gen) seem closer to the Bengali language to me. Either that or, as Berrod said, possibly an African language.

I can't say much on the migration bit as I think we know too little to make any solid guesses, honestly. But Zero makes a good point about how we have ONLY seen Hyur Domans plus Yugiri thus far.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Seriphyn - 02-19-2015

Miqo'te came from the western continent or 'the west'.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Jana - 02-19-2015

On the topic of names, I did some research into Keeper surnames when making my character back in 2.0 beta, and a lot of them seem to have linguistic origins in north Africa, spread around different languages; Egyptian was the easiest to identify but there were a few NPC surnames that seemed middle-eastern. I'm not an actual linguist though, it's just what I thought was the most accurate language to make my character's name in.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Aysun - 02-19-2015

While I'm not sure what western continent someone said they're from (source please?) is called if it exists any longer, ancestors of the Miqo'te arrived in Eorzea after crossing frozen seas in search of food in the 5th Umbral Era. Quite awhile ago (between 4000 and 1500 years ago)!

Yugiri used the Miqo'te animations due to her race not being implemented into the game yet. I am pretty sure that those will update as soon as they are implemented.

It's very relevant that the Keepers ended up in the Shroud, to me and hopefully to you as a player if you decide to play a Keeper. That is where your racial lore is found. Not Doma. While we don't know the racial make up of Doma today (other than 'all dead or gone' because you know, Doma's obliterated), black hair and dark eyed Hyurs seem to be the staple judging by the refugees.

And there is a lot of gender discrimination in Keeper society, just not against females as you are used to in the real world. The males are so undervalued that they don't even get their own names and are NUMBERED by birth order, for crying out loud. XD They're pretty well forced out of main Keeper society, wandering, coming back to breed.

Linguistically we've seen that Domans follow a Japanese forename and English surname type style (the latter I can't confirm, but remember reading it, so it may be incorrect). They obviously have a native tongue that is Japanese, as they talk about it in the Ninja storyline. Keeper naming conventions don't remotely resemble that either. I would agree with the others in saying they are more African or Middle Eastern in nature.

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Azureus Scipio - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 06:17 PM)Aysun Wrote: While I'm not sure what western continent someone said they're from (source please?) is called if it exists any longer, ancestors of the Miqo'te arrived in Eorzea after crossing frozen seas in search of food in the 5th Umbral Era. Quite awhile ago (between 4000 and 1500 years ago)!

Yugiri used the Miqo'te animations due to her race not being implemented into the game yet. I am pretty sure that those will update as soon as they are implemented.

It's very relevant that the Keepers ended up in the Shroud, to me and hopefully to you as a player if you decide to play a Keeper. That is where your racial lore is found. Not Doma. While we don't know the racial make up of Doma today (other than 'all dead or gone' because you know, Doma's obliterated), black hair and dark eyed Hyurs seem to be the staple judging by the refugees.

And there is a lot of gender discrimination in Keeper society, just not against females as you are used to in the real world. The males are so undervalued that they don't even get their own names and are NUMBERED by birth order, for crying out loud. XD They're pretty well forced out of main Keeper society, wandering, coming back to breed.

Linguistically we've seen that Domans follow a Japanese forename and English surname type style (the latter I can't confirm, but remember reading it, so it may be incorrect). They obviously have a native tongue that is Japanese, as they talk about it in the Ninja storyline. Keeper naming conventions don't remotely resemble that either. I would agree with the others in saying they are more African or Middle Eastern in nature.

in regards to Doman last names... I think I can explain the japanese fore and English Surname....

I know the Japanese did not always have last names they only had first names. Then they were allowed to take surnames. So my theory is like the Japanese in earleir Era's the Domans also did not have last names.. but had to take last names when the garleans went to Doma

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - TheFanciestBard - 02-20-2015

Man you all really know your stuff, I'm impressed! I probably should not try to analyze names and such when I don't really know much about linguistics or many cultures around the world. I guess in my limited experience I sorta just heard something, mentally, that sounded similar to stuff I was familiar with and made connections. I appreciate all the info though!

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Miah Polaali - 02-20-2015

Have Mario say my character's name and it sounds Italian. XD

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Knight Kat - 02-20-2015

(02-20-2015, 04:23 AM)Miah Polaali Wrote: Have Mario say my character's name and it sounds Italian. XD

"It'sa Miah, Mario!"

"Mama Miah!"

"I'ma cookin' Polaali Spaghetti!"

RE: Keepers and Doma, is there a connection? - Miah Polaali - 02-20-2015

(02-20-2015, 06:22 PM)Knight Kat Wrote:
(02-20-2015, 04:23 AM)Miah Polaali Wrote: Have Mario say my character's name and it sounds Italian. XD

"It'sa Miah, Mario!"

"Mama Miah!"

"I'ma cookin' Polaali Spaghetti!"

LMAO! Exactly!