Hydaelyn Role-Players
A question on collective nouns - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: A question on collective nouns (/showthread.php?tid=10272)

A question on collective nouns - MadWater - 02-23-2015

What word is used to refer to the playable races (and non playable races such as the Padjal) in general? I feel like calling an individual of any race a 'man' or 'woman' is okay, but what would be a good substitute for phrases such as "we're only human" or "have you no humanity?" while still keeping the meaning of those phrases?

RE: A question on collective nouns - FreelanceWizard - 02-23-2015

The Primals, Midgardsormr, Ascians, and beast tribes refer to the "civilized races" as Man (or the Sons of Man), so that seems a plausible term one could use.

With that said, I can't recall any of the "good guys" using that term, so using it might have certain... implications. Smile

RE: A question on collective nouns - Alothia - 02-23-2015

I usually go with something like, "We're all Eorzean" or something along those lines. I try to adapt that with the setting, but yeah, it is something that I'm not really 100% sure on. I suppose that they're all semi-human races because they walk upright and have generally human characteristics.

I did have to giggle thinking about this. "Oh, the hyuranity!"

RE: A question on collective nouns - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-23-2015

I recall that all of the playable races are still referred to as "human", sorta. ...something about them being enlightened races, as opposed to beast races or monsters.

While I stay away from "human" myself, I see no issues with using "humanity", as it's developed a meaning on its own, separate from "human" at this point. 

Normally, if I want to refer to a collection of the playable races, I'll use "people" if the group is mixed, or the race's noun if there's a group. 

I tend to consider the race nouns as collective nouns on their own. Like a group a hyur, miqo'te, elezen, roegaden and lalafell. It sounds weird to say "hyurs", "miqo'tes", and "elezens" to me, but I could pass with "roegadyns" and "lalafells" for some reason.

RE: A question on collective nouns - Sounsyy - 02-23-2015

Well, the game collectively refers to us as "Races of Man." So, I feel like "humanity" can still work well enough for the purposes of RP. "Mankind" may be an even better substitute though, as it falls in line with the terms to classify other non-humanoid species in game like "scalekin," "cloudkin," or "soulkin." So I'd probably go with Mankind?

RE: A question on collective nouns - Cato - 02-23-2015

'Have you no empathy?' is a good replacement for 'Have you no humanity?'

'We're only mortal' works as a replacement for 'We're only human'.

RE: A question on collective nouns - Khoure - 02-23-2015

it depends I guess. In general, since the 'human' race are actually called hyur, I think it would be fair to call everyone humans, since that's what they all overwhelmingly resemble and the term wouldn't actually be hyur-centric. In other places with different races where humans are still called humans, I usually avoid the issue by rephrasing wherever I can, using the term people when applicable, or sentient or mortal races if it fits. Once in a while I've broken down and used the term 'humanoid races', but it sounded rather clunky so I try to avoid it.

RE: A question on collective nouns - Khadan - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 12:06 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: 'Have you no empathy?' is a good replacement for 'Have you no humanity?'

'We're only mortal' works as a replacement for 'We're only human'.

This would be my bet. Thumbsup

RE: A question on collective nouns - Berrod Armstrong - 02-23-2015

I tend to go with things like.

"He wanted revenge? I'm not surprised. We're only men, after all."

"To err is typical of man." 

"To err is mortal."

I try to avoid 'human and humanity' because I see 'human' referred to as 'mankind'. So I find a way not to use expressions like, "Oh, the humanity!"

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for using human, though! I just avoid it to match with the game's flavor, just like I replace the word 'fuck' with 'swive' and 'bugger' as often as I can. I don't think using 'fuck' is wrong, but I just personally enjoy having my character speak like the NPCs!

RE: A question on collective nouns - Gegenji - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 11:59 AM)Alothia Wrote: I did have to giggle thinking about this. "Oh, the hyurmanity!"

Fixed that for you. Thumbsup

RE: A question on collective nouns - MadWater - 02-23-2015

Thank you for all of your feedback! I thought I remembered the "sons of man" thing but I convinced myself that I was confusing Final Fantasy with the Bible.