Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial slurs? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial slurs? (/showthread.php?tid=10949)

Pages: 1 2 3

Racial slurs? - Meishali - 04-04-2015

Hello, I'm Meishali, and welcome to "make politically incorrect threads TODAY".

I tried to look a bit into this but I didn't find much information + I am still new to the game so I am trying to avoid spoilers... So wiki research is a bit risky for me atm in general. 
I've done some people watching today and yesterday and I've seen several little comments on racial features (miqo'te ears, hyur's height compared to a lalafell's etc.). Some were taken as "cute titles" or gentle remarks, other were, in context, meant to be insults. 

Are there any in-lore known slurs? By that I mean... Like, actual quest givers of y race referring to x race in a rude/good manner using something other than the clan name or the race name. 

What is considered rude? What's not? Does it just depends on the characters way to take it? Maybe they don't really exist and what I read yesterday & today was a mirage?

Also, how often do races mix to do kids? What is usually the offspring like?

Enlighten me, veterans!

RE: Racial slurs? - Bryn - 04-04-2015

The Midlanders insult the Highlanders by saying that their mothers were Sea Wolves.

RE: Racial slurs? - Domri Blackblade - 04-04-2015

- Wildwoods are called "greens" by the Duskwights.
- Duskwights are called "greys", "duskies", or "dusties".
- Keepers are called "poachers" and "savages" (Ty, Knight Kat).
- Miqo'te are called "cats".
- Midlanders say to Highlanders things along the lines of, "Your mother is a roegadyn."
- Elezen are "knife-ears."

Some I know. Watch for edits as more pop up.

EDIT:

Beastmen:

- Sahagin: "Scalebacks"; "Fishbacks" (Gracias, Flynt bb)
- Kobolds: "Rats", "Mecky cave dogs" (Thanks Berrod!)

RE: Racial slurs? - Berrod Armstrong - 04-04-2015

"Mecky cave dogs" for Kobolds as well.

Also, to answer your other question about race mixing, I am under the impression that halfbreeds are a rarity and not something everyone would be used to seeing. It's also my understanding that even dating outside of your race is frowned upon in general through a quest , the name of which I cannot remember off of the top of my head.

I could be wrong though.

I know Domri as a character frowns upon it. (A bit hypocritically.)

RE: Racial slurs? - Bryn - 04-04-2015

(04-04-2015, 06:12 PM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: Also, to answer your other question about race mixing, I am under the impression that halfbreeds are a rarity and not something everyone would be used to seeing. It's also my understanding that even dating outside of your race is frowned upon in general through a quest , the name of which I cannot remember off of the top of my head.

I could be wrong though.

I know Domri as a character frowns upon it. (A bit hypocritically.)

The quest which unlocks Wanderer's Palace Hard features a gay couple - a Highlander man and a Miqo'te. Amusingly, the quest makes much of the prejudice the two have faced for being together, but stresses their racial difference over their shared gender.

RE: Racial slurs? - Virella - 04-04-2015

Don´t know any slurs at the moment, but. Interracial relationships apparently force people to leave their birthplaces, so uh, I can answer you that at least! People are racist.

As for half-breeds? They are super rare due to this.

So uuuh. Yea. Prepare for lots of racism if you go for either of those two. Even more so then normal interaction between races. People will hate your guts.

(04-04-2015, 06:13 PM)Bryn Wrote: The quest which unlocks Wanderer's Palace Hard features a gay couple - a Highlander man and a Miqo'te. Amusingly, the quest makes much of the prejudice the two have faced for being together, but stresses their racial difference over their shared gender.

Yes, thank you! Virella was the one who actually enlightened me to this, too!

RE: Racial slurs? - Meishali - 04-04-2015

(04-04-2015, 06:14 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Prepare for lots of racism if you go for either of those two. Even more so then normal interaction between races. People will hate your guts.

I'm merely thinking about how my character would react to such displays, I wouldn't dare launching myself in such things, I have too little knowledge for something more complicated than Lu rn. :')

Thank you for your super fast input everyone in any case!

(04-04-2015, 06:18 PM)Meishali Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 06:14 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Prepare for lots of racism if you go for either of those two. Even more so then normal interaction between races. People will hate your guts.

I'm merely thinking about how my character would react to such displays, I wouldn't dare launching myself in such things, I have too little knowledge for something more complicated than Lu rn. :')

Har har, hating on them is way much more fun in any case, I can tell you that with Virella here.

... she's absolute scum towards that interracial couple. But... it is really fun roleplay!

(04-04-2015, 06:18 PM)Meishali Wrote: I'm merely thinking about how my character would react to such displays, I wouldn't dare launching myself in such things, I have too little knowledge for something more complicated than Lu rn. :')

Glad to help!
(I also just discovered your art. Terrible artist, my butt.)

RE: Racial slurs? - Meishali - 04-04-2015

(04-04-2015, 06:25 PM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: Glad to help!

I changed it just for you. Please appease the butt. Sad

(04-04-2015, 06:24 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Har har, hating on them is way much more fun in any case, I can tell you that with Virella here.

... she's absolute scum towards that interracial couple. But... it is really fun roleplay!

Conflict makes RP in my opinion, so we're on the same wavelength! People agreeing on everything or goody two shoes aren't less worthy than any other type of character, but it's true that opinionated characters are much more down-to-earth and realistic in such settings.

(04-04-2015, 06:38 PM)Meishali Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 06:25 PM)Domri Blackblade Wrote: Glad to help!

I changed it just for you. Please appease the butt. Sad

(04-04-2015, 06:24 PM)Virella Douront Wrote: Har har, hating on them is way much more fun in any case, I can tell you that with Virella here.

Conflict makes RP in my opinion, so we're on the same wavelength! People agreeing on everything or goody two shoes aren't less worthy than any other type of character, but it's true that opinionated characters are much more down-to-earth and realistic in such settings.

Oh I quite agree with that! Racism is one of the major issues within Eorzea after all, and I love it when people include it into their roleplay. Some subtle jabs to straight out in your face racism, I love it all.

That's uuh... why I roleplay an Ishgardian for!

RE: Racial slurs? - Meena - 04-04-2015

Have to remember - until the calamity (Dalamud thing) Most people lived away from large city centers to avoid racial tensions. Hyurs didnt like Elezen and vice versa, Miqo'te didn't trust anyone. Strife brought people together but still even then its just sort of.. 'tolerated'

'its this or death' essentially.

RE: Racial slurs? - Marisa - 04-04-2015

This is more of a player-made thing than an actual in-world slur, but there's a fairly popular opinion that lalafells are overgrown popotos.