Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Miner's Guild - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Miner's Guild (/showthread.php?tid=1073)

The Miner's Guild - faceman7381 - 10-01-2011

Once upon a time, early on in Final Fantasy 14, before many came to the conclusion the game was just too unfinished to merit continued play, the Miner's Guild in Ul'Dah was a place that many RPers used to congregate and roleplay.

I was always taken back by its setting because it reminded me some of the old swg cantinas with its stage and bar patrons setting about. Table top D n D was really famous for starting the whole 'meeting in a tavern' to go and adventure.

I would like to put forth an idea I have and ask for volunteers. This is not a linkshell. I would like to see the Miner's Guild become like a Cheers. It would be a place where everybody could go to see each other and be seen by others. In this idea, it would be a community place. I am not advocating it to be THE community place, just a more organic place to have RP develope. The same way that this site helps direct RPers to linkshells, the Miner's Guild could become the place to direct RPers to others. By meeting in the guild, RP could occur organically through start up conversations. It could also lead to RPers asking for others to join them on RP adventures for long-term story telling.

Again, this is not an attempt to hinder linkshells or to recruit for one. In fact, if the shells liked, they could use it as a place to recruit and show off what they are all about in game. This is of course, if we got the place to be packed again.

So, what would I like to do? I would like to have a cast of characters 'run' the bar so to speak. Think of them like living npcs played by pcs that you could get to know and RP with. Instead of the players that would run the Miner's Guild explaining their backstories and reasons for living to you when you speak with them, the players running the guild would be geared on listening and interacting with the players that came in and forming relationships of any level and/or feeling(s) with them. The players running it would also seek to become 'memorable' personalities, much like those you might find at a local bar or on Cheers.

Let me also say that I am not trying to establish accepted lore or fact here by saying that the cast 'running' the bar are to be its only accepted cannonical owners. I would only ask that when the cast is 'on duty' (that is to say in the Miner's Guild and Roleplaying) that they would be roleplayed at that time as the person(s) tending to the Guild (much like being on shift).

What we would be looking for would be four people with these limited specific qualites to fit the 'job descriptions':

1. Manager of the Bar - a person who could finance the bar. This would probally be a noble and someone who is skilled with salesmanship and advertising.

2. Bouncer - the quiet hired hand who keeps watch over all as patrons enjoy their time. If they had to 'bounce' someone, patrons should agree to roleplay being 'thrown out' in a reasonable manner (as in no god-style suff on either side).

3. Tender - the Barkeep who is probally a retired warrior/miner or something, who has taken up cooking (a good chance to roleplay the selling of some of your actual crafted food items maybe) and tells stories of the 'old days' of adventuring and also knows a bit/ a bunch about the Garleans and the surrounding area mines.

4. Entertainer - the wide-eyed dancer/bard who tends tables until the entertainment is set to begin. Someone who is looking to become a star known throughtout the land, but has humble beginnings.

Again, this is an idea. I understand some will accept it, other will pan it. As I said before, this is not a linkshell and it is not ment to take away from any of the already eastablished and great linkshells. As I state prior, if the place gets big, then maybe linkshells can even come as a group to recruit or otherwise.

If we can get those 4 'cast' members set, then we can work towards maybe getting some schedule posted for everyone to see as far as when we will be 'on the clock'. I really hope that people who reply to this don't waste time panning it. I really just want people interested in the positions or in favor of this to reply.

I too have been burned on here in the past for trying to come up with ideas that may or may not have been the most straight cannon or overall good ideas. I came back here after the dusk settled and can see that there are others who are trying to get somethings ironed out. This is just an idea. If you like it, come help make it a reality. If you don't like it, then these are not the droids you are looking for and you can move along because there is nothing more to see here.

If you are interested in the positions, you can reply here or contact Konnor Kinkaid in game. If you just like the idea, let me know. I am not saying only having four positions is a permenant thing either. Just for the sake of getting things going, we will shoot for four. Again, these people will act as living npcs that other players can come to the Miner's Guild and see when we are 'on duty'. It would really be like a place where everybody knows your name. It would be a place where you walk in the players running it might call out your name to welcome you and ask about the latest adventure you were last on.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I really do appreciate everyone here in this community and all the roleplaying linkshells for keeping the scene alive.

Re: The Miner's Guild - SamusKnight2K - 10-01-2011

Interesting thought, but claiming ownership over the Mineral Concern would actually clash with the in-game lore. The tavern already has an owner, who from the NPC reactions, appears to only hire women he intends on bedding or has hope to do so with. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to really kick people out either if they were to cause some disruptions of ban people from coming either. Take this for example.

Sanctus Refero, a trading company, has ICly taken up the Astalicia as their headquarters and base of operations. Alona Rhys rents out parts of the ship to do their business from. Now, because of this, their employees have to live with and coexist with all manners of scum including the pirates and marauders that lurk around or show up on the ship. The company has a "security" branch that's in charge of keeping peace. Now, since the area is only rented out as well, they can't really kick anyone off the ship or ban them from coming on board.

This is the same scenario you would have to deal with regarding the Mineral Concern. People can come and go as they please, drink themselves drunk, or do whatever they really want within reason of course. The idea of using it as a main place of roleplay is an excellent idea, but I'm afraid that's already the case. It of course, just comes down to people making more frequent use of it and being respectful of others in the area too who are already there.

Re: The Miner's Guild - faceman7381 - 10-01-2011

I probally need to explain 'kicking people out' a bit better.

It's not a ban or keeping people out. It would just be like a 'you've had a few too many to drink and have become loud.' Then show them to the door. No one is not to come back or being forced out, it's more like at that moment they would recognize the bouncer is asking them to leave and neither the bouncer nor the person in question should begin to go into god-mode. They could return right after that. It would just be like an instanced event that just occured. There may be better ideas on how to handle that. I am not an intelligent person and I am sure there are thousands of others who could come up with a better way.

I also wanna make clear that we would not be claiming ownership of the place, but be more like an on-shift, working it short of thing.

I really just want people to reply to this that are interested in it. I hope everyone would at least support an idea that is trying to assist here and in game. If it's not 100% cannonical, I am sorry. If this falls by the wayside, then so-be-it. I hope this site moving forward is positive in generating ideas and assisting the community.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to read this.