Hydaelyn Role-Players
The insomnia thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: The insomnia thread (/showthread.php?tid=10245)

Pages: 1 2

The insomnia thread - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-22-2015

[Image: tumblr_muxth4vQ1C1shtgxbo1_500.gif]

we have a screenshot, couples, rant, bored at work, food and pet thread (along with a few other great ones i can't remember because...well 4am...) but i've yet to see an "i can't sleep yet" thread. chances are very high in suggesting i'm not the only one with this recurring issue soooo.....

here's a place for anyone and everyone that can't sleep for whatever reason to come chatter in and maybe find a kindred spirit to go do stuff with in game till mr. sandman finally decides to show up. (the old school fantasy character....not uh...the guy from punch out; though i'm sure both would help you sleep one way or another >.>; )

feel free to say why you can't sleep or just talk about what you do to help fall asleep or maybe funny things you did while being half asleep or worst times you've overslept....just sleepy things in general. :3

RE: The insomnia thread - Elysia - 02-22-2015

!!

I had to deal with insomnia a number of years ago. It began suddenly when I was preparing for my college entrance exams - I wasn't consciously feeling any anxiety, but the sleeplessness happened, and it took months for that to run its course. Saw a doctor,  then a psychiatrist, tried sleeping pills for all of two days before I realized they wouldn't work for long.

I still have nasty 'relapses' every now and then. Probability of an attack is 90% if I have a flight to catch in the morning. Dazed

The worst of this is the fact that when it happens, my body makes me wake up at the same time ANYWAY, so there have been days where I'm clocking 2? 3? hours of sleep in 48 hours. 

Remedies: ... none. I also have a terrible habit when insomnia strikes, which involves tossing and turning until hours have passed. (DON'T DO THIS, PEOPLE. GO GAME OR SOMETHING.) I've actually found that the best method is prevention, and the most effective one for me is to keep regular hours. If I stay up past, say, 2 or 3AM, the chances of me not being able to fall asleep at all are significantly higher. 

Anyway I hope you're able to get to sleep soon, Clio: D:

RE: The insomnia thread - Khoure - 02-22-2015

I don't have insomnia, but I do occasionally get super weird and thankfully short lived half-asleep, half awake dream states. Probably the worst/most interesting one: One time I woke up in the middle of the night, started to pull into a sitting position, when I saw movement behind my cabinet (it had been pulled in the middle of the room because we were going to paint the walls) There was a man with indistinct features (it was dark + dream-like state, so I didn't question it) that sharply and distinctly said "don't move or I'll shoot you".

Needless to say I froze in my half-up position, petrified for a full five or so minutes. Eventually, I whispered something along the lines of "can I sit up?" and upon not getting a response, slowly came to the realization that it had been a dream/hallucination hybrid of some kind.

(02-22-2015, 06:29 AM)Khoure Wrote: I don't have insomnia, but I do occasionally get super weird and thankfully short lived half-asleep, half awake dream states.  Probably the worst/most interesting one:  One time I woke up in the middle of the night, started to pull into a sitting position, when I saw movement behind my cabinet (it had been pulled in the middle of the room because we were going to paint the walls) There was a man with indistinct features (it was dark + dream-like state, so I didn't question it) that sharply and distinctly said "don't move or I'll shoot you".

Needless to say I froze in my half-up position, petrified for a full five or so minutes. Eventually, I whispered something along the lines of "can I sit up?" and upon not getting a response, slowly came to the realization that it had been a dream/hallucination hybrid of some kind.

This sounds a little like sleep paralysis. 

I've had a horrible Inception-esque episode in which I realized I was having a nightmare, attempted to pull myself out of it, "woke up" three times in "my room" still facing the Thing, whatever it was, before I finally woke up for real on the fourth try. 

...Sorry if I've successfully weirded everyone out. *slinks away*

RE: The insomnia thread - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 06:29 AM)Elysia Wrote: !!

I had to deal with insomnia a number of years ago. It began suddenly when I was preparing for my college entrance exams - I wasn't consciously feeling any anxiety, but the sleeplessness happened, and it took months for that to run its course. Saw a doctor,  then a psychiatrist, tried sleeping pills for all of two days before I realized they wouldn't work for long.

