Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) (/showthread.php?tid=10369)

Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Nara'to - 02-27-2015

Greetings to you all and thank you for taking the time to stop by my thread to give it a once over.  I don't wish to take up too much of your time so let me get to the point.

I am looking for companionship in this game, others with which I can adventure with and enjoy everything this game has to offer.  I started playing a few weeks ago thinking it'd be a breeze to make friends.  Boy was I wrong.  Though most of the issue lies with me being shy and it takes ALOT for me to actually strike up a conversation.  Though I have been able to get a few people to friend me, I just find it difficult to randomly chat with them due to me not wanting to bother anyone.  An issue I am trying very hard to fix.  Plus the only way I know someone wants to talk is if they contact me which is pretty much a double edge sword.

In terms of role-playing I'll basically sit somewhere, in good view, where everyone can see my character, and start emoting my butt off in hopes that I will get some warranted response.  I do this a few times every night when it is busy in several locations.  I guess I am doing it wrong so the blame lies entirely with me.  Forgive me for it is difficult for me to throw myself out there.

With that said I honestly don't know how else to go about this.  I wanted to avoid creating a thread so I wouldn't be a bother but it couldn't be helped, apologies.   I do thank you all for reading and if possible please try to get in contact in game.   I can't promise that I'd respond in here in a timely manner, my schedule is all messed up at the moment.  Apologies if it is an issue.

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-27-2015

Bother me anytime. If for some ungodly reason I'm actually busy, I'll either be offline or find a polite way of declining. (So pretty much unless I'm in a duty or already in an RP scene, I'm probably randomly staring off into space doing nothing. Please! Do not be afraid of the big red man.)

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Atoli - 02-27-2015

I used to be exactly like that, so I know your pain! xD What's your in-game name? I might just hit you up some time this weekend!

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Magellan - 02-28-2015

All I can say is perservere. It can be hard to find your way in sometimes, especially if you're playing a shy character. Heck some of my characters struggle to find rp.

I can't promise I'll always be available to rp (first time back to the game in over a year, so I've been doing a lot of leveling stuff) but I'm almost always up for a chat. Good luck!

-Lyra Blueflower/Claire Fialo

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Nara'to - 02-28-2015

Thank you for the replies.  As for the question of my characters name he is Nara'to Mewrilah.  Character surname is 100% random in game generator so I got very lucky with it.  As for the first name I thoroughly read through some of the lore concerning how Miqo'to are named and decided to go with something that is something old combined with something I've never used before.  Naralis-lis+'to=Nara'to.  Also reading up how he could be named was even easier. Second son of a woman named Nara. Someone who knows their lore helped me there.

In regards to my shyness I try every day to better myself in this area.  Even though my insides are screaming whenever I start to approach people I fight through it because I don't wish to be shy and want to change it.  It's a long road and I thank you for the support.

Anywho, thank you for the replies.  Feel free to poke at me anytime I am on, will definitely do the same if I come across you ^.^

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Maia - 02-28-2015

I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time still.

I think it's good for shy people to try and join some Linkshells (or FC's.) Depending on the LS concept, it's a unifying tool that helps not only with OoC networking, but they also gather characters ICly under a common goal. Most LS's will also have websites to interact through and their own events to partake in, and consist of friendly sub-communities.

I acknowledge that it's not for everyone, but if you're still having troubles after a time, I'd give a good look through all of the ones listed in the "Linkshells" button. There is likely one in there that has a premise you'd find appealing!

(02-28-2015, 01:16 AM)Maia Wrote: I'm sorry to hear you're having a rough time still.

I think it's good for shy people to try and join some Linkshells (or FC's.) Depending on the LS concept, it's a unifying tool that helps not only with OoC networking, but they also gather characters ICly under a common goal. Most LS's will also have websites to interact through and their own events to partake in, and consist of friendly sub-communities.

