Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] (/showthread.php?tid=10961)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Post 2.55 Spoilers] - Magellan - 04-05-2015

I don't want this to be a blow-up thread, so please keep replies respectful.

I just honestly want to know why people rp around elements based on the MSQ. There have bee a LOT of threads on this site recently about the events of 2.55, and how it affects their roleplay, and I guess it just never occurred to me to have your rp so closely linked to the MSQ, that the MSQ could affect it in any way.

Thoughts? Opinions?

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - ChewableMorphine - 04-05-2015

I wouldn't say it's the MSQ in specific that affects the RP, rather than the blowback from events such as

The sultanate falling apart, Dravanians nearly destroying Ishgard (again), and the sudden recurrence of Primals thanks to Urianger: that sack of shit who knew too much. Also the fact even bystanders would be like "Why the fuck is the Flame General in prison and the Blades are on high alert"

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Warren Castille - 04-05-2015

A friendly request to either mark the OP title with open spoilers, or a request to keep everything under tabs for the time being. I know the content's new and a big deal, but it's still less than a week out. I'm not sure where the statute of limitations are.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Coatleque - 04-05-2015

The whole point of role-playing within a specific world is that your character is bound by the laws, lore, and events that shape that world. Even though many people do not role-play as a Warrior of Light, their characters reactions are still shaped by major events in the world around them. It's an organic reaction that makes our individual stories that much more believable/immersive.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Maril - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 12:52 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote: I wouldn't say it's the MSQ in specific that affects the RP, rather than the blowback from events such as

The sultanate falling apart, Dravanians nearly destroying Ishgard (again), and the sudden recurrence of Primals thanks to Urianger: that sack of shit who knew too much. Also the fact even bystanders would be like "Why the fuck is the Flame General in prison and the Blades are on high alert"

This essentially. 
The ripple-effect is big enough to fondle at least a little bit with most characters that RP a lot in Ul'dah, as I see it. 
From what I can tell, most people's own story-lines are not deeply connected with the MSQ, not to an extend of involving the big story characters in it or to say that they indirectly caused something that happened in it. 

You could compare it to say, if there was an orbital nuke on an entire zone. People would have to figure out where their characters would have been at that time to ensure they didn't get nuked, and for some it might have been a zone where they had placed some of their story stuff as taking place, such as "this is where my family lives".

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Marisa - 04-05-2015

Show Content

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Tiergan - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 12:57 PM)Coatleque Wrote: The whole point of role-playing within a specific world is that your character is bound by the laws, lore, and events that shape that world. Even though many people do not role-play as a Warrior of Light, their characters reactions are still shaped by major events in the world around them. It's an organic reaction that makes our individual stories that much more believable/immersive.

^ Basically this.

While most folks don't agree with playing as though all the events of the MSQ are happening specifically to your character (AKA, "I AM THE MAIN CHARACTER WHO DEFEATED ALL THE PRIMALS, FOUGHT GENERAL GAIUS, FOUGHT THE ASCIANS, ETC, ETC, ETC.") the events involved in the MSQ have realm-wide effects that even non-adventurers would feel.

Ignoring those events means ignoring a huge chunk of the roleplay setting itself. It's also missing out on a bunch of great RP opportunities. I can only imagine what things might be like for Ishgardians and Ul'dahns who play certain character types.

[EDIT: Removed obvious spoilers. Apologies!]

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Nebbs - 04-05-2015

Why do you think they do it? You must have some ideas at least.. come on.. not one?

Why might one RP around the MSQ?
We all take on board some of the setting to a lesser or greater extent. The MSQ gives a rich experience in RPG terms that some may wish to use for the basis of their character. It provides a very definite instantiation of their character in the game.

If you don't know why this is a bad idea then read this [The Role-Play Handbook]

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Sounsyy - 04-05-2015

I think that, unlike all other lore and side quests, the MSQ informs "current events" in the world. This is happening now. And while not all is pertinent to RP, there are some events in the MSQ which have wide, rippling effects on the world.

Show Content

These things are all part of the MSQ, and whether we choose to RP characters experiencing these events first hand or not, these events affect the world at large and the setting in which we RP. A year ago, probably no one in Ul'dah or Gridania had ever even heard of a place called "Doma." (Limsa maybe cuz they trade with everyone in the world.) Now its almost common to meet Doman RPers.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? - Seriphyn - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 12:57 PM)Coatleque Wrote: The whole point of role-playing within a specific world is that your character is bound by the laws, lore, and events that shape that world.  Even though many people do not role-play as a Warrior of Light, their characters reactions are still shaped by major events in the world around them.  It's an organic reaction that makes our individual stories that much more believable/immersive.

Yepyep.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Spoilers] - Magellan - 04-05-2015

I do appreciate the amicable tone so far, and of course understand many of your points. However, as stated, some people haven't gotten through the storyline yet. And so... what is 'current events' to some, is not to others, even if their character legitimately should have experienced it due to their position/title.

