Hydaelyn Role-Players
[SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=10890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Desu Nee - 04-29-2015

I have no admin hat but can we please not start sniping at each other.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Kellach Woods - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 07:59 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Ul'dah was the location of the headquarters of the Path of the Twelve, so it was the only city worth staying in. Similar to how Horizon is a major travel point for 2.0.

Dunno how 1.0 worked so these words have no bearing to me. Explain please?

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Warren Castille - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 08:06 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 07:59 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Ul'dah was the location of the headquarters of the Path of the Twelve, so it was the only city worth staying in. Similar to how Horizon is a major travel point for 2.0.

Dunno how 1.0 worked so these words have no bearing to me. Explain please?

Path of the Twelve was the precursor to the Circle of Knowing was the precursor to the Scions of the Seventh Dawn. Ul'dah held the 1.0 equivalent of Waking Sands, so all of your story progression went through the city.

If you were in Grid or Limsa, you had to constantly report back to Ul'dah to get anything done anyway, so most people just relocated.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - FreelanceWizard - 04-29-2015

*eyes thread*

Seriously, people. Watch your tone. We can disagree about Ul'dah and people's opinions of it without yelling at each other. Saying someone sounds like a prick is not productive and is more likely to start a fight than anything else.

It's troubling to me that after that whole thread about not being so aggressive, this is now the third one of these posts I've had to make in the last few days. Cry

#magicAdminHat

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - V'aleera - 04-29-2015

(04-29-2015, 07:44 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I disagree with the whole "Eorzea needs saving from itself". It's one city, filled with assholes, that have always been assholes (Hildibrand Quest finale) that deserve nothing but to be eradicated from the map as they bring forth nothing of actual value to anyone other than Lolorito.
I wouldn't say that I want Ul'dah to be eradicated.

But I also wouldn't shed too many tears if the fragile society of their own making collapsed all around them.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Seriphyn - 04-30-2015

I know it's super-cool to hate on Ul'dah (perhaps some of us prefer black&white morality), but just a reminder Ul'dah is the only city-state in Eorzea where a complete outsider can reach the highest echelons of society.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - TheLastCandle - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 02:33 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: I know it's super-cool to hate on Ul'dah (perhaps some of us prefer black&white morality), but just a reminder Ul'dah is the only city-state in Eorzea where a complete outsider can reach the highest echelons of society.

Mm, more than a little disingenuous for anyone who's paid attention to the lore to try to say this with a straight face. The grey areas are less pronounced, less in your face in Gridania, perhaps, but they're absolutely on display front and center in Limsa.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Seriphyn - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 02:50 AM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 02:33 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: I know it's super-cool to hate on Ul'dah (perhaps some of us prefer black&white morality), but just a reminder Ul'dah is the only city-state in Eorzea where a complete outsider can reach the highest echelons of society.

Mm, more than a little disingenuous for anyone who's paid attention to the lore to try to say this with a straight face. The grey areas are less pronounced, less in your face in Gridania, perhaps, but they're absolutely on display front and center in Limsa.

It is a snipe, yeah. It's just tiresome to hear the "lol Ul'dah sux" thing because it's put right in your face when all of them are shitty. A Gridanian conjurer refuses to heal a 12 y/o girl because "the Elementals said so". Ishgard is terrible to live in if you're not a noble, and it is clear in 3.0 it will be possibly revealed to be the case they are not so innocent with the Dragonsong War. Meanwhile, Limsa Lominsa is made of pirates...actual historical pirates who rape and pillage and all that.

So I don't know what on earth people are talking about when they do the 'Ul'dah sux' thing. Yes, we know. The story is all about that right now.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Leanne - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 03:23 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:

It is a snipe, yeah. It's just tiresome to hear the "lol Ul'dah sux" thing because it's put right in your face when all of them are shitty. A Gridanian conjurer refuses to heal a 12 y/o girl because "the Elementals said so". Ishgard is terrible to live in if you're not a noble, and it is clear in 3.0 it will be possibly revealed to be the case they are not so innocent with the Dragonsong War. Meanwhile, Limsa Lominsa is made of pirates...actual historical pirates who rape and pillage and all that.

So I don't know what on earth people are talking about when they do the 'Ul'dah sux' thing. Yes, we know. The story is all about that right now.

I'd say this is simply product of the current state of affairs. No other nation besides Ul'dah has shown their guts so deeply yet, or has been as 'villainized'. For all we've -seen-, Gridania and Limsa Lominsa have their quirks, but they also have fairly stabilized government bodies and nations, whose problems comes more often from the outside than the inside.

Ul'dah now...has shown to have a deeply corrupted 'police' body that would be the blades (police being used very very loosely), a nation divided between two starkly different sides and a system that was supposed to lift those who deserves it up the ladder is also being abused by those already rich to keep themselves up there while pushing down some of those still climbing up. Yes, that happens too in real life, it doesn't make it any less ugly.

