Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fundraising RP Events - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fundraising RP Events (/showthread.php?tid=10926)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Aya - 04-03-2015

(04-02-2015, 09:45 PM)Meena Wrote: A big reason why i don't participate is because in GW2 I was -sick- of all the balls, all the auctions all the stupid social gatherings that had no other intention other than for people to show up and act snooty. Seriously?
Most of the hosted events I see around here are bar and beach stuff... not exactly snooty Smile

We get the balls as a fun alternative, they're rare enough that I haven't been able to attend one yet.

As for social events.. well.. yeah. MMORP is a social thing. There's a sidebar discussion somewhere about action/adventure RP and how to find it, and generally speaking, big events are not the place for it.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 11:06 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: I'm just going to be honest and state outright that I very rarely attend major events. Even those that are well orchestrated tend to be very difficult to follow, chaotic and often full to bursting with too many people for everybody to get a fair chance at being in the spotlight.

So with the idea that 'big names' should show up as well it often risks turning into a weird personality cult around the same lucky few whether they like it or not. Much like many of the threads on this very site, really.

I also agree that there needs to be more variety (particularly stuff that's more friendly to those of us in the various European time-zones) and more small events that are geared to a specific set of individuals on a first come, first served basis.

I quite like the idea of a talk show/IC newspaper that approaches 1-3 members of the community every week to compile some IC and OOC information to serve as plot hooks and give a more 'human' feel to various individuals. My main concern is that all too often those who organise such things tend to just grab their friends or anyone perceived as popular and then when they run out they just stop taking the initiative to find fresh blood.

So...basically this?

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=9567

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Warren Castille - 04-03-2015

/em puts on his snooty dick-shaped hat.

So far, I'm seeing a lot of ideas from people on what they want to see in events, and besides the Murder Mystery thing, not a single person lifting a finger to actually do anything. As someone who's ostensibly an event planner somehow with the Grindstone, it's frustrating to read vague criticism that might be leveraged at the show I'm running by people who don't attend. Not showing up because you don't like the premise/theme/time/whatever is one thing, but going full hipster and saying you don't go because the Populars run it or attend is something entirely different.

/em removes the dick hat.

Running an event is a lot of work. People who are inexperienced in doing so can very quickly become overwhelmed, which torpedoes a gathering faster than mass-disconnects will. It's not surprising to see the easiest and "laziest" way out for folks not used to running something for fifty people at once.

There's an argument to be made that, if that's the case, maybe those people shouldn't be running events for fifty or more people. The issue is that there's no easier way for a nobody to make gil hand over fist, which was the precedent set. Making 12,000,000 gil an hour for doing some /y and collecting the money is a pretty sweet gig, and people know it can be done. Even if it was lightning in a bottle, the premise isn't going anywhere.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Erik Mynhier - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 11:15 AM)Aya Wrote:
(04-02-2015, 09:45 PM)Meena Wrote: A big reason why i don't participate is because in GW2 I was -sick- of all the balls, all the auctions all the stupid social gatherings that had no other intention other than for people to show up and act snooty. Seriously?
Most of the hosted events I see around here are bar and beach stuff... not exactly snooty Smile

We get the balls as a fun alternative, they're rare enough that I haven't been able to attend one yet.

As for social events.. well.. yeah. MMORP is a social thing. There's a sidebar discussion somewhere about action/adventure RP and how to find it, and generally speaking, big events are not the place for it.

Royal Ball of Ul'dah - April 10th
[Image: ApIweey.jpg]

Sorry.... anyway. Yeah events are great but they take a year or so to stabilize in mmo's. Either they become a nice spice to the rp, or they become overblown and to much. That said a game is only as fresh as we let it be. Some may be content with long established events, and those events may feel threatened but we have to be open to new events as well as events that do what a longstanding event did, but better. Event Free Market lol.

(04-03-2015, 11:29 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: Yeah events are great but they take a year or so to stabilize in mmo's. Either they become a nice spice to the rp, or they become overblown and to much.

Tell that to Jancis, who's been running an excellent monthly event for only a few months. It's been gangbusters from the door.

Tell that to OS+R's tavern nights, HoD's tavern nights, and the beach party.

