Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fundraising RP Events - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fundraising RP Events (/showthread.php?tid=10926)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Warren Castille - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 08:24 PM)Faye Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 08:21 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Last one I went to saw a married guy sell for four million gil in a bidding war that lasted like, twenty minutes. I don't know, you tell me why people might be interested in participating.

But good sir Valpal is worth every penny :v

I don't disagree. But all it takes it one of the Populars to show up and kaching kaching, ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling.

Again, an alternative that doesn't offer a gross of millions isn't an alternative.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Kellach Woods - 04-02-2015

It depends on what's your priority, really.

If your priority is getting a house fast, then yeah. Date auction, con get a few people well-known on the server who has good connections who don't give a hoot about spending gil, and offer them like pieces of meat.

You'll rake in some huge donations, around 100k gil per for the bigger names, and the rest of the chaff are just excesses.

If your priority is making an entertaining event, then you know, don't fucking do that and instead concentrate on making a good event first, then wondering about monetization after.

'cause let's be real here - what we are talking about is monetizing RP.

(04-02-2015, 08:50 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It depends on what's your priority, really.

If your priority is getting a house fast, then yeah. Date auction, con get a few people well-known on the server who has good connections who don't give a hoot about spending gil, and offer them like pieces of meat.

You'll rake in some huge donations, around 100k gil per for the bigger names, and the rest of the chaff are just excesses.

If your priority is making an entertaining event, then you know, don't fucking do that and instead concentrate on making a good event first, then wondering about monetization after.

I've only heard of these things being used for housing. Don't know where they're buying them from, but that's what I've seen claimed.

Moneymaking ventures disguised as events are sort of the issue here, not necessarily the events themselves.

(04-02-2015, 08:53 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I've only heard of these things being used for housing. Don't know where they're buying them from, but that's what I've seen claimed.

I've only heard of one where that did not immediately happen and OOC drama happened immediately after the auction, which is why the money put forward was not used.

(Of course, I'm not super into the community and FCs and shit so I can only speak of personal experience)

Typically, it's money that'll be set aside for that purpose if new plots open up, or if someone is selling and they have enough money. With the prices people are selling at, it's a market incredibly unfavorable to the buyer.

As such, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some people are waiting until Heavensward hits to see if some plots won't free up.

(04-02-2015, 06:29 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I want to see someone do a talk show. They can bring in some people from the forums for interviews and be all nitty griddy like 'Oh Warren, so I hear *host waggles brows* you are quite a ladies' man?'

Crowd of women swoon in background

Not exactly the same thing, but this sounds somewhat familiar!

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Val - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 08:50 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: It depends on what's your priority, really.

For the record, no one came to me about the event in question that I had signed up for. I simply had nothing to do that day and decided I'd go. They literally RPed with me an hour or so before to get the information and it was really just last minute stuff. I didn't expect to make that much, nor did I really go out of my way to tell people I was going or anything. I just.. kind of showed up for the gathering before in order to meet some people (which I did, and it was a lot of fun). Everything that happened after was a.. pleasant surprise.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Seye Qhesu - 04-02-2015

Going back to the talkshow thing; I think having guests such as people who run events (Warren is a major one and Faye) would be good. It will allow them to promote their event ingame! Brianna, however, is no talk show host. She would just tell everyone to shut up or punch her guests. Anyone is free to use this idea!

edit: Warren, I totally didn't see that. Now it just needs to be applied with a makeover segment and I'm golden :3

(04-02-2015, 09:12 PM)Val Wrote:

For the record, no one came to me about the event in question that I had signed up for. I simply had nothing to do that day and decided I'd go. They literally RPed with me an hour or so before to get the information and it was really just last minute stuff. I didn't expect to make that much, nor did I really go out of my way to tell people I was going or anything. I just.. kind of showed up for the gathering before in order to meet some people (which I did, and it was a lot of fun). Everything that happened after was a.. pleasant surprise.

I didn't mean to imply anything negative if that's how it sounded: You're the most recent big-ticket person I can think of.

I think that's exactly the draw, though. Hold event for gil, hope someone popular shows up.

...not that I'm trying to make it sound like the folks running only have money on the brain. It just makes the most business sense to "go viral" and make a shit ton of cash from the folks who'll bring it. Cast your net out and hope you get some huge fish.

(04-02-2015, 09:12 PM)Val Wrote: For the record, no one came to me about the event in question that I had signed up for. I simply had nothing to do that day and decided I'd go. They literally RPed with me an hour or so before to get the information and it was really just last minute stuff. I didn't expect to make that much, nor did I really go out of my way to tell people I was going or anything. I just.. kind of showed up for the gathering before in order to meet some people (which I did, and it was a lot of fun). Everything that happened after was a.. pleasant surprise.

I know what happened and more importantly why it happened the way it did. You would have been in the 100ks if Gwannes/Black Jack hadn't showed up to just stir some shit IC and hilarious though it was it took the wind out of that event.

