Hydaelyn Role-Players
What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? (/showthread.php?tid=11088)

What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - SicketySix - 04-13-2015

Good Morning everyone!

I'd like to reroll my main and have him be sort of a wanderer/adventurer who strolls into Eorzea for the first time and go from there. Is there any reasonable speculation or lore surrounding the outside of Eorzea from where he could come from? I want it to be lore appropriate so just curious before I do his backstory/wiki etc.

Do we know anything of other cultures and city-states?

The reason I ask is I am doing a major RP revamp and changing a few things as to not lock myself in to a certain style of RP and etc.

For instance, Manasas Reed was a pirate, but pirates are seldom seen wandering around in the desert, (Ul'dah). Also, because of being a pirate, it would make sense he's not overly nice or thoughtful to those around him. End result is it was difficult on an OOC level to approach someone IC. I tired to make him have some sort of personal honor code, but it didn't seem immersive and I just cant get invested in him.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Tynos Riller - 04-13-2015

Dusks. Alot of Dusks. The majority of the Dusk population live in communities outside of Eorzea raiding caravans towards eorzea. As for actual city states outside? I have a feeling there are more but to my knowledge we have no info on it.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - SessionZero - 04-13-2015

I think the only places we have any real lore on would be Doma and Garlemald. 

As for locking yourself into a specific style of RP, while some archetypes would probably be more open, every style is going to be intrinsically locked in some way. I have a Doman wandering warrior, but keep her approachable and open by having her be inexperienced and timid, which invites others to give her advice or just want to spend time with her learning her story. This still cuts me off logically from other avenues of RP (she would, for instance, never consider running with a criminal outfit) but keep enough avenues open so as to feel non-restrictive. 

Hope that all helps a bit.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

Shamelessly ripping everything from Gamer Escape:

Quote:Hydaelyn is the world in which Final Fantasy XIV takes place. Though it is the name of the entire planet, the term is very rarely used by its inhabitants, for to understand the concept of a planet, one must first know of other worlds, and most on Hydaelyn do not. Players will begin their adventures in a city-state of Eorzea, a realm consisting of the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands, the largest of which being Vylbrand.

The continent of Aldenard is part of the Global Region known as Eorzea. It is the smallest continent in Hydaelyn, and is surrounded by several islands. A land bridge connects Aldenard to the land mass containing the other two continents.

Ilsabard is a continent to the northeast of Aldenard. It is currently dominated by the Garlean Empire and home to their capital city of Garlemald.

Othard is the eastern-most of Hydaelyn's Three Great Continents. It is presently part of the Garlean Empire, which is seated on the middle content of Ilsabard.

The island of Vylbrand is part of the region of Eorzea. It lies off the western coast of Aldenard and is home to the city-state of Limsa Lominsa, which is located on the island's southwestern coast. Vylbrand is bordered by the Rhotano Sea to the south, the Indigo Deep to the northwest, and the Strait of Merlthor to the east. Several smaller islands are connected to the main island by brilliant ivory bridges.

Regions located on the island include La Noscea on the southern side and O'Ghomoro in the north. The island is divided in half by a large volcano at its center.

So in short, what's out there? Garleans. You can see why this is rough for RP.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - SicketySix - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 09:48 AM)SessionZero Wrote: I think the only places we have any real lore on would be Doma and Garlemald. 

As for locking yourself into a specific style of RP, while some archetypes would probably be more open, every style is going to be intrinsically locked in some way. I have a Doman wandering warrior, but keep her approachable and open by having her be inexperienced and timid, which invites others to give her advice or just want to spend time with her learning her story. This still cuts me off logically from other avenues of RP (she would, for instance, never consider running with a criminal outfit) but keep enough avenues open so as to feel non-restrictive. 

Hope that all helps a bit.
Yeah I'm fairly new to the RP scene so I think I made a ton of mistakes with him. One of them being limiting him to such a tight strict line that it never made sense to deviate from him.

Being new to RP, I don't come into this game with my buddies etc. to kinda show me the ropes. I had planned to find a FC which to join and kind of help me along. I wanted to play a criminal type character but with the lack of criminal type players/free companies compared to good aligned ones, coupled with my odd playing hours I was getting almost no interaction in-game.

(04-13-2015, 09:53 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Shamelessly ripping everything from Gamer Escape:

Quote:Hydaelyn is the world in which Final Fantasy XIV takes place. Though it is the name of the entire planet, the term is very rarely used by its inhabitants, for to understand the concept of a planet, one must first know of other worlds, and most on Hydaelyn do not. Players will begin their adventures in a city-state of Eorzea, a realm consisting of the continent of Aldenard and its surrounding islands, the largest of which being Vylbrand.

The continent of Aldenard is part of the Global Region known as Eorzea. It is the smallest continent in Hydaelyn, and is surrounded by several islands. A land bridge connects Aldenard to the land mass containing the other two continents.

