Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? (/showthread.php?tid=10645)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Cercil - 03-18-2015

I've been seeing this essay go around on all of my other RP talks and around my tumblr, so I was wondering - how does the community see the term? Do you think it's sexist, no, or is there another opinion you have?

Here's the essay. Personally, I do not see the term as sexist, but I plan to write my own response later. What do you guys think?

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Val - 03-18-2015

After reading that article, I can't help but to roll my eyes and think that people try way too hard to find things to be offended by.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Ciel - 03-18-2015

The male equivalent is Gary Stu.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Warren Castille - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 07:41 PM)Ciel Wrote: The male equivalent is Gary Stu.

Annnnd we're done here.

Edit: Oh look. Someone's tumblr post.

Double edit: I didn't click the article, but I hope it cites the original cause for the term: Star Trek fanfiction starring ensign Mary Sue, the new girl on the bridge that everyone adored, who saved everyone and was all around the best, most wonderful character Trek has ever seen.

Before you ask, yes, I am experiencing discomfort in my derriere.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Flashhelix - 03-18-2015

my writing isn't shit, YOU'RE a sexist

#justtumblrthings

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - allgivenover - 03-18-2015

Wow, I feel like reading that killed a few brain cells.

Silliness aside, I don't want to discredit the importance of fighting sexism or the need for feminism, but that was probably the farthest I've ever seen an SJW stretch to reach for fresh, uncharted expanses of righteous indignation.

Also, as others have and will state again; Gary Stu.
(03-18-2015, 07:43 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Double edit: I didn't click the article, but I hope it cites the original cause for the term: Star Trek fanfiction starring ensign Mary Sue, the new girl on the bridge that everyone adored, who saved everyone and was all around the best, most wonderful character Trek has ever seen.

Before you ask, yes, I am experiencing discomfort in my derriere.

Of course it doesn't. That would have required five minutes of research and critical thinking skills.

Edit: My mistake, it does. I was just so floored by the stupid that I skimmed over that part.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Verad - 03-18-2015

Sure, why not.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Ardent Ghost - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 07:39 PM)Val Wrote: After reading that article, I can't help but to roll my eyes and think that people try way too hard to find things to be offended by.
[Image: This_gif.gif]

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Crisiet - 03-18-2015

^

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Ette - 03-18-2015

I definitely think it used to be. The word originated sometime in the 70's and it's 2015 now. We've come pretty damn far since then when it comes to a lot social issues. It's also not something I run into a lot in RP as people will generally explain why a character is awful. That and a writer, try as they might, can force anyone else's characters to love and adore their own.

Of course this leads to a completely different brand of bad. Do we have a name for that yet?

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Elros - 03-18-2015

I honestly don't think it's sexist at all BUT I do think think there's something sexist by saying women can and male's cant be a mary sue ( or as everyone else pointed out a 'gary stu')

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - industrythirteen - 03-18-2015

http://thezoe-trope.blogspot.com/2011/08/you-can-stuff-your-mary-sue-where-sun.html To me, this is a much better posting on the topic. 

Mary Sue is a lot like the term 'slut,' in my opinion. It's a label that means so many things to so many different people, and really has no meaning besides "I don't like this person, because x, y, z.' And that x, y, z will differ from person to person. Frankly, there is no pleasing everybody, and I think roleplayers spend far too much time worrying about whether their character is or isn't a sue. It's a lot of wasted energy. 

Stop worrying about it. What someone thinks of you or your character is none of your business. Just do you, and don't cause any harm to others.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - TheLastCandle - 03-18-2015

Somehow, I knew before even clicking the link that it would be a tumblr post.

I have a tumblr

I don't think the term is sexist, but I do think it's overused and misapplied so often that I've stopped giving it any thought.

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Zyrusticae - 03-18-2015

(03-18-2015, 07:43 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Annnnd we're done here.
lol yup

Shit like this only muddles the conversation and drives attention away from real issues. The amount of mental gymnastics required to even think this is a possibility boggles my mind, and I'm a super-hardcore feminist. Come the fuck on! Evil

RE: Opinion question: Is Mary Sue Sexist? - Chill Man - 03-18-2015

This. I personally don't like throwing either term around, however. Let people have their fun RPing whatever. I don't have to take part in it if I do not agree with it, or if they do not want me involved.