I understand using the MSQ to enhance your personal rp amongst smaller groups, but am confused as to trying to apply it to the broader community based setting. I mean... we are all on different timelines within the MSQ. My character resides in Ul'dah a lot, and would be very thoroughly confused if someone was rping that the sky was falling, when it very clearly is not to her.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Spoilers] - cuideag - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 12:57 PM)Coatleque Wrote: The whole point of role-playing within a specific world is that your character is bound by the laws, lore, and events that shape that world. Even though many people do not role-play as a Warrior of Light, their characters reactions are still shaped by major events in the world around them. It's an organic reaction that makes our individual stories that much more believable/immersive.

This. ^ Neither of my characters really have anything to do with MSQ but what has happened will undoubtedly shape their perspective and might even influence some actions in the future because, hey, it's not a static world and things happen outside of our own personal stories.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Spoilers] - Coatleque - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 01:26 PM)Magellan Wrote: ... some people haven't gotten through the storyline yet. And so... what is 'current events' to some, is not to others...

... [I] am confused as to trying to apply it to the broader community based setting. I mean... we are all on different timelines within the MSQ...

You do raise a valid concern. The only thing I could suggest in this case is to try your best to ignore spoilers, or seclude yourself away. As more and more people do finish the MSQ up to the current content, the majority of people are going to begin accepting the events as having passed.

That, unfortunately, is the price of role-play in an MMO format.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Spoilers] - Tiergan - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 01:26 PM)Magellan Wrote: I do appreciate the amicable tone so far, and of course understand many of your points. However, as stated, some people haven't gotten through the storyline yet. And so... what is 'current events' to some, is not to others, even if their character legitimately should have experienced it due to their position/title.

I understand using the MSQ to enhance your personal rp amongst smaller groups, but am confused as to trying to apply it to the broader community based setting. I mean... we are all on different timelines within the MSQ. My character resides in Ul'dah a lot, and would be very thoroughly confused if someone was rping that the sky was falling, when it very clearly is not to her.

I don't remember whether you've had a great deal of experience RPing in MMOs or not. Generally this is always a problem that happens in MMOs that have any sort of basic overarching story.

For the most part, in many MMO RP communities, every time a new patch comes out, its contents are the 'update' for current events happening in the world. Otherwise the world would still be in its extremely stagnant 1.0 version or 2.0 relaunch version of itself for all of the RP community which would be very stale, would lock out new things like Doman roleplayers -- and would even prohibit everything in the upcoming expansion as all of the events in the MSQ lead up to what is coming next. (AKA, you wouldn't be able to RP an Au Ra because they are virtually non-existent in the MSQ save for one main NPC.)

Also, it would directly clash with small things SE does to the world itself to imply time has changed, such as Mor Dhona constantly being updated to show that as time progresses, it becomes a bigger and better place.

While this isn't necessarily fair for newer RPers or people who are much slower to complete the MSQ - it would prove to be more of a detriment than an asset over time. Especially as SE continues to change/update the world and most of the RP community will have completed the story quests over those who have not.

RE: Why do people RP around the MSQ? [Spoilers] - Magellan - 04-05-2015

(04-05-2015, 01:37 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 01:26 PM)Magellan Wrote: I do appreciate the amicable tone so far, and of course understand many of your points. However, as stated, some people haven't gotten through the storyline yet. And so... what is 'current events' to some, is not to others, even if their character legitimately should have experienced it due to their position/title.

I don't remember whether you've had a great deal of experience RPing in MMOs or not.  Generally this is always a problem that happens in MMOs that have any sort of basic overarching story.

For the most part, in many MMO RP communities, every time a new patch comes out, its contents are the 'update' for current events happening in the world.  Otherwise the world would still be in its extremely stagnant 1.0 version or 2.0 relaunch version of itself for all of the RP community which would be very stale, would lock out new things like Doman roleplayers -- and would even prohibit everything in the upcoming expansion as all of the events in the MSQ lead up to what is coming next.

Also, it would directly clash with small things SE does to the world itself to imply time has changed, such as Mor Dhona constantly being updated to show that as time progresses, it becomes a bigger and better place.  

While this isn't necessarily fair for newer RPers or people who are much slower to complete the MSQ - it would prove to be more of a detriment than an asset over time.  Especially as SE continues to change/update the world and most of the RP community will have completed the story quests over those who have not.
Yea, it's a fair point. It just raises a concern in me that mmo communities are no place for casuals. I feel like I'm breaking my back already trying to get caught up in PvE, let alone RP, and it's just extremely overwhelming at times. I think I've just got to accept that mmo rp is not the correct realm for me, and stick to my smaller groups.

Thanks for the viewpoints on this all. Much appreciated <3