Hydaelyn Role-Players
[SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=10890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Caspar - 04-02-2015

The main story quest had me going noooooooooooooooooo. Sad
But it was nice for them to stir things up. It was exciting yet frustrating that I could see the setup so far in advance and yet not really see any way your character could avert or suspect it. I'm gonna miss the Sultana. Also poor Tataru. She was too late to give them her good luck charm. This definitely was the Lalafell centric MSQ lol. Some of the expressions Teleji made were ridiculously eeeevil. Also, jeez Yuyuhase has a manly voice. For a moment I thought he was possessed by an Ascian. His fatface was grinning all smugly and I think he's Dunesfolk so he naturally has creepy, possessed-looking eyes. 
I was super happy to be able to 'give back to Ul'dah' in the last Culinarian quest. What the heck would happen if you finished 50 Culinarian after the MSQ?!

It's going to make it awkward to rp through for a while though.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Sounsyy - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 01:43 AM)Kage Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 01:28 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: It may have been brought up already but I can't help but note how the Scion's Echo ability was pushed as something viewed with suspicion, fear and falsely attributed as mind control. I do wonder if that is how many people throughout Eorzea see it as is the case with many things unknown to the masses.

I think that is exactly why in 1.0 (from what I've read and inferred) that Minfilia and Echo was on the hush hush. Echo wasn't really talked about in the open except with other Echo gifted.

Exactly this. In 1.0 the Path of the Twelve (precursors to Scions) was a secret, underground organization run by Minfilia with the goal of finding and protecting people who possessed the Echo while they tried to figure out what it did and why they had the gift. No one outside the organization was allowed to know about the Echo powers for fear of the general public turning against them.

But the Archons were not part of the Path of the Twelve in 1.0 and also do not possess the Echo. In fact, after the 2.0 quest "All Good Things" were the Garleans slaughtered everyone in the Waking Sands, the Player Character and Minfilia are the only known surviving Echo users. So the other Scions are merely guilty by association with you and Minfilia.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Kage - 04-02-2015

Other than the fact it gives our player characters freedom to roam around Ul'dah and Eorzea for 3 months...

I'm trying to figure out what both sides (Monetarist and Royalist) stand to gain from Nanamo's death being covered up. Nanamo's death gives the Syndicate the legitimacy to take complete utter control. Why make it seem as if she is still alive? The Flames/Royalist keeping her alive means you don't actually have death bounty on your head. If it stays a rumour then you can't be taken in so easily. She's ill, not poisoned so...

But what do they gain? What's the reasoning? Not wanting to lose the public court opinion?

I just figured that Telediji was under the impression they all had it. Because of the association. Could also be guilty by association of course.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Seriphyn - 04-02-2015

I know it's a couple pages back but...Merlwyb and Kan-e-Senna leaving the Fragrant Chamber was one of the most awful and amazing shots in that entire scene. The two of them looked like they felt absolutely terrible about it, not to mention powerless...Merlwyb especially with her exasperation of annoyance. She obviously wanted to do something, but their departure was absolutely logical, and that's what makes it even more painful to have watched them just leaving their ally behind.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Sophia_Grave - 04-02-2015

A bit of devil's advocate here: it was alright. No doubt better than what we've gotten so far, but I maintain the stance that the MSQ is still by far the weakest part of the game.

My biggest issue with the MSQ and cutscenes in general is... the horrid cinematography.  It seems an awful, gripe-y complaint, I know, but every time a cutscene flicks on I immediately feel a massive disconnect from whatever is happening. Yes, I know its an MMO with whatever restraints, but its almost painful to watch (and hear) this after literally anything else. Scenes unfold far too slowly, everyone looks like a robot, and for some reason, SE insists on cutting to WoL for 5 seconds just to watch her fire off an emote. Why? Stahp, SE. Please hire someone.

On the upside, some of the lore drops were pretty juicy. I thought the whole Ala Mhigan refugee bit was excellent, especially because it was literally spot on for a running theme of one of my characters. On the other hand, some were... not so great; SE was good with continuity until now, but I can't see the Azure Dragoon thing as anything more than a massive handwaving of the DRG questline. I don't see how the heck they'll cater to both DRGs and nonDRGs without some retconning or some such.

