Hydaelyn Role-Players
So, I'm this kind of Noob - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: So, I'm this kind of Noob (/showthread.php?tid=10393)

Pages: 1 2

So, I'm this kind of Noob - SolaceWinds - 03-02-2015

Is there any guild out there who helps/teaches people how to raid/pvp....ESPECIALLY if they have never done it?

Here's my dilemma. I have currently ranked 50 in NIN, and notice that most of the stuff now are raids and pvp. I haven't even finished the story past Cape Westwind (didn't even start) because it's raiding and I just know that I'll efioqhfhFUCKUPljfwkh (and I don't like wasting people's time/hindering them) since it's my first time. From my experiences, people don't like first timers (got kicked from AV about three times because I was new and didn't know the dungeon mechanics). I'm going to assume it's because people don't like to teach other people?

So, as I've asked above is there any FC/LS or even a group that focuses on helping lowly casuals like myself (do/dont's, practice runs, etc). Or do I just have to screw up and have people yell at me until I EVENTUALLY get it right? 

I play on the Balmung server, btw 

FrustratedFrustratedHuh

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Faye - 03-02-2015

We're primarily an RP FC, but if you wanna check out Harbingers of Dawn, we'd be happy to help you get started into raiding. Smile Also I personally can assist anytime! I can heal or DPS most endgame content.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - SolaceWinds - 03-02-2015

Being an RP FC wouldn't be an issue since I tend to love RPing, but two things:
1. I've heard about your HotD first from Tera and now FFXiv, I know you guys are primarily a protagonist like Guild/FC, I just want to know Noes would fit. He's not exactly against Eorzea, in fact he wants to help it, the only thing is that his record is a little...sketchy, suffice to say. If you want to know more of it I can always PM you summary. 

2. How patient are you guys. Like I said I've never done any endgame/raiding stuff before so I will be going in this with no experience and blind. Imagine teaching a newborn baby Trigonometry lol!. *ahem* but yea.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Faye - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 04:09 AM)SolaceWinds Wrote: Being an RP FC wouldn't be an issue since I tend to love RPing, but two things:
1. I've heard about your HotD first from Tera and now FFXiv, I know you guys are primarily a protagonist like Guild/FC, I just want to know Noes would fit. He's not exactly against Eorzea, in fact he wants to help it, the only thing is that his record is a little...sketchy, suffice to say. If you want to know more of it I can always PM you summary. 

2. How patient are you guys. Like I said I've never done any endgame/raiding stuff before so I will be going in this with no experience and blind. Imagine teaching a newborn baby Trigonometry lol!. *ahem* but yea.

1. We have a lot of members with sketchy pasts (and presents...)! So long as it can presently be kept on the down-low, it's not an issue! Big Grin

2. Very! The beginning of end-game content is honestly very easy and I'm sure you'll pick it up fast! Regardless, we love helping out newbies!

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Steel Wolf - 03-02-2015

I can offer my tanking services for any dungeons or raids you'd be interested in with exception of Coils. I've also never done any PvP so I'm a three-tier noobcake with git gud buttercream frosting..but hey I'm willing to try anything at least once. With the exception of Coils.

Assuming the queues aren't terrible.

Anyrate, feel free to give Steel Wolf a poke. I tend to be online at around 7pm EST.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Gegenji - 03-02-2015

What you need to keep in mind that the basic 8-man instances in FFXIV (the MSQ ones, the non-Extreme Trials, and to an extent the Crystal Tower dungeons) are not nearly as bad as, say, WoW raiding. Especially with DPS.

For example, let me break down some of the basic ones:

Cape Westwind: One boss - beat him up, stay out of the big AoE.
Castrum Meridianum - Adds, the instance. Kill adds, follow the group.
The Praetorium - Most folks "speedrun" the instance at this point. Follow the group, don't stand in glowing circles.

Titan HM - Don't get hit by the knockback, avoid exploding rocks.
Ifrit HM - Kill the nails (plural) when they spawn, avoid charges and fiery AoE fields.
Garuda HM - Follow the crowd, stay out of glowing green circles.

Really, only the Crystal Tower raids (CT/ST/WoD) have some more mechanics that you need to know, but you can usually get some lenience due to being DPS as opposed to a tank or healer. Also, if you need a fight explained, asking will usually result in someone explaining it to you.

And if you need help being walked through them, asking around RPC or in-game will usually work too. If for nothing else than the bonus soldiery you'll provide for your first time through.

The only ones that get really complicated, as far as I can tell, is Coil. And it's not really required for anything. It's basically for the highest-end gear (which you shouldn't need unless you're... well, running Coil), and to wrap up the aftermath of the Cataclysm plot-wise. I think. I've only done a few of the early Turns.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Inessa Hara - 03-02-2015

Most dungeons have pretty easy mechanics. The only thing you will need to practice for is usually the Primal fights and Binding Coil of Bahamut. That and LotA/ST/WoD but those are easy in general.

Raiding is easy to get into. Granted that it's not really the biggest thing right now though due to the fact everyone is on FCOB or waiting for the Alexander (whatever they are called) Raid series that will be for 3.0.

3.0 will be the most opportune time to get into raiding. Everyone will be scrambling to complete the newest content, which means plenty of opportunities for a new raider to get into raiding content.