I'm not sure where you got your timetable from. Well-run events are well-run. Poorly-run events might become well-run, or they die.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Cato - 04-03-2015

Running an event is a lot of work, true - though I think it's pretty ignorant to assume that just because someone isn't posting about events on this site they're not making them in-game. I myself distanced myself from creating public events/role-playing guilds because after doing it for years back in WoW a lot of the fun ended up being sucked out of the experience.

So when I do do such things it's usually for a handful of individuals that my character has gotten to know in-game which allows me to indulge in what I enjoy best: role-play with a heavy focus on character interaction and development rather than a stereotypical social event where people just sort of mingle with each other. I get my dose of that elsewhere so attending such gatherings consistently would make them very stale for me.

Besides, if people do make events they shouldn't be doing it for recognition in my eyes or even assume that everybody should clap their hands and cheer them on as community heroes. That's not to say that their efforts shouldn't be appreciated, of course, but the role-playing community is much larger than what this site reflects and there's usually all sorts of things going on that aren't really mentioned here.

On a side note, you don't need to be a chef to criticise/discuss a meal either. There's countless reasons as to why someone isn't making an event themselves (including being in a completely different timezone to the majority of the community) so I don't think their opinions should be viewed with contempt just because they're not making any events themselves.

That's exactly the sort of attitude that turned a lot of fun events back in WoW into a very sour experience involving blatant ego stroking rather than providing enjoyable role-play for everybody who showed up.

(04-03-2015, 11:06 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: My main concern is that all too often those who organise such things tend to just grab their friends or anyone perceived as popular and then when they run out they just stop taking the initiative to find fresh blood.

(04-03-2015, 11:38 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: So when I do do such things it's usually for a handful of individuals that my character has gotten to know in-game which allows me to indulge in what I enjoy best: role-play with a heavy focus on character interaction and development rather than a stereotypical social event where people just sort of mingle with each other. I get my dose of that elsewhere so attending such gatherings consistently would make them very stale for me.

I want you to reread what you've written and then explain to my why it's okay when you do it.

(04-03-2015, 11:37 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 11:29 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: Yeah events are great but they take a year or so to stabilize in mmo's. Either they become a nice spice to the rp, or they become overblown and to much.

Tell that to Jancis, who's been running an excellent monthly event for only a few months. It's been gangbusters from the door.

I'm not sure where you got your timetable from. Well-run events are well-run. Poorly-run events might become well-run, or they die.

Not A event man, I said EVENTS. It takes about a year for regular events to start popping up on a server of a new game. When a game launches or relaunches it takes rp a bit of time to cement. Sure some does before others, but I'm talking like the overall server. No need to get upset man. Just adding my two cents. I have nothing against your GS man.

(04-03-2015, 11:43 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

Not A event man, I said EVENTS. It takes about a year for regular events to start popping up on a server of a new game. When a game launches or relaunches it takes rp a bit of time to cement. Sure some does before others, but I'm talking like the overall server. No need to get upset man. Just adding my two cents. I have nothing against your GS man.

Well don't I look like an asshole! Sorry for the mix-up, keep on keepin' on.

/em puts the dick hat back on, I guess.

(04-03-2015, 11:44 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 11:43 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

Well don't I look like an asshole! Sorry for the mix-up, keep on keepin' on.

/em puts the dick hat back on, I guess.

No worries bro, we still buddies.
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Cato - 04-03-2015

(04-03-2015, 11:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 11:06 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: My main concern is that all too often those who organise such things tend to just grab their friends or anyone perceived as popular and then when they run out they just stop taking the initiative to find fresh blood.

(04-03-2015, 11:38 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: So when I do do such things it's usually for a handful of individuals that my character has gotten to know in-game which allows me to indulge in what I enjoy best: role-play with a heavy focus on character interaction and development rather than a stereotypical social event where people just sort of mingle with each other. I get my dose of that elsewhere so attending such gatherings consistently would make them very stale for me.

I want you to reread what you've written and then explain to my why it's okay when you do it.

I think you're reading too deeply into what I posted. In my case I was stating a preference for the sort of role-play I enjoy organising the most. I was specifically referring to private events between friends in my case - whilst my criticism was directed at public events that are simply glorified fan-wanks for the same select few individuals.

That might not even be the intention behind them but as I've said in other threads that often is how it feels from the perspective of someone looking in from the outside. In short, I think if people are going to organise some sort of interview/newspaper it needs to have a healthy mix of unknown and known people.