I acknowledge that it's not for everyone, but if you're still having troubles after a time, I'd give a good look through all of the ones listed in the "Linkshells" button. There is likely one in there that has a premise you'd find appealing!
Linkshells are very confusing to me.  I have no idea how to go about joining one.  I notice that there is a page and there are alot listed but like I said, I have 0 clue as to what to do to go about joining one.

As for the FC part I am still trying to find one.  I just dislike jumping into something random without knowledge of what I'm getting into.  I seem to be getting spammed with invites by the same FC on a daily basis.

I don't mean to be picky but after my time in WoW and everything I learned about guilds over the years I wish to avoid past mistakes and join the right FC for me.  Sadly I don't really know how to go about that either.  That's why all I can think of is just praying someone witnesses Nara, talks to him which leads to eventual asking to join an FC.  Sadly it doesn't seem to work like that.  Which is why I am having such a hard time.

Thank you though for the response, I appreciate it.

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Maia - 02-28-2015

A lot of new people are confused about the difference between FCs and linkshells, so you're not alone there. An FC is probably more like a WoW guild, or just a guild in general.

A LS is more like a chat room that you can equip. It holds a group of people who have also joined that specific chat. You can have up to 8 of these, and they can be good for networking without the pressure of 'committing' to a FC.

One that I can recommend is Open RP. That one is just a LS full of RPers, and the leadership frequently mentions upcoming RP events that people can attend.

Attending events is also a really good way to meet and RP with people, so I'd check out the calendar and stalk that like a trap door spider~!

To go about joining a LS (any LS), you can write a comment on their LS page (like the one I just linked) to ask if they're still accepting people, and how to join. If you see one that has an FC, you can also ask if it's a requirement to join the FC to participate in their LS (as some LS's require it, and others don't.)

Hope that helps!

Thank you, the information you gave me cleared alot up.

I did attend my first event tonight.  Didn't get to roleplay with anyone though.  I think everyone met up before it started so I pretty much sat by myself observing, occasionally emoting. The event was fun and enjoyable though. ALOT of couples, didn't know there were that many here.

Though I will attend more events in the future.  Just need to figure out another way aside from random emotes to get the attention of others.  It is failing me horribly >.<

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Kurt S. - 02-28-2015

I SAW YOU SITTING DOWN AT AUCTION THING.

I will find you...and we will RP and we will go on GRAND ADVENTURES....YOU BETTER GROW EYES AT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD. 

I'M ONTO YOU

O uO-b

(02-28-2015, 09:50 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: I SAW YOU SITTING DOWN AT AUCTION THING.

I will find you...and we will RP and we will go on GRAND ADVENTURES....YOU BETTER GROW EYES AT THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD. 

I'M ONTO YOU

O uO-b
O_O
I honestly didn't think anyone noticed me!  You have made my night sir.

Also, after going through the linkshell pages I feel so overwhelmed.  I honestly don't know what to choose Q_Q  There are so many.  It's a good thing though.

I really wish I could develop my character more so I feel more comfortable roleplaying.  Not being able to decide his primary skill is really killing me.  His personality is set though!

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - Nara'to - 03-02-2015

I greatly appreciate everyone who responded and those who actually did friend me.  Sadly I just can't take the ignoring of my character anymore.  Trying to find RP or an FC has become very depressing for me.  Nothing I do seems to work and I am running out of options.

I don't wish to give up but when the community pretty much ignores a character it is a very depressing feeling I don't wish to have.  I may just focus on leveling solo or creating my own FC to use for only myself.

Again thank you to those who responded and those who added me as a friend.  I may just stick to being solo, it's feeling like this game wishes that for me.

Take care all.

RE: Seeking Companionship (Newbie looking for friends) - theFez - 03-03-2015

I'm also super shy, and pretty new to RP in general. Luckily, I have my wife who RPs to help (our mains are ic friends, not a couple) and having rolled a couple Roegadyn- the Broken Chairs LS really opened some avenues for me. 

Feel free to send me a tell in game (sometimes I'm afk, so if I don't answer that's why). My characters are Isilrael Geissfyrwyn and Pleasant Pheasant. Good luck and see you around!