Thats also one of the things I dont really like about this game. I joined up in 2.2, but generally, if you dont catch up with the endgame crowd, you usually get left behind pretty fast.

I was lucky to actually make it to SCOB. I spent a long and painful month and a half trying to learn turn 5 mechanics and dealing with PUG after PUG. It wasnt easy, but this group came and helped me out in the end for free. (they all had max level gear so I assumed they were a endgame group or something. Shout out to you guys if you see this.)

But generally, endgame is going to be difficult and you will need to keep up with the difficulty curb and the rest of the community, if you dont then your likely to get left behind and having to work with PUG groups.

It's not as bad as it sounds and there is plenty of time for you to get into it and learn so dont feel discouraged by what im saying! Rather, I encourage you to try an hit your head against the endgame wall because endgame is fun and enjoyable.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Maia - 03-02-2015

I can vouch that Noes is a pretty cool guy!

You may also have luck in the LS Months Behind, as it seems their concept is exactly what you're describing?

A few people in Rendezvous are also in HoD, so they seem to be good people too! Moogle

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - SolaceWinds - 03-02-2015

Was honestly expecting "git gud git rekt" responses.  It is the open mind-ness is astounding. I will check out HoD and also____ and take into consideration the advice. Thanks guys. LaughLaughLaugh

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Gegenji - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 02:57 PM)SolaceWinds Wrote: Was honestly expecting "git gud git rekt" responses.  It is the open mind-ness is astounding. I will check out HoD and also____ and take into consideration the advice. Thanks guys. LaughLaughLaugh

Well, my favorite shape IS the rektangle. Does that count?

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - SicketySix - 03-02-2015

(03-02-2015, 02:57 PM)SolaceWinds Wrote: Was honestly expecting "git gud git rekt" responses.  It is the open mind-ness is astounding. I will check out HoD and also____ and take into consideration the advice. Thanks guys. LaughLaughLaugh
git gud r git rekt
nevermind me, I'm just a jerk

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Kage - 03-02-2015

Were you perhaps looking for this?
[Image: P26EMnu.png]

In all seriousness, I haven't particularly ever had issues with raiding except for incompetence when people like to feign as if they don't need a pointer or two and this doesn't sound like that at all.

I've never seen anyone or had anyone kicked from an instance when they've stated that they were new up front. I know people have said this happens before but I literally have not seen this ever happen before.

Some pointers about the dungeons:
Many of them -do- have some sort of mechanic but they're easily explained while in dungeon. Though the small issue is that anything involving 8man can almost always be done with people being left behind and lost. If you can, if you are wanting to tackle a specific dungeon as more experienced players what to expect.

Of course a LS and an FC dedicated to helping will always help because you will most likely find like-minded people faster but even then your paces may not match so people need to be straightforward about what they expect to do. I remember people offering to tank and help with the last two dungeons of 2.0 (CM and Praetorium). Almost all of these are now "speedrun" for more efficiency's sake. Instead of stop, pull, kill, go, stop pull kill. You get some longer pulls because some things die fast enough that stopping for just 3 is a waste in energy and time. Then you might have trigger happy people who might think "go ahead watch a cutscene" means it is ok to lock people out. Do the battle while someone is watching the cutscene etc.

I would definitely suggest that if you do want to get into coil, Extreme Primals, -maybe- Crystal Tower trilogy that you look into them before the fights. Those are more involved than simple dungeon fights.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Steel Wolf - 03-03-2015

(03-02-2015, 03:27 PM)Kage Wrote: I would definitely suggest that if you do want to get into coil, Extreme Primals, -maybe- Crystal Tower trilogy that you look into them before the fights. Those are more involved than simple dungeon fights.

To this point, might I suggest a YouTube channel by the name of Mr. Happy Gaming? He has some excellent video guides for every dungeon and raid in the game. I've always used him as a primer and though it didn't make me an instant expert, it did at least get me prepared for what was coming.

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Inessa Hara - 03-03-2015

(03-03-2015, 08:53 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 03:27 PM)Kage Wrote: I would definitely suggest that if you do want to get into coil, Extreme Primals, -maybe- Crystal Tower trilogy that you look into them before the fights. Those are more involved than simple dungeon fights.

To this point, might I suggest a YouTube channel by the name of Mr. Happy Gaming?  He has some excellent video guides for every dungeon and raid in the game.  I've always used him as a primer and though it didn't make me an instant expert, it did at least get me prepared for what was coming.
Ew, No no no no no. While Mr.Happy may have been around in the community since forever, I would strongly if not outright discourage watching his video's. All he does is babble on about random useless BS on a single raid for twenty minutes and just loops 30 seconds of gameplay footage constantly.

There are, honestly, much better video guides out there.

[youtube]wR3aPDe5fcI[/youtube]

RE: So, I'm this kind of Noob - Steel Wolf - 03-03-2015

(03-03-2015, 09:01 AM)Inessa Hara Wrote:
(03-03-2015, 08:53 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 03:27 PM)Kage Wrote: *stuff*
*moar stuff*
*violent wretching as a nerve was apparently struck with a sledgehammer*

...oh...kaaaaay? So you now have TWO options!

The...the point is, there are lots of guides out there to help you out. So search around and see what provides you the best advice! ^^