Hydaelyn Role-Players
Ideas and discussion about white mages - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Ideas and discussion about white mages (/showthread.php?tid=10257)

Pages: 1 2

Ideas and discussion about white mages - Crosarior - 02-22-2015

Hello guys, i haven't introduced myself here, and i know i am taking high risk. But i'm pretty sure there is people who have wanted to be white mages. And is known that white mages have been basically in seventh umbral era padjals. It's been generally known that it's really hard to become white mages in RP. And it's possible someones have been rejected because of playing white mages. But i've been wondering, if there is ways to become white mages? You and I know there you must be accepted by one specific Padjal. 
But is there any other way?

Many dreams of being white mage. ( including I) And it's important that RP will be fun. Of course it can be fun with conjurer, too.

Should we let conjurers wear white mage gear? (Minus relic weapon).

I have heard that someone have said there's (fan-made maybe?) schools who teach this forbidden art alternatively, (or maybe that way?) secretly i guess.

Should we all create together one Padjal character, who is able to teach this art? (Risk is there, i know.)

If you have any ideas about this topic, perhaps how it's possible, or what should conjurers do, tell us.

If you have not anything but say "No, no, no. End of the story". Please keep quiet. Be formal to others! Keep cursing out of here, please.
If you had bad day, please come back later.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Edvyn - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 04:08 PM)Crosarior Wrote: Should we let conjurers wear white mage gear? (Minus relic weapon).
wear whatever you want man. wear the relic weapon too if you like it. as long as you dont claim to own a relic IC i highly doubt anyone's going to chuck a fit over it.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - FreelanceWizard - 02-22-2015

<magicAdminHat>

First off, with the magic admin hat on, the mods and I will be watching this thread. Please don't let it explode as many of these have in the past.

</magicAdminHat>

With the magic admin hat off, the alternative ways to learn white magic were confirmed at the lore panel in the Las Vegas Fan Fest. Apparently, some group or groups are trying to revive the art through "nefarious means." We have no additional specifics at this time, so I would be very careful about going down that road. From that same lore panel, we also know that the Adventurer is the only one who's learned White Magic in the manner portrayed in the MSQ, which one could also interpret as the Adventurer being the only non-Padjal who's gotten to learn it since the Art was sealed.

So, where you go from there depends on how you interpret those two lore tidbits and what your opinion is on the power of the Elementals these days to control the use of Succor. Since there's wide opinions on the matter, it's a very polarizing issue. If you were to come up with a plausible way you could learn it, it does, however, make sense that you'd keep that quiet -- since the Padjali, the remaining powerful Elementals, and gods know who else have a vested interest in ensuring that the Art doesn't spread.

As for the clothing and weapons, those are easy. Just say they're replicas and be done with it. The devs have indicated that Rowena's House of Splendors has a massive business in creating replica equipment, so that gives you an easy out. The magicks themselves can be handwaved to some degree as spells that look superficially similiar to those ancient powers, but are actually something different.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Chris Ganale - 02-22-2015

Aye, excusing gear as replicas is pretty common. My ex-Flames guy has an exceptionally-crafted axe that was made to look like the Bravura, and my miqo'te (main) wears a set of armor that just looks like the wyrm set, and later went out and commissioned a replica of the Gae Bolg. His WAR set is a bit trickier, as in the WAR quests, Curious Gorge states that he wants to teach the WAR arts again, and implies that he'll eventually do that
Show Content
I play R'tahz's WAR training as though he got that training from Gorge because Gorge has started training marauders, so the WAR armor he wears is still a replica of the ancient raiments, but was given to him by Gorge.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Gone. - 02-22-2015

On the subjects of artifact gear and relic weapons: as others have said, they're all replicas, copies, etc. Anyone can own one of these so wear whatever you want!

(02-22-2015, 04:08 PM)Crosarior Wrote: You and I know there you must be accepted by one specific Padjal. 
But is there any other way?

I'm not sure where you got this from? The official website says:

Quote:Although the art subsequently became forbidden, it is now in the midst of a revival at the hands of the Padjal, chosen of the elementals.

Any Padjal can teach it, hence where I came up with how Vetiver learned white magic. ICly it's kept on the down low, of course, but other than that? The real deal.

White Mage is like any other job or class; it just requires a bit of creativity to really work it safely into your character's background.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - FloriaRaine - 02-22-2015

My main is a white mage icly and oocly. Publicly she's been training in the arts of conjury for many years, and boasts powerful healing magic and conjury, though she accepted by the padjal and elementals to learn white magic, though very few people get to learn this about her.