The deaths (or implied deaths) were cool. Its nice to see that the main cadre aren't bulletproof, but the whole staggered self-sacrifices bit was just a bit much. I've seen and played that far too many times :/ Minfy hasn't redeemed herself as a worthwhile character yet, so she probably isn't dead and will likely do something cool in Heavensward. Tiny effeminate Elezen boy is necessary as the 'good side' playmaker, since no one else has a brain. Fortunately, he's slowly growing on me now that he has to face his imperfections and failures of possibly ruining everything.

For now, I'm stuck wondering when LimLo and Grid will get their time to shine, now that Ishgard is pretty much queued up for the forseeable future. Ul'dah is an excellent setting, but at this point it may as well be the capitol of Eorzea. Let's get more of the Shroud being utterly terrifying like it was in 1.0. Or hell, do anything in Limsa that isn't pirates and Primals.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-02-2015

Was it wrong of me to dress up as a Blade when I watched all the cutscenes? Because it really made them feel extra special.

On the topic of what would Ul'dah have to gain from keeping Nanamo's death hush-hush? The facade of stability. Telling the commonpeople that Nanamo is dead would likely start riots. That's not something the monetarists could benefit from.

There's also the possibility that there is some other Ul-line successor that would then have to take over, which would defeat their plans. I suppose we'll learn all about it in 3.0.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Parvacake - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 10:03 AM)Kage Wrote: Other than the fact it gives our player characters freedom to roam around Ul'dah and Eorzea for 3 months...

I'm trying to figure out what both sides (Monetarist and Royalist) stand to gain from Nanamo's death being covered up. Nanamo's death gives the Syndicate the legitimacy to take complete utter control. Why make it seem as if she is still alive? The Flames/Royalist keeping her alive means you don't actually have death bounty on your head. If it stays a rumour then you can't be taken in so easily. She's ill, not poisoned so...

But what do they gain? What's the reasoning? Not wanting to lose the public court opinion?

I just figured that Telediji was under the impression they all had it. Because of the association. Could also be guilty by association of course.
It's implied multiple times throughout the game and from NPCs that the majority loved Nanamo. Majority being the less affluent and more poor part of the society which makes up the bulk of the population. Even the refugees liked her since there was even a FATE in Thanalan where she orders that edible cactus leaves be given to the poor.

Word of her dying would spark a lot of reactions all over. From Sultansworn to the people who loved her and then would raise the question of who would take the throne considering I don't believe there were any actual heirs to the throne or distant relations. I think it would throw things into almost as much chaos deciding an actual leader.

But them pretending that she's just sick makes people not only think she's still alive (and keeps them appeased) but that she approves of what is happening to the other consortiums and the rest of the city as things get chaotic and no word comes from her. It'll lower the public's opinion, or some of them anyways. Though I think it's extra clusterfucky since Lalafell Dickface didn't anticipate being cleaved in half. There goes a major player in the plan.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - K'nahli - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 04:24 AM)Caspar Wrote: Also, jeez Yuyuhase has a manly voice. For a moment I thought he was possessed by an Ascian.

Hahahahaha, yes! His voice was so unexpectedly deep and strange. Had I not been mentally incapacitated by that point then I might have actually laughed at it there and then.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Parth Makeo - 04-02-2015

I am more worried about all the Sultainsworn RPers and how their characters will try to 'hide' this from all other players. God this must be hell for them to try and not spill the beans or even show some sorrow about it in public.

Stay strong my Sultain brothers Sad

-From a Free Paladin

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - K'nahli - 04-02-2015

For things like this, I really think that people who like to RP the MSQ timeline should stay at least one patch behind the current one so that there aren't any inconsistencies later on.
So for right now, people shouldn't go beyond 'Part 1' and treat their RP as though the dragon assault has yet to happen.

