Hydaelyn Role-Players
Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Necromancy, death, and the undead. (/showthread.php?tid=10557)

Pages: 1 2 3

Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Cassandra Lachance - 03-12-2015

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what lore information there is on necromancy, if there is anything. Are there examples of it in the storyline? Is there any attempt to revive the dead?

I've seen zombies in the Hildibrand questline but I can't remember whether they're explained at all. Or even if it's meant to be taken seriously, given the general tone of those sidequests.

Finally, on a related note, burial is part of the standard funerary customs in Eorzea, right? Is there anything unusual about funerals in Eorzea?

Any resources, posts or videos you would be willing to share related to these questions would be very much appreciated.

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Nebbs - 03-12-2015

Ooh great question. I'd also point at Haukke and the various places skeletons are seen.

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Kilid/Torhe - 03-12-2015

Haukke, Siren and her horde, and, uhh... Tam-Tara Deepcroft HM.  To avoid anything more spoiler-y, I'll just leave it there and recommend you check out those instances *Nod*

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Warren Castille - 03-12-2015

I think Tam-tara Hard Mode is probably our best and closest example for it. Necromancy isn't really well defined in Eorzea, but that doesn't mean no one's tampering with the dead.

It's been a long time since I did the main story, but I thought I recalled them stating that people needed to be buried properly because otherwise they rise as restless spirits. I really liked that idea, for some reason. I suppose because it puts weight on the wanton slaughter we might otherwise see? It's one thing to have the guts to kill (and something so many people take so lightly in roleplay), but Eorzea has the added consequence of needing to take care of the body when you're finished. What's the point of avenging someone or righting a wrong via murderdeathkill if you just leave the body to rise and kill and eat someone else?

Be responsible with your corpses, kids.

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Cassandra Lachance - 03-12-2015

I swear I have the attention span of a squirrel sometimes. Tam-Tara Deepcroft is a great example, thank you. ^^ I must say I don't quite remember the Haukke Manor storylines though, I'm going to look into it. Fortunately, Youtube seems to have cutscene videos of everything.

Also, thank you for your reply Warren, that helps. Smile

Haukke seems to be less necromancy/meddling and more void/corruption, but that's just my interpretation. It's also a lalafell sex dungeon depending on who you ask!

The Hildebrand storyline also deals with zombies in some limited capacity but... I'd be very, very cautious about taking anything from those line as "canonical." Things get a little Hanna-Barbera over there.

Hehe, yeah, that's exactly what I thought as well. Regarding Haukke manor, I'm going to take a look at the cutscenes later. But every little bit helps.

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Liandri - 03-12-2015

(In 1.0 Edda was an NPC in a quest, of which, you had to stop her from learning necromancy)

Popping this under spoilers in case anyone hasn't done Tam-Tara HM:

Show Content

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Aduu Avagnar - 03-12-2015

Also remember that the priests of Thal are temporarily able to restore someone to life, also, if you haven't already, go do the alchemists quest line.

Thanks Liandri and Nako'li. ^^ As for the Alchemist quest line, I'll do the next best thing and look for the cutscenes on Youtube. Big Grin

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Mercurias - 03-12-2015

(03-12-2015, 07:39 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Ooh great question. I'd also point at Haukke and the various places skeletons are seen.

As a possible point, Nebbs, I believe it's been stated by Devs that the majority of the skeletons we've seen in the game are actually voidsent.

Whether or not this is true I haven't been able to confirm through a web search. 

The only thing I can say I learned is that their official classification is "Wights" and that they are a subtype of Ashkin.

Show Content

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Faye - 03-12-2015

Unfortunately I don't recall any of the lore on it--but there was that area in Thanalan full of undead enemies.

Hmm. The Void and the dead connection is given some credence in locations. I know there's a big pile of imps north of Drybone around where the Undertaker FATE spawns.

Quote:A malevolent spirit, freed from his subterranean prison when the Calamity unearthed the Invisible City, is indiscriminately attacking those who journey into the ruins in search of fortune and knowledge. Seek out the Undertaker and release his soul from the fetters of the corporeal realm.

And some FATEs in the Shroud:

Quote:Someone or something has awakened souls laid to rest long ago in the Tam-Tara Deepcroft, and now the restless revenants seek blood!

Quote:A cadre of Spirithold-dwelling imps is planning a mass exodus into the Twelveswood to make their merry mischief. Trap them in the abandoned dungeon and see that they never leave.

Quote:A markedly mischievous monster known as Alux has been spotted hiding in Spirithold. Ambush the voidsent, and slay him before he can escape.

And a Guildhest:

Quote:Bockman, a wandering revenant trapped in the corporeal realm, has reclaimed his legendary suit of armor and now waits silently near the Tam--Tara Deepcroft for any who would challenge him. Not only does the undead knight brandish a massive blade capable of incapacitating multiple victims in one fell stroke, but when threatened, Bockman will summon his decaying minions from the pits of the seventh hell. Defeat the restless soul, and send him back to the Lifestream where he may, at long last, find peace.

There does seem to be a common occurrence of imps and the dead being near one another. Hmm. Hmmmm.

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - Aduu Avagnar - 03-12-2015

Eastern thanalan - the invisible city?

RE: Necromancy, death, and the undead. - cuideag - 03-12-2015

(03-12-2015, 10:01 AM)Mercurias Wrote:
Show Content

This has always been my assumption as well. ^ These things plus blood magic as mentioned above seem to come hand in hand from what I could see but I am by no means a lorehound.