Hydaelyn Role-Players
'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) (/showthread.php?tid=11001)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Aya - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 11:55 AM)Melodia Wrote: I have seen so many things in QS....parades of people walking loops through Ul'dah and through the QS. I have seen OOC conversations that include "LOL that sux, yo." "xD" and other things similar. The place is a hodgepodge of players. Crafters at the leve desk; new players running in and out talking to Momodi; rp'ers; erpers; and just people there take in the scene. While spammy....buttluck (LOL) seems relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things. Smile
Going off of what Graehm said too, its definitely not inappropriate behavior in terms of the rules.  Obviously OOC conversations in the QS don't bother me in the least.  RPers have no special right to make use of the Quick Sand that doesn't extend to non-RPing players.  Where I begin to draw the line is on behavior that is obviously, and intentionally, spammy or harassing.  Spamming means filling people's chat boxes with repetitive text, while harassing means intentionally trying to interrupt or bother people (such as persistently standing on them, animation spamming, etc).

This was definitely a case of spamming, there can be no argument about that (whether or not you want to call it RP spam is entirely your call, it doesn't mean anything to me Smile ).  Anyone who was there was well within bounds to ignore and black list if they wished.  And, I'd say, since the behavior was from someone who is a member of the RP community it was not very respectful. 

Such things don't really have to be done in private to be respectful, but keeping intentionally spammy stuff out of very busy public RP fora seems a reasonable expectation of basic respect for RP.  To each their own, as always, but to each their own black list as well!

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Warren Castille - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 12:02 PM)Aaron Wrote: Yeah you're right. Im admitting straight up I was inconsiderate. Might've got b listed by a couple people too. But all I can say now is im sorry and ill be more careful next time. 

Me and Flynt were just having fun. No harm was intended.

Talking to the guy who helped write the book on being inconsiderate, so I understand. I can see where you're coming from, but not everyone will. Them's the breaks. That's why I mentioned rule #3: Act like a dick, get treated like one.

If you stop acting like a dick, people stop thinking you're one. Sometimes. Or people just think you're some kind of dongviper, waiting to strike when defenses are down, leaping out like some sort of tightly coiled wangserpent.

I forgot what I was saying.

(04-08-2015, 12:02 PM)Aaron Wrote: Me and Flynt were just having fun. No harm was intended.
I don't think anyone thinks harm was intended!  You should be safe from that accusation I think :-]

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - SicketySix - 04-08-2015

So let's see if I have this right. Intentionally trolls others in their Rp, spams emotes, then post the most unapologetic apology I've ever seen that isn't really apologizing for anything?

Seems legit, you're forgiven.
Note, I wasn't even there.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Edda - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 11:56 AM)Aaron Wrote: Everyone has their goofs, it's not like we were trolling maliciously. Not all of us can be IC 24/7 at the QS in a game that wasn't really meant for rp in the first place. 

I do apologize if I sound defensive or any thing if the sort. This is not my intention and if me and Flynt really annoyed some people im sure we won't do it again Smile
This is utterly ridiculous.

If you don't want to be IC, if you want to goof off and have fun, if you want to spam emotes: do it. No one gives a shit. If you have to do it, just do it in a place that is not full of people trying to roleplay. How hard is that? There are a million people by the marketboards that are not roleplaying that you could have bothered. They're doing something, sure, but at least they're not going to be immensely bothered by the sudden influx of bullshit in their chatbox. If they want to blacklist you they will, and that will be that.

No one here really cares if this happens again, because it already happens enough. We can only hope you just have enough sense to not do it so publicly and end up on half the servers blacklist. But if that's your goal - go for it. I certainly won't stop you.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Anstarra - 04-08-2015

I like how this thread has become a microcosm for the RP community as a whole.
Some people are casual.
Some take it super serious.
Some shrug nonsense off.
Some get mad and blacklist.
And almost everyone likes to get overwhelmingly verbose and express their opinion, whether it's necessary or not, and whether the topic deserves it or not~

I don't know if it was a good idea to make this thread, though I'm pretty sure the OP had good intentions in doing so, and wasn't really just trying to advertize his nonsense. I don't think the responses he's gotten in this thread will come as a surprise to him, that some were okay with it and others were/would be annoyed.