(04-03-2015, 11:51 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote:
(04-03-2015, 11:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

I think you're reading too deeply into what I posted. In my case I was stating a preference for the sort of role-play I enjoy organising the most. I was specifically referring to private events between friends in my case - whilst my criticism was directed at public events that are simply glorified fan-wanks for the same select few individuals.

That might not even be the intention behind them but as I've said in other threads that often is how it feels from the perspective of someone looking in from the outside. In short, I think if people are going to organise some sort of interview/newspaper it needs to have a healthy mix of unknown and known people. Otherwise it's just a recipe for drama and another route to making yet another thread about the same group of role-players.

Most of the perceived "fan wanking" though isn't done intentionally - As established, most of the Populars who show up to date auctions do so of their own volition, and word spreads and money gets made. The recurring social events aren't done with self-congratulation in mind, they're done as mingle spots or to serve a specific purpose (I can only speak for the Grindstone, which is a completely RNG-based writing exercise with a paltry sum of gil at the end).

I understand completely how it might look, and I understand completely how the worry about things turning incredibly insular would be warranted, but I don't think there's any sort of malevolence or vapid shallowness to anybody stepping up to run something. Everyone wants to host a successful event, but that's not the same as wanting recognition for running a successful event. I think sometimes your concern with people intentionally circling the wagons is preemptive.

In my limited experience, I've never seen a public event make the uncool kids wait outside in the rain while the friends of the leader got to have all the fun. Maybe I'm just lucky, though.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - ArmachiA - 04-03-2015

My guild has been actually considering doing a Murder Mystery night for the server for awhile now, but as it turns out, thinking of running a large scale event like that (Which is usually like, 10 people tops IRL) is extremely difficult. I've thought about driving up to the Stanley Hotel (About 30 minutes from me) and asking how they do it, since they put on a huge Murder Mystery Party every Halloween.

Then, once you get the logistics of guests down, you gotta write the thing, get people to play the parts, figure out a way to toss around clues.

It's definitely a lot harder than "Tavern Night" or "Date Auction." for what could be far less gain (Kind of niche, maybe people won't even show up!)

You fall back on the things you know bring people and are easy to plan because... it brings people and is easy to plan.

Date Auctions are ridiculously popular - Hell the Night Blades threw one just for us in order to raise money for Airships (We didn't think it was fair to take outsiders money for that) - and raised 3 million in a night. It's ridiculously profitable and it's EASY to set up. The temptation is obviously going to be there to use that as a resource.

RE: Fundraising RP Events - Seye Qhesu - 04-03-2015

I am feeling as if this thread is starting to stray away from the original purpose. I am all for discussions on why someone may or may not like an event but the thread was originally made to brainstorm new ideas for events.  So with that. ..

Allagan digging expedition?  Good for scholars, mercs, thieves,  etc.

(04-03-2015, 12:18 PM)Brianna Dunham Wrote: I am feeling as if this thread is starting to stray away from the original purpose. I am all for discussions on why someone may or may not like an event but the thread was originally made to brainstorm new ideas for events.  So with that. ..

Allagan digging expedition?  Good for scholars, mercs, thieves,  etc.

Depends, something of that nature could quickly resemble a faux-tabletop session. This again comes to events being a lot of effort if they don't naturally progress without input from someone in the GM role. That's the wide allure of balls and auctions and the sort - All you need to do is set things in motion, then tell people to stop at intervals.

The Murder Mystery sounds like a lot of fun, though. I imagine with a good group it would be pretty awesome matching wits and catching scoundrels, or perhaps just getting away with murder.

The talk show idea (that I've already prodded someone about) could be pretty neat too, as long as it didn't turn into one clique's soap box.

IC chocobo races are certainly a possibility. Station people at the Sultan Tree, one at the Aetheryte and one near the zoneline and force people to open trade windows at each one, then see who returns fastest to the finish line. Like a checkpoint system. Let people bet on themselves and increase the bet between rounds? "10k says I hit all three checkpoints first."

Of course, none of these will make money, which is also not the point of a Fundraising idea. If people want to profit from RP...

Well, that's difficult outside of the already-successful angles. You can't auction stuff off because the AH exists. You can't charge a premium for entry and split a pot (anyone want to run a Grindstone night where you all need to pony up 200k to enter? I thought as much).

Ultimately, these are two different discussions.