Hydaelyn Role-Players
How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) (/showthread.php?tid=11054)

Pages: 1 2

How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Aldotsk - 04-11-2015

As the topic says, has anyone kind of wondered if FF14 will only keep Garlean Empire for the rest of the series or do you think it'll eventually come to it's conclusion in one or two more expansions after Heavensward?

My honest theory is that Garlemald won't stay forever and it'd probably meet it's end by the third expansion of FF14 franchise, or even 4th. Hate to contrast to WoW's Wrath of the Lich King here, but a lot of people were not expecting for them to reach Icecrown until Blizzard announced it.

After Heavensward, perhaps we might be visiting Othard in the new expansion to reunite two continents to attack north - which would be the continent where Garlean Empire resides (4th Expansion perhaps?)

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Chris Ganale - 04-11-2015

I'm very okay with this, and will be highly disappointed if we don't get our all-out war with Garlemald.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Edda - 04-11-2015

AS MANY AS IT TAKES

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Cato - 04-11-2015

I'm hoping that the Garlean Empire won't be destroyed. That'd be rather boring and I'd much prefer that Garlemald ends up being like the Archadian Empire of FFXII. Both armies are aggressive and expansive and force rival nations into either being destroyed or made to bend the knee and become part of their empire.

Add some memorable Garlean characters along the lines of Gabranth, Larsa and Drace from FFXII and there's no reason why we can't have a more morally grey rather than morally black insight into Garlean society.

As for the next expansion? I suspect we'll see Ala Mhigo and more 'floating continent' stuff before we hit Garlemald itself. We could even end up going to a completely different area that nobody expects.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Aldotsk - 04-11-2015

Wouldn't it rather be more of changing the new ruler and turning the empire into republic or democracy? That's how I'd see it. The WoL and others would kill the last "antagonist based" emperor and completely shatter the empire into more of lesser nation like the other three and make an alliance with them.

Otherwise, the entire empire would really fall apart.

Also I really doubt FF14's main focus was to fight against Garlean Empire forever. Technically the Heavensward is now focused on battling against mostly Dravanians.

We also haven't seen a lot of other islanders that may exist in the lore too.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Sounsyy - 04-11-2015

My guess:

3.0 Heavensward = "Sky" - Ishgard arc + Dragonsong War and Ul'dah close.

4.0 Ala Mhigo = Eorzean Alliance (finally) supports the Ala Mhigan Resistance and battles to secure Ala Mhigo before the new Emperor puts his full force behind the assault on Eorzea. This would secure a fortified foothold to fight the Empire from and drives the Empire mostly out of Eorzea. Opens up more of the Shroud, and old Gridanian wounds and lore about the Autumn War and the nations' treatment of the Ala Mhigan refugees. And finally having most of Eorzea opens the next expansion up for...

5.0 = "Sea" Limsa Lominsa story arc that's been in the background since 1.0 days. With Ala Mhigo retaken, Garlemald confronts Eorzea on all fronts, and it's up to Limsa blockade to weather the storm while the rest of the Eorzean Alliance fights Garlemald on land on the Ala Mhigan front. This expansion would open up the continent of Meracydia to the south, Thavnair to the East, and the New World to the West. This is our "exiting Eorzea" expansion, but not quite pushing into Garlean controlled areas.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - ChewableMorphine - 04-11-2015

If it doesn't end with a superraid, like, Frontlines on a megaboss (Bahamut, maybe not, but Omega? More likely), I'll be kinda let down. Each grand company, maybe plus Ishgard for the full 100 player raid, on it for the very very last patch/expac for the game. Final Fantasy is known for their godlike final bosses, so XIV should be no exception. 

That is my dream.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Maril - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 03:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: My guess:

4.0 Ala Mhigo = Eorzean Alliance (finally) supports the Ala Mhigan Resistance and battles to secure Ala Mhigo before the new Emperor puts his full force behind the assault on Eorzea. This would secure a fortified foothold to fight the Empire from and drives the Empire mostly out of Eorzea. Opens up more of the Shroud, and old Gridanian wounds and lore about the Autumn War and the nations' treatment of the Ala Mhigan refugees. And finally having most of Eorzea opens the next expansion up for...

5.0 = "Sea" Limsa Lominsa story arc that's been in the background since 1.0 days. With Ala Mhigo retaken, Garlemald confronts Eorzea on all fronts, and it's up to Limsa blockade to weather the storm while the rest of the Eorzean Alliance fights Garlemald on land on the Ala Mhigan front. This expansion would open up the continent of Meracydia to the south, Thavnair to the East, and the New World to the West. This is our "exiting Eorzea" expansion, but not quite pushing into Garlean controlled areas.

Pretty much sums up what I am hoping for Big Grin

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Ryanti - 04-11-2015

I can't imagine the Garlean Empire would ever be completely destroyed. Right now, it is the most influential nation on the entire planet, and when you consider just how much land the Empire has conquered and how large it is, it would probably end up killing itself before anyone else kills it.