Maybe he's just hoping an apology might take him off the BLists of people who might've blocked him reflexively during it!

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Spethah - 04-08-2015

"You know today I'm going to go to the QS and RP. Be a nice change! Maybe I'll find someone to RP with in the future. That'd be aweso--"

-sees spam tins being thrown around-

-turns around and leaves-

That was the best "first time in -placehold location-" experience.

Needless to say the "I'm not using logic and sense and I'm being borderline asshole" bells were ringing when I walked in and I just left. But hey! Wasn't all that bad, I got an animus book done instead.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Anstarra - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 12:04 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you stop acting like a dick, people stop thinking you're one. Sometimes. Or people just think you're some kind of dongviper, waiting to strike when defenses are down, leaping out like some sort of tightly coiled wangserpent.

I forgot what I was saying.

I think these analogies are worth keeping note of for posterity.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Zhavi - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 12:07 PM)Anstarra Wrote: And almost everyone likes to get overwhelmingly verbose and express their opinion, whether it's necessary or not, and whether the topic deserves it or not~

Writers, yo. Comes with the territory. Big Grin

(04-08-2015, 12:07 PM)Anstarra Wrote: Some get mad and blacklist.
*writes something super-angry and verbose*

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Melkire - 04-08-2015

[Moderator Hardhat]

This thread is on-watch. Some folks have gotten rather expressive, but we've not outright broken rules yet despite coming perilously close. Might be handing out some warnings at the least.

Please respect Rule #1: Be excellent to each other.

[/Moderator Hardhat]

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-08-2015

...Am I the only one who will Blist randoms when I see spamming and remove before I logout?

I'm also guilty of blisting random people I don't know when the Quicksand's really full. Not because I don't like them, but because I can better manage my chatbox. If someone looks like they're entering my little bubble of RP, I unBlist them and check the log.

In a way, it's basically like using party chat, but without the party. And it cuts down the chat scroll.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - D'eshel - 04-08-2015

Quote: I don't know if it was a good idea to make this thread, though I'm pretty sure the OP had good intentions in doing so, and wasn't really just trying to advertize his nonsense.

Not that I want to bash the OP any further, but I think you might want to reread his post.

Usually, when you regret something and you want to apologise, you don't describe your actions in a way that make you seem you have fond memories/you were enjoying yourself/you're proud of what you've done and then at the end, add a sidenote that you apologise for it.

Yeah, this thread wasn't really needed, but I think we can all agree that there were tons of other, better ways one could write it down.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - cuideag - 04-08-2015

(04-08-2015, 12:02 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 11:57 AM)cuideag Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 11:56 AM)Aaron Wrote: To be fair, in Flynts defense. 

Im sure everyone here has had at least one time they were so OOC they just goofed off regardless of where they were. I know I have. I was trolling with Flynt that time but in my defense too this was honestly not how I saw it playing out. At first we were just betting via rolls and I kept winning so it kinda spiraled.

I can't speak for everyone, but... no. Why would I? It's rude and it's disrespectful. RPers get enough crap from anti-RPers.
You seem to have missed the point of the question. I don't want to get into a moral argument over this so I'll just say *shrug*

... what question?

Y'all were trolling and y'all aren't being shy about it. Trolling is generally considered to be kind of a not cool thing to do. That's why it's called trolling, friend.

If you want to do it in the future, at least have the courtesy to do it in private so not everyone has to see it. Easy peasy.

RE: 'Pologies for any inconvenience (And also buttluck.) - Seriphyn - 04-08-2015

This thread is utterly ridiculous. Is this all real?

Flynt, for someone who has their age publicly listed as 17 years old, you come out with some insightful posts that I am admittedly a fan of (I appreciate forthright, uncensored opinions that offer scrutiny to group behavior).

This, though...IDK if I should say you're doing a discredit to yourself or just gloss over it.