Ilsabard is a continent to the northeast of Aldenard. It is currently dominated by the Garlean Empire and home to their capital city of Garlemald.

Othard is the eastern-most of Hydaelyn's Three Great Continents. It is presently part of the Garlean Empire, which is seated on the middle content of Ilsabard.

The island of Vylbrand is part of the region of Eorzea. It lies off the western coast of Aldenard and is home to the city-state of Limsa Lominsa, which is located on the island's southwestern coast. Vylbrand is bordered by the Rhotano Sea to the south, the Indigo Deep to the northwest, and the Strait of Merlthor to the east. Several smaller islands are connected to the main island by brilliant ivory bridges.

Regions located on the island include La Noscea on the southern side and O'Ghomoro in the north. The island is divided in half by a large volcano at its center.

So in short, what's out there? Garleans. You can see why this is rough for RP.
I originally thought about rping a Garlean, but the naming conventions seemed to be speculation and beside that, seemed to make no sense to me.

Looks like I may just have to figure something else out.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Warren Castille - 04-13-2015

(04-13-2015, 09:59 AM)Casden Reeves Wrote: I originally thought about rping a Garlean, but the naming conventions seemed to be speculation and beside that, seemed to make no sense to me.

Looks like I may just have to figure something else out.

It wouldn't be unheard of. There's even an FC out there specifically for it (Look up <GARLE> I think). The obvious problems are pretty big ones, though:

1) Almost guarantees you're an enemy
2) Puts you in direct opposition to the MSQ
3) Handcuffs you to being "hidden" all the time, because Garleans are basically kill-on-sight.

So you could play a Garlean with the trade-off that NO ONE CAN EVER KNOW YOU'RE A GARLEAN. Not sure how much fun that'd be, but there's some making it work.

Yeah, I think that'd be a little difficult for a newbie roleplayer.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Seriphyn - 04-13-2015

There is the New World, a continent to the far west. There is also the city-state of Radz-at-Han on the island of Thavnair to the "Near East". It is similar to Ul'dah in being Arabesque but is possibly more deep desert style. Finally, there is Meracydia, a continent to the south.

RE: What do we know outside of Eorzea's land map? - Sounsyy - 04-13-2015

Fortunately, the Garleans haven't taken over the world completely. They're not the Allagans thankfully. Pretty much all of the "Great Continents" of Ilsabard (Garlemald) and Othard (Doma) aka the "Far East" is under complete Garlean control. However, there still exists several other continents and islands that are free of occupation for the moment and would make suitable "starting points" however, the catch is the lore on these places is somewhat limited and not like to be filled in any time soon.

Thavnair (the Near East) is a large island in the Sea of Jade to the East, near Othard. It is not yet under Garlean rule. What we know of the continent is that it's capital city-state is Radz-at-Han and it is an extremely warm-temperatured place. Apparently very hot and humid summers. Thavnair and Limsa appear to have fairly steady trade relations as well.

To the south, the Cieldaeles and the Southern Isles. The Cieldaeles are mostly tropical and are home to a large Lominsan presence. Lalafell are the native settlers here. The Southern Isles range from rolling grasslands to desert isles the further south you get towards Meracydia. Lalafell are also the primary inhabitants of these island chains. To the far south is Meracydia, we know extremely little of this place - including who lives there currently. We know that it was once home to the dragonkin sired by Bahamut, but we do not know who all lives there now. We do know at least it is partially a desert continent.

Conversely there are the North Sea Isles in the Bloodbrine. This chain is home to Sharlayan and the Isle of Val (which is now vanished). In times of old, the North Sea Isles were the home of Sea Wolf vikings and pirates who ravaged the lands in the north. We do not know if Sharlayan still boasts a similarly large Sea Wolf population or not, but it's likely Sharlayan, being a large school of learning in the world, has attracted many diverse races and peoples, as evidenced by the Circle of Knowing. Elezen, Hyur, Miqo'te, etc also seem to be common.

To the west is the New World, home to the Mamool Ja beastmen. This continent was discovered by Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn in 1561 (16 years ago) and has since been the source of great imports into Eorzea. We do not yet know very much about the continent, only that there seems to be a great deal of trade going on, which leads me to believe there are Lominsan colonists there or there are an established group of New Worlders, other than or possible one in the same as the Mamool Ja.

In Eorzea, there are also several islands and island chains as well as the Farreach to the north which is inaccessible currently. Mazlaya, Bianaq, and the Pearl. You could also choose to be from Ala Mhigo, which is now under Garlean rule, but once a great city-state of Eorzea. The highlands of Gyr Abania are currently inaccessible and prior to the fall, the nation of Ala Mhigo was rather stand-offish with the other nations. So could very easily play your Ala Mhigan as a stranger to the rest of southern Eorzea.

Hope this helps with some options and brainstorming! ^^