I've only heard about some people not liking certain jobs in rp, but for the most part, only one lore-orthodoxian took issue with her being a white mage so far.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Crosarior - 02-23-2015

Sad
I feel stuoid now for posting about a such sensitive subject..

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - FloriaRaine - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 07:46 AM)Crosarior Wrote: Sad
I feel stuoid now for posting about a such sensitive subject..

Don't feel that way, i'm pretty certain more sensitive subjects have been brought up here before.

Honestly there's lots of such and such about rping as most of the jobs available, if you're willing to flex and bend the lore slightly, it can work out, but there'll always be someone who disagrees/doesn't like it, but don't let it get to you, they're the one's missing out on a potential long term rp partner.

So far, within the lore padjal are the only ones who can use white magic, but they can teach it to others, there's also the lambs of dalamund who seek to revive it themselves through ampador keep, possibly looking for soul stones, ancient texts and whatever else might provide them with the knowledge.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Aldotsk - 02-23-2015

Well while people may look down upon white mages being in the RP, if someone has a good way to back it up - I am all for ears. I can't say, but my alt is currently a white mage Keeper of the Moon (extremely pale) - since she has been sealed away in Lost City of Amdapor sleeping for a very long time, sealed away by her colleagues long time ago to survive from the Amdapor destruction caused by her own friends and fellow white mages.

She woke up, and was rescued by Anelia and other group of folks to take her in and have her recovered. 

Also it depends on how abusive white mages can get by using Holy or Benediction xD. But you should go for whichever class you want to aim for.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Crosarior - 02-23-2015

I wonder....because i haven't played very far this game, what is criteria being chosed to worth teached to be white mage and get soul crystal?

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - FreelanceWizard - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 09:48 AM)Crosarior Wrote: I wonder....because i haven't played very far this game, what is criteria being chosed to worth teached to be white mage and get soul crystal?

In the actual quest where it happens, the Adventurer's service to the Conjurers' guild has them sent to look after two Padjal who need to perform a ceremony to assuage the ire of a powerful Elemental. In the course of that initial job quest, the spirit of a long dead Padjal chooses the Adventurer as a new White Mage and becomes the Soul Crystal that they bear. This causes considerable consternation for one of the two Padjal, though she does eventually (over the course of the quest line) warm up to the idea of a non-Padjal wielding Succor.

My read of that quest line, combined with the lore panel information, is that the Padjali in general remain committed to the idea that no non-Padjal should ever have access to such powers. However, some are slowly coming around to the idea that worthy individuals might be permitted access to the Art, given the extenuating circumstances in which Gridania finds herself. These Padjal are in the minority, however.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Kage - 02-23-2015

To be honest, the white mage questline made me feel as if the Padjal were all reluctant but eventually willing to accept the "YOU" Adventurer as a WHM out of necessity.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - SessionZero - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 08:42 AM)Aldotsk Wrote: Well while people may look down upon white mages being in the RP, if someone has a good way to back it up - I am all for ears. I can't say, but my alt is currently a white mage Keeper of the Moon (extremely pale) - since she has been sealed away in Lost City of Amdapor sleeping for a very long time, sealed away by her colleagues long time ago to survive from the Amdapor destruction caused by her own friends and fellow white mages.

She woke up, and was rescued by Anelia and other group of folks to take her in and have her recovered. 

Also it depends on how abusive white mages can get by using Holy or Benediction xD. But you should go for whichever class you want to aim for.

That's actually a really cool idea, and a great way to explain a non-Padjal being a White Mage. Kudos for creativity.

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Gegenji - 02-23-2015

This sets me to wondering: how many padjal are there presently? I can only think of four: The three siblings headed by Kan-E-Senna, the Gridanian leader, and the leader of the Conjurer's Guild E-Sumi-Yan. Heck, I almost forgot that E-Sumi was one too until I quickly checked a wiki on it.

Are there more floating around that I've missed? Because if these are the only four, then two of them being willing to pass on the secrets of Succor to the Main Character is a 50% ratio. Furthermore, if E-Sumi could be swayed to that way of thinking, he could easily start approaching the various Conjurers he feels up to it and seek to help bring White Magic back around.

EDIT: Current living Padjal count is now up to five, since there is also O-App-Pesi, who talks to the player about Odin!

RE: Ideas and discussion about white mages - Aduu Avagnar - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 09:57 AM)Kage Wrote: To be honest, the white mage questline made me feel as if the Padjal were all reluctant but eventually willing to accept the "YOU" Adventurer as a WHM out of necessity.
pretty much this,

however, as I have said in other threads, if you come up with a reasonable reason as to why you know this restricted art of Magic, then rock on, lets do this.