Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? (/showthread.php?tid=11123)

Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - S'khai Nunh - 04-15-2015

So, back in 1.0, Conjurers used to be closer to a Red Mage - we had Fire, Blizzard, Levinbolt, etc; Thaumaturgy was also significantly different.

Is there any lore to explain why Conjurers can't cast these spells any more? Why there was such a shift?

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-15-2015

No real lore changes. If anything, use 1.0 skills if they fit your RP better.

Mechanically, it was SE forcing us into Healer, DPS and Tank roles for 2.0 DF. 1.0 did not have that.

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - S'khai Nunh - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 10:10 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: No real lore changes. If anything, use 1.0 skills if they fit your RP better.

Mechanically, it was SE forcing us into Healer, DPS and Tank roles for 2.0 DF. 1.0 did not have that.
Ah, okay.

I'm working through an RP that takes place before the Calamity, right now, so that the player and I have an idea of how our characters interacted prior to such a huge upheaval of everything.

It occurred to me that Khai learned Conjury before he headed off to Carteneau; had his abilities changed with the coming of Dalamud? Did taht pehraps disrupt the aether? Had he had to re-learn conjury and perhaps what he knew, and the knack he had prior, is well gone? Etc etc.

Is there perhaps some sort of fanlore to explain it? Surely I'm not the only one...

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - Sounsyy - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 10:08 PM)Skhai Nunh Wrote: Is there any lore to explain why Conjurers can't cast these spells any more? Why there was such a shift?

It was a complete retcon acknowledged by Fernehalwes at the Las Vegas Lore Panel. The Battle Team came to the lore team and told them that they were making CNJ into healer and THM into damage and splitting the elemental wheel between the two. Lore Team said that wasn't possible in lore, but weren't allowed a say in the final revision of 2.0 class mechanics. SO.

1.0 Class mechanics actually fall in line with Eorzean Lore. 2.0 Classes... not so much. There is not (and according to Fernehalwes) never will be any lore to substantiate the change. They just swept it under the rug and hoped players wouldn't notice. That said, if you want your CNJ to have full access to the Elemental Wheel like it did in 1.0, go for it. The lore actually supports it, despite 2.0 mechanics not supporting it. The 2.0 Quest, "The Greatest Stories Never Told" actually references the 1.0 Conjury Elemental Wheel described in the book Essences and Permutations: A Treatise of the Six Elements. Meaning the lore is still canon and there, even if mechanics choose not to follow it.

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - S'khai Nunh - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 10:20 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 10:08 PM)S Wrote: Is there any lore to explain why Conjurers can't cast these spells any more? Why there was such a shift?

It was a complete retcon acknowledged by Fernehalwes at the Las Vegas Lore Panel. The Battle Team came to the lore team and told them that they were making CNJ into healer and THM into damage and splitting the elemental wheel between the two. Lore Team said that wasn't possible in lore, but weren't allowed a say in the final revision of 2.0 class mechanics. SO.

1.0 Class mechanics actually fall in line with Eorzean Lore. 2.0 Classes... not so much. There is not (and according to Fernehalwes) never will be any lore to substantiate the change. They just swept it under the rug and hoped players wouldn't notice. That said, if you want your CNJ to have full access to the Elemental Wheel like it did in 1.0, go for it. The lore actually supports it, despite 2.0 mechanics not supporting it. The 2.0 Quest, "The Greatest Stories Never Told" actually references the 1.0 Conjury Elemental Wheel described in the book Essences and Permutations: A Treatise of the Six Elements. Meaning the lore is still canon and there, even if mechanics choose not to follow it.
Fantastic! That makes me so amazingly happy, as that's part of the lore I based S'khai off of.

Thank you!

I also need to PM you with stuff for lore-checking. o Ao

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - Warren Castille - 04-16-2015

Sounsyy put it best (as usual/always when it comes to lore) but I want to emphasize that those changes didn't come in 2.0. The original 1.0 release skills got changed in (I believe) the 1.18 Class/Job change update, which was the first big sweeping change that Yoshi got to drop to try and patch fun into the game. It's not as if we all got timeskipped and found a new skillset, it was literally an overnight change where you woke up with a whole new kit upon log-in.

RE: Is there any lore behind the massive skill/spell changes between 1.0 and 2.0? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 07:38 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Sounsyy put it best (as usual/always when it comes to lore) but I want to emphasize that those changes didn't come in 2.0. The original 1.0 release skills got changed in (I believe) the 1.18 Class/Job change update, which was the first big sweeping change that Yoshi got to drop to try and patch fun into the game. It's not as if we all got timeskipped and found a new skillset, it was literally an overnight change where you woke up with a whole new kit upon log-in.

I remember hearing about that. I think I tried out 1.0 around the 1.20 patch. ...but I do remember having a few more elements on my CNJ that are now gone. ...maybe it was just some nice cross-classing. I miss those heal-ish THM/BLM skills :<