(04-11-2015, 03:12 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: My guess:

Sounsyy's theorycrafting here would have us not even touching Garlemald's land beyond Ala Mhigo until at least the third expansion. We're looking at the year 2017 here. Maybe further. Now, tossing out the concept of time here, would we ever get to the point where we push into their own territory and start wrecking faces? Sure.

But even if we outright defeat them in every sense of the word, the Empire will not die. Empires don't die that well. Just look at Rome. It 'died' in the 400's, but it truly didn't die until at least a thousand years later because of the Byzantines.

My theory suggests that the Garlean Empire will, in defeat, change. They will evolve into something else. They won't vanish from the face of the planet. They will instead become their own Byzantines.

What I hope will happen over the coming months/years is that they show the Empire in more of a grey light versus a black light. I've never been convinced that the Empire is truly evil. They just have bad apples. Eorzea is no different. Right now the only thing separating the two is point of view. I would like for them to highlight that more.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Chris Ganale - 04-11-2015

I just want to cut a bloody swath through armies of Bucketheads. I'm not hard to please.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Sin - 04-11-2015

I was thinking about this recently and my friends just told me to focus on the current expansion...

But... As I see it, the way its been done in every MMO I've ever played or heard of is to do new themes in each expansion in order to keep it fresh and exciting. Colors, music, landscapes... and even plotlines.

The problem with Ala Mhigo is that assuming that the next expansion is to take back Ala Mhigo and we get Gyr Abania and Xelphatol the bulk of such an expansion's plot would still revolve around fighting a war against the Empire for the liberation of Ala Mhigo. (Unless they just say 'we won' in the expansion cinematic, and boom we're in Ala Mhigo. Seems dumb though.)

To have the next expansion after that be pushing further up into Garlemald territory would or even dealing with Garlemald at all would be too soon. "We just fought the Garleans!" It would feel stale in my opinion.

No, I think if the next expansion is Ala Mhigo they'll add Xelphatol and Gyr Abania, and then some sort of threat we've never heard of will arise from those mountains and take us southward to Meracydia or perhaps Westward to whatever that is. -Then- we might see some more Garlean aggression, and roll our way into Garlemald in an expansion focusing on Ilsabard.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Flashhelix - 04-11-2015

3.0 = Ishgard/Dravania
4.0 = Ala Mhigo
5.0 = Othard/Doma
6.0 = Garlemald
7.0 = America
8.0 = Mexico
9.0 = Trailer Park
10.0 = Springfield
11.0 = Compton transition into Def Jam Records Presents Final Fantasy XIV

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Cato - 04-11-2015

(04-11-2015, 03:04 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: Wouldn't it rather be more of changing the new ruler and turning the empire into republic or democracy? That's how I'd see it. The WoL and others would kill the last "antagonist based" emperor and completely shatter the empire into more of lesser nation like the other three and make an alliance with them.

Otherwise, the entire empire would really fall apart.

Also I really doubt FF14's main focus was to fight against Garlean Empire forever. Technically the Heavensward is now focused on battling against mostly Dravanians.

We also haven't seen a lot of other islanders that may exist in the lore too.

Well, that's pretty much what happened at the end of FFXII with Archades. The transition would take a long time, realistically, so having it happen overnight wouldn't be very realistic. The thing to remember is that the races within the Eorzean Alliance have mostly all been at war with each other in the past so there's hope that tensions between the Garleans may eventually subside especially if the Eorzeans end up becoming more technologically advanced themselves.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Marisa - 04-12-2015

K, time for my string of theories.  

First off, mark my words: Garlemald is gonna end up becoming the good guys. Anyone who's played Baten Kaitos should know what I'm talking about. Or Skies of Arcadia (and I honestly believe that parts of XIV were inspired by Skies of Arcadia). 

Now, we all know there are no off-screen deaths in FFXIV (or FF, for that matter), so I firmly believe that Gaius van Baelsar is still alive. And I don't know about you guys, but I genuinely think that Gaius is a good man. I also believe that Gaius will be the one who leads the Empire to become a force of good. He's had a lot of time to soul-search since the Praetorium, and I think he's gonna realize that Eorzeans are happy with their lot in life. Because really, his goal all along was to liberate us from our supposed tyrants.

RE: How many more expansions do you think Garlean Empire will be destroyed? (Spoilers) - Aldotsk - 04-12-2015

I do also have that feeling of agreement that Gaius isn't really the bad guy but he's really the one who took the burden of becoming a villain to the warrior of Light to test their strengths. But then again, he's kind of responsible for razing other nations with his conquest and dominating all of Primals - so I am not quite sure what his full purpose was besides him telling the WOL that he intends to end the false idolizing and false lies of the politics behind all three nations.

But if Gaius was to come back as supposedly, he's not dead - then who is he really allied with?