I still have nasty 'relapses' every now and then. Probability of an attack is 90% if I have a flight to catch in the morning. Dazed

The worst of this is the fact that when it happens, my body makes me wake up at the same time ANYWAY, so there have been days where I'm clocking 2? 3? hours of sleep in 48 hours. 

Remedies: ... none. I also have a terrible habit when insomnia strikes, which involves tossing and turning until hours have passed. (DON'T DO THIS, PEOPLE. GO GAME OR SOMETHING.) I've actually found that the best method is prevention, and the most effective one for me is to keep regular hours. If I stay up past, say, 2 or 3AM, the chances of me not being able to fall asleep at all are significantly higher. 

Anyway I hope you're able to get to sleep soon, Clio: D:

ohhh stress will do that..... *nods* i haven't been to get it treated but there was a short time i was kinda nursing the night time cold medicine to help.... >.>; it was just so much easier to get a deeper sleep that way but i've sense stopped that because i can't be passed out/dead to the world for about ten hours. xD

that's always the awful part when you wake up because you're used to it but you don't need to, then you can't get back to sleep.

i'll admit sometimes i'll get tired enough where i'll pass out in front of my desk in my chair or on the couch but that's around the middle of the day and not a good idea. trying the whole "lying in bed" thing doesn't work for me either, i just start thinking about wayy too much stuff at night. a lot of it not good. you know how your brain gets crazy when it's tired... .----.

aww thanks <3
(02-22-2015, 06:29 AM)Khoure Wrote: I don't have insomnia, but I do occasionally get super weird and thankfully short lived half-asleep, half awake dream states. Probably the worst/most interesting one: One time I woke up in the middle of the night, started to pull into a sitting position, when I saw movement behind my cabinet (it had been pulled in the middle of the room because we were going to paint the walls) There was a man with indistinct features (it was dark + dream-like state, so I didn't question it) that sharply and distinctly said "don't move or I'll shoot you".

oh jeez D: that's scary!!! when i was a kid i had a dream that i was riding a roller coaster so fast the wind whipped my arm back and broke it. it felt so real i woke up in a sitting position on my bed. kinda dumb to think about now but at the time i was so scared xD

will also admit that when i was a kid i was terrified to sleep with any part of my windows or doors open. buuuut, this was because my dad thought it would be a great idea to watch xfiles in front of me. and i was soo creeped out with that window scene i thought for reals aliens were gonna come get me xD now i sleep with the windows closed cause light is evil and there's a horrid street lamp that likes to bind me. >.>

RE: The insomnia thread - Hyakki - 02-22-2015

Its too hot, its too cold, My blanket had been stolen, my pillows have been stolen, THAT GODDAMN ROBIN WON'T SHUT UP BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 3 AND 6 AM
I hope you get eaten soon

RE: The insomnia thread - Khoure - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 06:37 AM)Elysia Wrote: This sounds a little like sleep paralysis. 

I've had a horrible Inception-esque episode in which I realized I was having a nightmare, attempted to pull myself out of it, "woke up" three times in "my room" still facing the Thing, whatever it was, before I finally woke up for real on the fourth try. 

...Sorry if I've successfully weirded everyone out. *slinks away*

I guess that's possible, assuming sleep paralysis can happen as you're partially up? Cause it wasn't like I went from that to waking up again, it was seamless, so I'd definitely gotten half up in the real world. I'll post the other more recent time it happened and maybe you can tell me if it still fits? it wasn't scary but it was weirder- like a really dumb creepypasta.

My alarm woke me up so I grabbed my phone to turn it off. Only it wouldn't unlock for some reason ("some reason" in reality was probably that half asleep people aren't good with touch screen unlocking mechanics) at that point, a person beside me said "Oh sorry, that's my fault. Hold on, I'll fix it for you." And I just kinda tried to muffle the alarm noise under my blankets as they 'tried to fix it'. Then, the alarm did pause (probably went to snooze or something), the person said something like "there, it's good." I went to unlock the phone again and was suddenly both surprised and confused that it was my phone and not "theirs". That's when I realized that the person was not actually there and hadn't been real. I just kinda kept staring stupidly at my phone for the longest time after that.