Just an opinion of course. I have no idea where my characters are in the MSQ storyline.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Aya - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 01:44 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: I am more worried about all the Sultainsworn RPers and how their characters will try to 'hide' this from all other players. God this must be hell for them to try and not spill the beans or even show some sorrow about it in public.

-From a Free Paladin
They're just as much in the dark as everyone else. I'm not worried about them, really, I think its a nice opportunity for drama and character development. Sometimes these things are unwelcome.. but they're usually interesting Smile

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Erik Mynhier - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 01:56 PM)Aya Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 01:44 PM)Parth Makeo Wrote: I am more worried about all the Sultainsworn RPers and how their characters will try to 'hide' this from all other players. God this must be hell for them to try and not spill the beans or even show some sorrow about it in public.

-From a Free Paladin
They're just as much in the dark as everyone else. I'm not worried about them, really, I think its a nice opportunity for drama and character development. Sometimes these things are unwelcome.. but they're usually interesting Smile

Our Captain says that the scuttle going around is ugly rumors. So he is either in the dark, and so we are, or he knows and is keeping his mouth shut, hence again we don't know.

Any Sworn claiming to know doesn't. And I have a logical reason for that, as I had this talk with "someone" as they said they knew as they were Her Sworn and tried to stop the bad guys. My question to him was.... "And they let you live?" Anyone who ic saw/knew would logically be killed. So unless you want your toon to go out with a blaze of glory...

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Qhora Bajihri - 04-02-2015

How "good" or not I think this batch of story is will depend entirely on who ultimately survives. The more perma-death, the more consequences, the more changes, the better in my book. Give us something to recuperate from. But I can see almost everyone except Adeledji living through it. If the Sultana survives, which is plausible if she pulled a Romeo&Juliet type poison, I think, and did it to herself, which I expected of her from her whole "prayer to the Sultantree, take this cup from me" thing, then she's proved herself wonderfully devious and manipulative, and still leaves significant consequences, but... what a build up to soften with the smothering fluff of 'look who's baaack'.

Cue Raubahn's magitek arm.

I can't remember exactly why, haven't gone back through anything, but my vague recollections tell me Ilberd's status as good guy was questionable from the get-go. They'd set him up as the hero in one scene, and in the next he'd be speaking quietly to someone suspiciously. His flip was an absolute no-brainer, so I was kind of "yawn, next" about that whole deal. I'm still laughing about "Bribery Consortium." That's brilliant!

Alphinaud just made me want to scream and what did you expect to happen, silly boy, but he's supposed to be a kid, so he has that benefit of the doubt from me. Otherwise, I'd be more unrepentantly disappointed in his immediate drop to emo status.

I'm hoping Lolorito and Urianger will have some interesting stuff to come, because otherwise what a waste of Cam Clarke and Gideon Emery. Ha! That's what's really sustaining me to see what comes next. Bring on the bad guys! Tell me what went wrong with their plans. Tell me if it's just communication or actual hand in the bad pie. Tellll meeeee. All my eggs are in their baskets.

I have been destroyed by a game's story before (what Mass Effect 3 did to companion characters had me bawling like a baby, oh my god Moooordinnnn, we will not speak of the rest), but this time, not so much. I'm having such a hard time believing any of it will be permanent. Fingers crossed. Waiting to see. I might have a delayed melting of my hardened heart depending on what develops from here. Or my cynicism might be bolstered to the point that not a single character in this whole story matters because they've all got more plot armor than God.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Uninstalldotexe - 04-02-2015

(04-01-2015, 08:01 PM)K Wrote: How long would you all speculate that the archbishop(or whatever) has been under their influence? And in what ways, if you have any personal theories?

For some reason, I want to think that the Archbishop is probably some Elder Wyrm in disguise. That would be rich.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - mongi291 - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 02:37 PM)Jijiroga Wrote:
(04-01-2015, 08:01 PM)K Wrote: How long would you all speculate that the archbishop(or whatever) has been under their influence? And in what ways, if you have any personal theories?

For some reason, I want to think that the Archbishop is probably some Elder Wyrm in disguise. That would be rich.
Could explain why Estinien is still the Azure Dragoon, even after the Dragoon quests.