I've nothing against anyone doing it nor you for accepting - my priority is more that the event is fun for all involved and when that went down, I can tell ya it wasn't fun for me. First because it took forever to resolve (25 minutes is just straight up too long for a single bid) and second because... what do you do after you've been outright rejected by everyone there? You can throw a hissy fit, but first it wouldn't be IC for Kell to be doing that and second it'd be an obvious case of OOC/IC blending. I DID try to stick it out after that but it was essentially... boring. Barely anyone to engage (not the type to blindly barge into a group unless I'm given a reason to do it through text!) and at the same time thinking that if they hadn't put forth money I should probably not bother them much.

A lot of the other ideas are interesting as events first and possible monetization second. Date auctions are about dat money first and attendees' enjoyment second.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Meena - 04-02-2015

Once again i'll bring up that the variety in events is severely lacking. its all.. samey. 

I don't know why the reason this is, but it is sort of like events on FFXIV are like being colorblind. People only see blue and red but fully miss out on seeing yellow by only planning or attending events that are 'social'. 

A big reason why i don't participate is because in GW2 I was -sick- of all the balls, all the auctions all the stupid social gatherings that had no other intention other than for people to show up and act snooty. Seriously?

I have to admit to the same.

Social events are better when they don't follow the same niche.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Val - 04-02-2015

(04-02-2015, 09:14 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 09:12 PM)Val Wrote:

I didn't mean to imply anything negative if that's how it sounded: You're the most recent big-ticket person I can think of.

I think that's exactly the draw, though. Hold event for gil, hope someone popular shows up.

...not that I'm trying to make it sound like the folks running only have money on the brain. It just makes the most business sense to "go viral" and make a shit ton of cash from the folks who'll bring it. Cast your net out and hope you get some huge fish.

No, that's okay =) And I totally understand the draw of it. It's not hard to see someone wanting to make a quick buck (or gil in this instance). In fact, it's pretty obvious. 

I'd personally like to see a lot more events that aren't based on getting rich quick and instead just to RP/hang with others, like what Erik is doing with his ball (though I'll unfortunately be missing it due to having an out-of-town competition to go to). But yeah, Warren, you have a good point =) I just wish it wasn't so prevalent lately.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Maril - 04-03-2015

(04-02-2015, 09:50 PM)Val Wrote: I'd personally like to see a lot more events that aren't based on getting rich quick and instead just to RP/hang with others, like what Erik is doing with his ball (though I'll unfortunately be missing it due to having an out-of-town competition to go to). But yeah, Warren, you have a good point =) I just wish it wasn't so prevalent lately.

I'd encourage you to come along to the sunny seaside bar tomorrow. I've attended three of them and it's been rather casual with a bit of entertainment, very relaxing type RP in a space where people can spread out as well, so it's not so intense on the chatspam ^^ Nice environment for meeting new people.  It's a bit early for some of the Americans but if you're around it might be some of what you're looking for Smile

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Flickering Ember - 04-03-2015

(04-02-2015, 08:53 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Moneymaking ventures disguised as events are sort of the issue here, not necessarily the events themselves.

I agree with this. Date auctions are pretty common in other MMO's but they usually only happen in preparation for an event or holiday. They only seem to be a big deal here because of how huge and desirable a money sink housing is.

Other than that though, there aren't really any events that make use of in game currency. Other MMO communities don't really do that sort of thing. (The only exception I can think of would be bazaar like events, but the in game currency goes to the sellers, not the event holders) I think it would just be better to stop altogether and make events that don't specifically seek to make a profit.

Unless you have already given up, pretty much everyone wants a house. If we really want to give back to the community, we could start by ensuring old houses get into role players' hands instead of selling them. However, that has already been discussed in another thread and it would seem that the community is adamant in continuing this practice.

This thread could really apply to events in general. As it is common for the same type of events to be held. What others need to understand, though, is that holding events can be tough and really, to be honest, the social events are just easier. I believe it is a good idea to try and brainstorm new ideas that others can use for events. Just keep in mind that it can take a considerable amount of effort to make a server wide event.

The last thing I will say is that I think there is only really one more type of fundraising events that can be explored: some type of lottery, which has already been brought up. Although, such a thing would need to be made more desirable, such as adding more rewarding RP opportunities and making sure that the odds to win aren't too slim.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Cato - 04-03-2015

I'm just going to be honest and state outright that I very rarely attend major events. Even those that are well orchestrated tend to be very difficult to follow, chaotic and often full to bursting with too many people for everybody to get a fair chance at being in the spotlight.

So with the idea that 'big names' should show up as well it often risks turning into a weird personality cult around the same lucky few whether they like it or not. Much like many of the threads on this very site, really.

I also agree that there needs to be more variety (particularly stuff that's more friendly to those of us in the various European time-zones) and more small events that are geared to a specific set of individuals on a first come, first served basis.

I quite like the idea of a talk show/IC newspaper that approaches 1-3 members of the community every week to compile some IC and OOC information to serve as plot hooks and give a more 'human' feel to various individuals. My main concern is that all too often those who organise such things tend to just grab their friends or anyone perceived as popular and then when they run out they just stop taking the initiative to find fresh blood.