Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? (/showthread.php?tid=10830)

Pages: 1 2 3

Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Gone. - 03-27-2015

So here's an idea I've been toying with in my head for a while, a gathering of sorts for those with witch-like inclinations: conjurers, white mages, alchemists, scholars, thaumaturges, summoners... you get the idea. Final Fantasy has always drawn heavily from real-world paganism and witchcraft for its magic and so it seems a shame that such a niche doesn't seem to exist in the community yet.

We could swap everything from spellcraft tips to scary stories at a campfire. Take on commissions for healing, medicine, corruption removal, etc.; anything a mage can do, we could do it better united.

Details like the above are TBA, of course. Ideally I'd like to bounce ideas around with people that might be interested, hence why I've decided to go through and make this thread in hopes of finding others like me that would have a lot of fun with the concept.

If so, feel free to drop a post in this thread, or /tell in-game. Any potential advice or followers is definitely welcome and appreciated. <3

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Nebbs - 03-27-2015

YES!

I have been playing a witch for ages, I would definitely love to help and participate etc..

Here is Nebula's wiki [Nebula - apple seller]

She leans towards the Pratchett school of Witchery and embraces all the fairy tales, though they are often darker than you might think. She also goes in for crystals, fortune telling and other alternatives forms of magic and healing.

Oh did I mention frogs?

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Dogberry - 03-27-2015

Iskierka is definitely a witch in need of a coven.

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Rila - 03-27-2015

I'rila the thaumaturge and I'rhaane the conjurer would both be delighted to join.

But you knew that already!

Since we're also brainstorming, here are some ideas off the top of my head for things the coven could do:

-Research magic
-Investigate rumors of magical artifacts (essentially more research, but could make for some fun IC dungeons)
-Run a clinic
-Found Hogwarts
-Open up an expensive matchmaking service to those desperate enough to think that consulting a group of strangers in mysterious robes might just make the difference
-Kidnap the loved ones of Eorzea's richest and extort them for coin
-Summon demons
-Sacrifice virgins
-Eat cake

(03-27-2015, 09:13 AM)Rila Wrote: I'rila the thaumaturge and I'rhaane the conjurer would both be delighted to join.

But you knew that already!

Since we're also brainstorming, here are some ideas off the top of my head for things the coven could do:

-Research magic
-Investigate rumors of magical artifacts (essentially more research, but could make for some fun IC dungeons)
-Run a clinic
-Perform psychic readings
-Found Hogwarts
-Open up an expensive matchmaking service to those desperate enough to think that consulting a group of people in mysterious robes might just make the difference
-Kidnap the loved ones of Eorzea's richest and extort them for coin
-Summon demons
-Sacrifice virgins
-Eat cake

Nebula> "Noooooo!" Flees! "Nooooo!"

Oh and dancing naked.. don't forget dancing naked.. Nebula does it alone, when no one can see and laugh at her. She may also ware a robe, just in case.

Brainstorming! I'll elaborate on what Iskierka's about, then!

Iskierka hunts down voidsent and the cultists that follow them. She banishes the voidsent and burns the cultists. Alive if possible. She was until recently possessed by a voidsent, and has been cursed by another. She studies arcanima and thaumaturgy. She also does a bit of fortune telling, and when Astrologian comes out, she's going for that.

My inspiration for her was "Morrigan from Dragon Age meets Lina Inverse from Slayers" in that she is this very naturalistic "witch of the wilds" kind of witch, but tempered with ambition and drive to obtain the finer things in life. Much more MacBeth than Hocus Pocus.

Here are a few of Nebula's brainstorm ideas
  • Curses.. lots of curses, and the convoluted way to get out of them
  • True love.. kind of goes with curses, but may need a helping hand
  • Healing visits to villages etc.. , lots of strange ailments 
  • Ghosts.. hauntings, bad spirits, good excuse for a seance
  • Something wrong in the fairy kingdom and we have to put it right
  • Potions gone awry and cause unwelcome side effects
  • Chased by an angry mob
  • Rituals, a collective weaving of magics
  • A witch has gone missing, youa re the substitute witch
  • The wrong hat, when you mistakenly get the wrong witches hat and confusion follows

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - FreelanceWizard - 03-27-2015

I think this is a great idea. Smile It's definitely a different approach from Mysterium, whose membership largely takes a more Hermetic (scientific, logical, Arcanist Tongue ) approach to magic.

I think there's definitely the possibility for some cross-group interaction!

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Rila - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 09:58 AM)Nebbs Wrote: The wrong hat, when you mistakenly get the wrong witches hat and confusion follows

I could totally see this happening as a result of some prank. While they're in a meeting someone glamours each hat to look like another, and the glamours dissipate when they each go home. Some unfortunate mage would find themselves wearing I'rila's opaque visor, switched off so they can't see a thing. Could definitely make for some fun.

(03-27-2015, 10:25 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I think this is a great idea. Smile It's definitely a different approach from Mysterium, whose membership largely takes a more Hermetic (scientific, logical, Arcanist Tongue ) approach to magic.

I think there's definitely the possibility for some cross-group interaction!

I love the hermetic approach, too! I have a pretty big collection of hermetic texts, and use quite a bit of influence from that in Iskierka's approach to magic.

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Arelian - 03-27-2015

Dohoho. My weird Duskwight would definitely be interested in something like this. Nigel's still learning quite a bit, but he's beginning to dabble in Voidkin extermination and other Thaumaturgical affairs. 

Blood-based healing is another thing he's beginning to look into! He's not entirely witch/warlock in nature but he'd definitely fit into such a group and would be thrilled to have more people to learn from!

RE: Interest check: Twelveswood-based coven of mages? - Dasair - 03-27-2015

I also think this sounds neat, and my character would definitely be interested too. *u*

While Xavarian is somewhat logically minded, with a decent amount of Aetherical knowledge, he's actually still learning quite a bit about the 'established' disciplines. Most of his past Aetherical practice is actually grounded more in rituals. Though studying as a thaumaturge, he's not encountered anyone else (yet, to his knowledge) who also has much experience in the more 'ritualistic' area, so I'm certain he'd be quite eager to meet and learn from those more inclined that way. uvu

*throws another Weird Duskwight onto the pile*

Bonus points if Iskierka is there too, because my dumb nerd is already SUPER WARY OF HER. ~Potential conflict~

(03-27-2015, 03:36 PM)Dasair Wrote: Bonus points if Iskierka is there too, because my dumb nerd is already SUPER WARY OF HER. ~Potential conflict~

MAGIC IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED TO BURN PEOPLE ALIVE

(03-27-2015, 03:45 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 03:36 PM)Dasair Wrote: Bonus points if Iskierka is there too, because my dumb nerd is already SUPER WARY OF HER.  ~Potential conflict~

Ot make them think they are burning alive, then walk away.. real evil does not look back.

(03-27-2015, 03:50 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 03:45 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 03:36 PM)Dasair Wrote: Bonus points if Iskierka is there too, because my dumb nerd is already SUPER WARY OF HER.  ~Potential conflict~

Ot make them think they are burning alive, then walk away.. real evil does not look back.

But then they'd still be alive, and cultists need to die. Also, fire is pretty and their screaming is funny. Watch the show and laugh!