RE: The insomnia thread - Kurt S. - 02-22-2015

Insomnia....Hmm I almost always have that....because let's face it..there's an RP event and Kurt needs to be there....buuuuuuuut the catch is it's a 2am-6am my time.....welp...

*chucks sleep out the window*

I mean the insomnia is not that bad and I do feel sleepy at times but you know, no one needs to know... Hmmm maybe I won't sleep again later...maybe not..we'll see!

#justcaffeinethings

RE: The insomnia thread - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 06:48 AM)Mamushi Wrote: Its too hot, its too cold, My blanket had been stolen, my pillows have been stolen, THAT GODDAMN ROBIN WON'T SHUT UP BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 3 AND 6 AM
I hope you get eaten soon

[Image: zoeeydeschanelfailuretolaunch.gif]

(02-22-2015, 07:03 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: Insomnia....Hmm I almost always have that....because let's face it..there's an RP event and Kurt needs to be there....buuuuuuuut the catch is it's a 2am-6am my time.....welp...

I mean the insomnia is not that bad and I do feel sleepy at times but you know, no one needs to know... Hmmm maybe I won't sleep again later...maybe not..we'll see!

#justcaffeinethings

yeeah....that is a tricky one. :c

you should still try to sleep here and there when you can.....internet is great for letting all sorts of people meet and make friends but damn if those timezones aren't awful

#replacemybloodwithcaffeinepls

RE: The insomnia thread - Parvacake - 02-22-2015

My issue usually is just my head. I just can't turn off my brain sometimes. All I want to do is think, write, read, RP, grind, craft, clean, etc. while my body is like "Fuck you, go to bed".

RE: The insomnia thread - Tiergan - 02-22-2015

I've been having trouble sleeping lately because I'm in a software engineering boot camp and it is an insane amount of work. It devours 90% of my freetime and by the time I try to rest, my brain is all wound up with all the coding languages I've been frantically trying to get to stick in my brain.

Also, sometimes I dream in code now. Can't sleep. The code monsters will eat me.

(02-22-2015, 07:34 AM)Lilithium Wrote: My issue usually is just my head. I just can't turn off my brain sometimes. All I want to do is think, write, read, RP, grind, craft, clean, etc. while my body is like "Fuck you, go to bed".

I DON'T WANT to turn off my brain ever. There is so much that can be done. Supposedly clocking less than 6hs of sleep in the long run will shorten your lifespan or something but. But. Cry 

I already turn in one or even two hours later than most of my co-workers.

Quote:Insomnia....Hmm I almost always have that....because let's face it..there's an RP event and Kurt needs to be there....buuuuuuuut the catch is it's a 2am-6am my time.....welp...

Kurt, please. XD 

I am envious. I can't do this, ever, because my job demands that I be a fully-functional human being by 5.45am EVERYDAY. Same timezone, different problems...

RE: The insomnia thread - g0ne - 02-22-2015

It's the opposite for me. I get sleepy a lot. 

I get so very tired and I'm generally exhausted all the time, so sometimes I lie down and then fall asleep without noticing, then the alarm rings and I'm like ohhellnoI'mgoingtobelateforclass!!

RE: The insomnia thread - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-23-2015

welp after passing out at seven am...and getting up in the afternoonish....i'm wide awake. .------------. might just been my sleep schedule is way out of whack for one reason or another but i know what you mean lilithium; there's some nights that if i go to lie down before being passing out exhausted, my brain just won't stfu for anything. dont know if this will help you; but those times i'll play really soft music on a low volume. something that i've heard a lot so my brain won't focus too much on trying to hear what happens next but will focus enough to stap thinking of other things. my favorite to use is either .hack///sign 2nd ost or a collection of gack's slower songs (such as moon, seki rey, ect ect) because i've listened to them so much.

RE: The insomnia thread - Mitzer The Mighty - 02-23-2015

GeekNormally pretty tired as I recover from surgery. The medicine I take is not quite enough to keep me awake in the day, yet tonight I'm running on a low energy automatic. Perhaps I'm oversleeping in the day and messing up my internal clock again. I struggled with insomnia in my highschool and college years, it's so easy to slip out of routine and find too many partially interesting things to read instead of sleeping.