Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Inspirations! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Inspirations! (/showthread.php?tid=10828)

Pages: 1 2 3

Character Inspirations! - SM Nick - 03-27-2015

I betcha I'm not the only one whose character was inspired by a popular character in a certain film, anime, movie, etc...

For example, my character Rena is inspired from the Monkey King, Sun Wukong. She is so wild and chaotic and loves to cause an uproar, she wields an stick-type weapon (albeit a polearm instead of a staff), and shares Wukong's golden eyes.

Here's Rena's current look:
[Image: aIThfRk.png]

And her personality and stuff is on her wiki.

Now if I wanted Rena to be an inspiration or reference to the Monkey King, am I doing a good job? How can I improve? Are there things I'm missing?

And I'm asking this kind of question to you guys as well: If your character is an inspiration or reference to someone, who is the one being referenced? Do you think you're doing good? How similar are they? And how different are they?

RE: Character Inspirations! - Maril - 03-27-2015

My character Thala'to was actually created to be sort of a sidekick to a player's character back in the day. They share some background work and have some similar traits, and have been through a lot of interesting turmoil since. I got inspired when I saw the character being played the first time and asked if it would be alright to make an alt for it. He's now my most played alt and I am really loving his personality and mannerisms, so I am really happy it came to be Big Grin

RE: Character Inspirations! - ChewableMorphine - 03-27-2015

Needs 40% more Kali Yuga.

[Image: latest?cb=20111117183734]

RE: Character Inspirations! - Nebbs - 03-27-2015

That's great!

I tend to pull from several sources and mash them up. Then finish it off in RP when I get a feel for the char. I find having some characteristic reference points helps.

RE: Character Inspirations! - John Spiegel - 03-27-2015

FFXI JJ directly influenced by Vash from Trigun and lastname from Spike from Cowboy Bebop (I know, baby's first anime.. thanks Adult Swim~) also unknowingly somewhat influenced by Guts from Berserker (battle bastard! scarred to hell). Much dark. So wow. Early incarnations were horrible.

FFXIV JJ influenced by FFXI JJ (insane, big weapons, dark knighty...) as well as shaped with more mature themes. I was like 12 back in FFXI days. He's more quiet but when he does talk it's still in what is known as "JJ-speak" which is observational plus off-beat comments.. sometimes riddles. Usually just grunts. Immature as hell. He's the guy that grabs a goblin bomb and hands it back to the goblins and 'boops' their nose before running off.. (So part Deadpool? lol) Well the goblin thing's never happened, JJ's friends with most gob-folk.

Alex, JJ's son, was influenced by.. well, I can't think of any. I just modeled him after part of myself and bits of his parents.

Grace, JJ's daughter, was influenced a lot by the XI version of her mother (who doesn't play XIV or anything). Hot-tempered, quick to act, shy. Punches things.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Gegenji - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 06:47 AM)Nebbs Wrote: That's great!

I tend to pull from several sources and mash them up. Then finish it off in RP when I get a feel for the char. I find having some characteristic reference points helps.

Sounds like how I do it. Chachan himself is... really a mishmash of all the "dorky good kid" types out there. I only recently realized that he's quite close in character to Kenichi from World's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi (which I then had to watch through again because it was a fun animu), and I've been pulling from some mythology as well.

Judge's referential points are pretty obvious too - the FFTA Judges (obviously), Shikieki from Touhou, and the font-style for passing along his imposing voice is straight lifted from Discworld's Death. He's got a lot more to him than just that, of course, but those are some pretty readily identifiable references to compare him to.

It's a sort of scaffolding to build off of - a basic character concept that you can easily understand and then have them grow in their own ways. There's plenty of characters with traits similar to Chachan out there, I'm sure... but there's none quite like him.

RE: Character Inspirations! - SessionZero - 03-27-2015

Reilan is Eorzean Han Solo, but not quite so family-friendly.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Warren Castille - 03-27-2015

Despite not realizing it or thinking much about it, Warren is basically a rip off of Lan from the Wheel of Time series.

Show Content

RE: Character Inspirations! - Melkire - 03-27-2015

Too many to count, but I'll toss out a few.

Caine Black Knife of Garthan Hold.
Matrim Cauthon.
Locke Lamora.
Azoth, a.k.a. Kylar Stern, pre-kakari.
Dean Winchester.
Thorfinn, Son of Thors.
Kamishiro Yuu.
Indiana Jones.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Aya - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 02:50 PM)Melkire Wrote: Too many to count, but I'll toss out a few.

Caine Black Knife of Garthan Hold.
Matrim Cauthon.
Locke Lamora.
Azoth, a.k.a. Kylar Stern, pre-kakari.
Dean Winchester.
Thorfinn, Son of Thors.
Kamishiro Yuu.
Indiana Jones.
Really?  No Batman?!

I don't feel like I really had any major outside character inspiration for Aya when I started—these days I think I have some but they've come about through sort of realizing other widely known characters she has similarities to Smile

RE: Character Inspirations! - Melkire - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 02:51 PM)Aya Wrote: Really?  No Batman?!

...Terry McGinnis.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Berrod Armstrong - 03-27-2015

Sawyer/James Ford from LOST was a HUGE inspiration to the way I played Berrod. I adopted Sawyer's habit of giving everyone a nickname, too! Berrod has changed now, but I'll remember it fondly. 

All those dirty Bara mangas i read also contributed.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Warren Castille - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 02:51 PM)Aya Wrote: Really?  No Batman?!

I just accept that anyone playing a detective or investigative sort is channeling Batman, be it willingly or otherwise.

Dibs on Longest Halloween Bats, though.

RE: Character Inspirations! - Verad - 03-27-2015

Baron Munchausen, both historical and Terry Gilliam'd
Moist von Lipwig
Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler
Shelley "The Machine" Levine
Nick Naylor
Coyote
Tora-san
Justy Ueki Tylor

RE: Character Inspirations! - Chris Ganale - 03-27-2015

Garon is basically my version of Jango/Boba Fett. Chao and Yuuna, duh. The source of Ghost should be obvious. Ganale is almost literally just me. R'tahz is the goody-two-shoes version of me, Seno is based largely on both Samurai Warriors and Sengoku Basara versions of Date Masamune, and Cres is just an older RO character I imported.