The 'evil' side (to have a mentality of a monetarist isn't evil, problem is, seems like the monetarists are mostly filled with scumbags) also bought what was to be the Eorzea's salvation army (The Crystal Braves), incapacitated the two more influential royalists(Raubahn and Sultana herself) and then chased away the Scions and the Warrior of Light, the ones that tend to clean up everyone's messy mess.

My point is...does Gridania and Limsa have ugly sides? Absolutely, perhaps some we couldn't even have seen yet. But no ugly side has been explored and 'uglified' more than Ul'dah's so far. So the current hate Ul'dah is getting, if anything, is mostly fair.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Chris Ganale - 04-30-2015

I'm sorry, but refusing to heal a child because some holier-than-thou, blue-and-orange morality abstract 'gods' said so is going to always trump dick-move political machinations in my book as far as douchebaggery is concerned.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Kellach Woods - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 03:23 AM)Seriphyn Wrote: It is a snipe, yeah. It's just tiresome to hear the "lol Ul'dah sux" thing because it's put right in your face when all of them are shitty. A Gridanian conjurer refuses to heal a 12 y/o girl because "the Elementals said so". Ishgard is terrible to live in if you're not a noble, and it is clear in 3.0 it will be possibly revealed to be the case they are not so innocent with the Dragonsong War. Meanwhile, Limsa Lominsa is made of pirates...actual historical pirates who rape and pillage and all that.

If that's the only thing you have against Limsa you haven't paid attention to the plot either - Limsa's problems aren't "derp pirates", in fact the only times unsanctioned pirates cause problems, the problems get resolved after plotlines (ROG 1-30, ACN 30, Dance quest). The structure of the Yellowjackets/Mealvaan's Gate actually functions for policing the city decently.

Much more than, say, the Brass Blades can police the Alacran, considering that the guilds themselves end up doing more than the BBs when it comes to the Alacran. (Before you say you just mentioned the guilds doing that in Limsa, ROG is a race vs. the Maelstrom to stop a plot and for their guild's survival, so the Maelstrom are involved, and Arcanists are part of the city's policing as per the early quests of ACN, where you essentially inspect crates for illegal goods and balance books~ THAT'S RIGHT THEY'RE MAGIC ACCOUNTANTS)

Limsa's problems is that they have absolutely zero respect for treaties they themselves signed, and endangered the entirety of Vylbrand by forcing the hand of the Kobolds in summoning Titan. You know, A HUGE PORTION OF THE MSQ? ONE THAT IS EVEN BROUGHT UP BY Y'SHTOLA RIGHT IN THE FACE OF MERLWYB?

Gridania being racist fucks in addition to slaves of the Elementals is pretty danged bad, true. I've said it numerous times that they should make a plotline based on that. They probably can't because they'd need to make lines that checked for :
- Whether the adventurer started in Gridania
- Whether the adventurer is a Duskwight/Keeper of the Moon/Highlander
- Grand Company status
- MSQ status

With Ishgard being the focus I'm pretty sure they'll be introducing something in Gridania that'll make it just as bad. Probably something like the Elementals are now dead and Gridania is completely fucked without them. It just won't be centered on Gridanian racism/xenophobia which is the problem for that city. Like, it's easy to make a plotline based on greed in Ul'dah - just gotta make a villain willing to fuck over the whole continent for a few gil more. (2.4, 2.5 patch cycles)

Making a plotline on how Gridanian racism screwed over the entire Alliance? Gonna be a tiny bit harder and involve making characters that are as well received as G'raha Tia. Or as I've heard him called, G'raha Sue, Gary Tia, etc.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - TheLastCandle - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 03:23 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:

I hear ya. Soon enough, though, the threads will be all about how Ishgard is a verifiably evil nation that doesn't respect Tumblr's diversity at all. So you should look forward to the respite!

In all seriousness, though, ever since 1.0 the Main Scenario has kind of focused on Ul'dah Thanalan, mostly out of necessity considering the Path of the Twelve/Waking Sands taking center stage. Villainy abounds in the Shroud and La Noscea as well, no doubt, and hopefully we'll see a little more of it in the patches to come.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Kage - 04-30-2015

I personally like Ul'dah a lot, but the reason it gets so much is because the game focuses a lot into it. Soon it'll be the next city-state of the patch.

I want to light all of Gridania on fire but that's just me.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Crisiet - 04-30-2015

(04-30-2015, 11:10 AM)Kage Wrote: I want to light all of Gridania on fire but that's just me.

It's not just you, trust me.

RE: [SPOILERS not hidden in SPOILERS] 2.55 Before the Fall Part 2 - Blue - 04-30-2015

[Image: 141.gif]

Oh well, it looked like a nice thread on page 1.